New Bronco on display at Costco

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I was under the impression that the Bronco Sport was a rebadged Ford Escape. My daughter and I were at the local Ford Dealer Saturday, and she was looking at the Bronco Sport, and the ones they had on the lot were in the $28,000 range and the Escapes were in the $32,000 range. For what it's worth, she thinks the Bronco Sport looks much better than the Ford Escape. 😁

Best,
-Tim
I agree, the new Escape is a homely and unattractive SUV. At least the Bronco Sport looks different than most crossovers, it reminds me of the 1st gen Escapes somewhat. If I was in the market for a smaller, somewhat capable crossover type thing, I'd consider the Sport.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Saw the new Bronco on display inside my local Costco. The thing was so underwhelming, that I didn't even bother to walk over and look at it, and it was only a few feet away. This was the Bronco sport, perhaps the other models have more presence, but this one looked like a miniature RR Defender.
Jeep Wrangler JL New Bronco on display at Costco 58974B0D-4301-4AB4-87AC-864B26B418DC

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I was under the impression that the Bronco Sport was a rebadged Ford Escape. My daughter and I were at the local Ford Dealer Saturday, and she was looking at the Bronco Sport, and the ones they had on the lot were in the $28,000 range and the Escapes were in the $32,000 range. For what it's worth, she thinks the Bronco Sport looks much better than the Ford Escape. 😁

Best,
-Tim
Calling it a rebadge does a disservice to the great American car tradition of just slapping a couple of new body bits on it and a different badge (like GM/GMC today).

It was built off of the Escape platform but Ford changed massive amounts. They share engine and transmission bits but the AWD systems, suspensions, etc are all Bronco specific. Just like calling the new Bronco a rebadged Ranger isn't going to work either (although the Ranger is going to get even more interesting when some of this tech makes its way back over on the next gen).

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Saw the new Bronco on display inside my local Costco. The thing was so underwhelming, that I didn't even bother to walk over and look at it, and it was only a few feet away. This was the Bronco sport, perhaps the other models have more presence, but this one looked like a miniature RR Defender.
Funny enough, I just posted about this branding issue in another thread earlier today. Another countless example of the Sport fake out watering down their hype.

My post from another thread:
I think Ford made a branding mistake with the Bronco Sport rolling out. Between this forum and people I know personally, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard someone dismiss the new Bronco because they saw a Bronco Sport in the wild and basically said "that's it?"

So many people are thinking the Bronco got watered down to another midsize eggUV, and now that's what they associate with the modern Bronco name. They will probably take notice as the big boy hits the streets, but for now Ford tainted their own audience before they even started.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Somebody must like the looks, they are flying off the lots here and I've already seen more than a dozen driving around the city. I think it looks like a smaller LR Defender, maybe not quite as aggressive.

Doesn't have a lot of direct competition either, just the Cherokee Trailhawk in that size range. Maybe the Subaru's if you are ok with giving up some capability (until Wilderness hits them, it probably will).

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny enough, I just posted about this branding issue in another thread earlier today. Another countless example of the Sport fake out watering down their hype.

My post from another thread:
I'm betting you'll have a hard time even test driving a Bronco for at least a few months after launch. Check how many views all the stuff from EJS and their little shindig last week have been getting, that hype pump is primed.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm betting you'll have a hard time even test driving a Bronco for at least a few months after launch. Check how many views all the stuff from EJS and their little shindig last week have been getting, that hype pump is primed.
That plus they are so far behind schedule and everyone is having production issues, so stock will probably be limited until next year too. It's been a tough start for the Bronco.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the Bronco Sport is a Ford mistake, I mean, Ford "Escape".

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I'm pretty happy Ford released the Bronco Sport first. That day I was getting my truck serviced, and went walking around the dealership, I saw what I thought was a Bronco, and I said naw. Then I walked over to the Jeep side, and saw the green Willys. The one in my profile photo.

If that had been a real Bronco, things might have gone very differently. I am totally fine with this. I haven't been coveting a Bronco for the last 30 years, have I? Ever since that kid rattled up to the end of my driveway in this clunker CJ that sounded like it had loose nuts and bolts in the engine, and said, "I just rebuilt this myself! Want to trade?" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hell no, I kept the Pontiac I was wrenching on that day, but I did actually consider the trade for a second. I thought about a Jeep lots of times. It's ironic that the series of events that finally got me into one was triggered by Ford promising a Wrangler killer.

I don't think anything can kill the Wrangler. This thing definitely has more smiles per mile than any vehicle I've ever owned, or even driven. I wouldn't trade this JLU Willys for two Shelby Cobra GT500s and free tires for life.

Sponsored

Pete_the_JEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I drive to the UP of Michigan a lot and it is great what you see on I-94, I-75, or US-23 in Southern Michigan between Ann Arbor and Detroit. So many new stuff with M-plates on them, some obscured a bit or a little covered, other stuff pre-production vehicles that you only see online till a few months later. Really early last year I saw the Mustang Mach-E on US-23 heading towards Ohio and stalked it a little. I totally want one now!
Having grown up and lived in SE Michigan, we've always been around buck vehicles that are roaming around. Plus the majority of people work in the auto industry in some fashion (me included)it seems. So someones parent, sibling, aunt, uncle was driving something home that wasn't on the showroom floor yet. Being a car guy my whole life made it very cool to see!!
There are a couple Mach-E's in my neighborhood as well. Lot's of exec's seem to be getting them

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
pics or it didn't happen lol
Sponsored