Sponsored

New cast iron steering boxes adjustable?

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Are the new cast iron steering boxes adjustable? Would like to eliminate some of the wandering
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The updated cast iron steering box, is probably not causing your issue. Have your alignment checked. The JL’s with the electronic steering, like about 6 degrees of positive Caster. Also check your tire pressure.

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Would like to know as well and if anyone has adjusted it...

Sponsored

OP
OP
m3reno

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The updated cast iron steering box, is probably not causing your issue. Have your alignment checked. The JL’s with the electronic steering, like about 6 degrees of positive Caster. Also check your tire pressure.
I lowered my tire pressure from 40 (set by dealer) to 36 which is what is labeled on the inside of the door jam. I also added Teraflex stabilizer. This helped but the wandering was still there. I then installed Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks and set them to the softest setting and it helped a lot with the wandering. But still needed to make micro corrections to the wheel as there is a dead spot in the center. I then had the alignment checked and all bolts underneath checked for proper torque and everything was in spec including caster being set to 5.8 which is within factory spec's. For reference my 2018 JL drove great and I never had an issue with wandering. My Sport altitude is about 2" higher from factory. If I could just get rid of the dead spot by making a minute adjustment to the steering box I'm positive that would make it less cumbersome on long drives. Since my Jeep is a 2022 and fitted with the iron Steering box , are they adjustable?

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The steering adjustment screw is there... I can see it... would you mind heating it up with a torch to break the glue and adjust it 1/8 of a turn?

OP
OP
m3reno

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The steering adjustment screw is there... I can see it... would you mind heating it up with a torch to break the glue and adjust it 1/8 of a turn?
I would do that but am concerned as I heard these newer boxes are not adjustable. I need to verify that it can be adjusted first before I attempt to try it.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Not sure I've ever driven anything that didn't require "micro-corrections" while driving.

G. ;)
Sponsored