Sponsored

New Bumper on the Way - What Winch to Buy?

dwrye

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - my wife's
I just purchased the DV8 FS-14 bumper for our 21 JLUR. The bumper is rated for up to a 12,000 lb winch. I want to stay under $500 for the winch. I like the look of the Zeak 13,000 lb Platinum since it has an integrated control box that sets in the middle of the winch (link below and dimensions attached). My questions are:
1) Will this winch fit this bumper? DV8 can't tell me (they sent me the install manual for their winch) and I haven't found anything on line about this.
2) Is it Ok to install a 13,000 lb rated winch on a 12,000 lb rated bumper?

The Jeep is my wife's daily driver and we don't do a lot of crazy trails. She wants the aftermarket bumper mostly for looks and I figured it might be nice to have a winch just in case we need it.

Bumper: https://dv8offroad.com/collections/jeep-jk-front-bumpers/products/jeep-wrangler-fs-14-front-bumper
Winch: https://www.zeakwinch.com/Products/show/id/23.html

Zeak 13000LB.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

JP52

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
Smittybuilt is $140 more (around $600). That's over my $500 limit. We'll see.
Funny how my mind blotted out the price! All I remember is I got if for a few hundred less than full price.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dwrye

dwrye

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - my wife's
Funny how my mind blotted out the price! All I remember is I got if for a few hundred less than full price.
Yea, I just started looking. It looks like the Smittybilt X20 Gen2 price has fluctuated $300 over the past couple of years.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Not recommending any brand per se - but with the Warn VR EVO the think power wires end up pressed tightly against the bottom of the grill. I am sure after time this will rub the paint off.

Can't speak to other brands, but this disappointed me when I was done with the install....

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I just installed the Badlands Apex 12K winch last weekend. I paid under $500 last week for it but the sale might be over now
Also installed the Badlands this week. It's from Harbor Freight. Typically $649, or $579 if you're in their $30 club. HOWEVER, if you sign up for their email list (Free), they send out 25% off single item no exclusion coupons a few times a year, which brings this down to $479 before taxes. Killer deal at that price - it's a BEEFY winch.

Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Another option is to drop down to the 9-9.5k range and save yourself a few hundred. That's plenty of power to pull your jeep out of most scenarios, and since it's primary purpose is going to be for looks and MAYBE the occasional pull on a light trail, might be the way to go.

OP
OP
dwrye

dwrye

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - my wife's
I just installed the Badlands Apex 12K winch last weekend. I paid under $500 last week for it but the sale might be over now
I've checked out the Badlands winch. I'm going to look into the 25% off deal. The Zeak 13000 LB Platinum is thought by some to be made by Apex. Here's a good review of it from Youtube

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Not recommending any brand per se - but with the Warn VR EVO the think power wires end up pressed tightly against the bottom of the grill. I am sure after time this will rub the paint off.

Can't speak to other brands, but this disappointed me when I was done with the install....
And they just recalled the wireless remotes. Their solution is wired operation only. 😐