Sponsored

New car smell?

Wingnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep soon...
My new Jeep is (fingers crossed) to arrive next week, and I’ve got a simple question that will help me plan ahead. My elderly mother who I’ll be taxiing around in the near future has some lung issues and is sensitive to strong smells.

Can you share your experiences with the new car smell (especially those sensitive to smells)? How bad is it on day 1 arrival? How long before it’s not noticeable?

Thank-you!
Sponsored

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
2 months, 2k miles, top and doors off multiples times for days at a time, and still has the new car smell. It is not as strong as the prototypical new car smell, though.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Mine went away after 3 weeks or so...or maybe I got used to it....I drive with the windows down 90% of the time....now smells like smoke because I went camping and forgot to rolled up the windows after 2 hours I lit the campfire :clap::facepalm: dont really mind and it's almost gone ...or got used to it again lol

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Ours is my wife’s and we’ve had it for a few months now. Got in it to run get coffee this morning and was amazed how it still smelled New Car Smell.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My new Jeep is (fingers crossed) to arrive next week, and I’ve got a simple question that will help me plan ahead. My elderly mother who I’ll be taxiing around in the near future has some lung issues and is sensitive to strong smells.

Can you share your experiences with the new car smell (especially those sensitive to smells)? How bad is it on day 1 arrival? How long before it’s not noticeable?

Thank-you!
Honestly, the Jeep Wrangler has one of the strongest "new car smells" I've ever experienced. And, the JL smells exactly the way my 2012 JK did.

I've had mine for 3 weeks and on a sunny day it's still very strong when I hop in to leave work.

Obviously it's just a result of the chemicals used by the suppliers for Jeep interiors.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I've had the rig for six weeks now and I still smell it. It makes me quite nauseous, so I drive with the windows down if at all possible.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
$7 at WalMart... Put some in 3 or 4 open tupperware containers inside overnight. Be sure to take them out when you drive so you don't spill baking soda everywhere or the cops think it is cocaine. lol

bakingsoda.jpeg

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
So I retract my old statement in a way...still smells like new after 2500 miles and some smoke....my cousin wanted to check out my jl and said still smell brand new lol

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I'd say around 2 months especially if vehicle is kept outdoors, another smell is the leather on the seats, depending on the quality of the leather it should have that smell almost the life of the vehicle/seats (my sports card is 5 years old and still has a very strong leather smell which I like) , and I use a leather treatment that enhances that smell. I have gotten used to it, but people that get in the jeep say it still has the new car smell...

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Along with the typical new car smell, my wife noticed the hard top emits a scent as well since it’s made of fiberglass and other stuff. It’s gone down quite. But, but it’s still there. I try to drive with the windows down as much as possible to get rid of it. I didn’t remember being as strong in my JK, but it probably sat on the lot a few months before I bough it...it was a manual.

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
My hard top gives off a strong chemical smell also. And the new Mopar floor mats stink so badly lol