Warrior17

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Hi guys,

will be ordering a sport s 4xe. Was wondering what recommendations, pros/cons etc would be to going this route. Relatively new to the forum and def new to the 4xe platform. Thanks!
Sponsored

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD
I think if you want some help, add a little more to your question. The sport s 4xe is brand new and no one has one yet. Is your question about the 4xe, sport s, wrangler in general. . . ?

OP
OP

Warrior17

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I think if you want some help, add a little more to your question. The sport s 4xe is brand new and no one has one yet. Is your question about the 4xe, sport s, wrangler in general. . . ?
I guess more pros/cons to the hybrid itself with the wranglers

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD
Have you read about distance on the system, power, extra complexity? I think that’s the best place to start. There’s a lot of threads on all this

OP
OP

Warrior17

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Have you read about distance on the system, power, extra complexity? I think that’s the best place to start. There’s a lot of threads on all this
Sorry very new member, not used to this app yet, I will do some digging. Thanks for not taking my head off 😬

Sponsored

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
I guess more pros/cons to the hybrid itself with the wranglers
The hybrid system works flawlessly. Probably one of the best hybrid designs on the market.

That being said the 4xe line has a lot of recalls and emerging issues, as with all new model vehicles. Parts are also very difficult to get your hands on, so if something does happen expect it to be at the dealer for a significant amount of time (if the dealer even has qualified 4xe techs that know what they're doing)

Unless you're dead set on a hybrid I'd suggest the normal 3.6l or the 392 if you can afford it.

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
There are some great threads here that help answer that question. In my case, I can drive to town and back on one charge. I do a lot of short trips, etc. So for my use case, it is great.

If you are able to charge at work and home, then it might be a good fit - unless you have a long commute. There are some guys that live in apartments or condos and so charging at home isn't as easy as someone that can park in their garage, etc.

As far as capability? On and off the? It is just like any other Jeep. That is one thing I liked about the system, it has the same engine and components as the normal 2 liter, just the 4xe has the hybrid system added.

The 392 is a very expensive option - but it isn't that far off, price-wise, from a fully loaded Rubi 4xe.

Interestingly, I have seen more people recommend the regular 2.0 over the 3.6L.

No matter which version you go for, you will want to look at replacing the 12V battery as soon as you can. The vast majority of problems are traced to a crap OEM battery.

I would read up in this section on the other guys who tackled the same '4xe or not' question. For some folks, like me, it was a perfect use case and I really love mine. For some other guys, not being able to plug in and charge regularly really limits the hybrid part and it might not be worth it.

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
There is a ton of misinformation on the 4xe by people who have never actually driven or owned one. Make sure to do your own research and perhaps search more on the 4xe specific forum to get accurate answers.

The wrangler 4xe is a power first mpg second type of hybrid. Short of the 392 it's the best power plant as it gives the best driving experience in terms of power, balance, and city efficiency. Don't expect Prius mpgs, it's mostly there to add power and a bit of efficiency to city driving, not to boost mpgs a ton.

The 4xe has had teething problems as any other new vehicle but the major complaints and issues have all been resolved at this point since it's in its 4th model year. Given the price difference, tax incentives, and the general performance of the system there is a reason the 4xe is just shy of 50% q2 wrangler sales at this point as it's really a no brainer for the majority of people unless they're biased against hybrids.

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Don't expect Prius mpgs, it's mostly there to add power and a bit of efficiency to city driving, not to boost mpgs a ton.
I average better MPG on the 4xe than a Prius. Not unusual for me to get 70+MPG between fillups (hand calculated). If you typically drive less than 25 miles between charges you can operate the 4xe in electric mode and exceed Prius mpg.

I had worried about the 4xe reliability but my 2023 model has been almost perfect in 12 months of ownership. I had one issue a couple of months ago where it stopped charging and presented an error message to service the charging system. No issue with how it drove. Took it to the dealer the next day and got it back the same day - software update fixed the issue.

This is my first Jeep, I've owned Land Cruisers for decades. I drove every new Wrangler model and found the Rubicon 4xe drove the best out of them all. No regrets so far.
Sponsored