First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Yes I got my tires in that size! I’ve aired them down to 10 and driven on some dunes and had no issue. I keep them at about 37-40psi and they sit great on my Jeep. Here are some photos from this Sunday!
7033D416-26B9-4F09-BF7E-E996436760F9.jpeg
8F3DA9AC-13F0-4B58-9014-85AEEAC5168C.jpeg
13A8D38D-FED7-4FCD-891D-BD8FCEC5CAD1.jpeg

My Jeep (Calypso) is still stock except for the 285/70/17 tires, headlights, brake lights and some other minor details. Still flexes pretty well with some added crunching of the fender liners. Almost forgot! I added some 2” wheel spacers and after installing them I noticed a horrible scraping caused by the tire rubbing against the windjammers above the front bumper..
DFCC106F-C7D3-4F82-AA8E-A1CC4DF2C145.jpeg
I ..so I suggest removing them before or after getting larger tires to ensure they don’t interfere with any suspension or other components. Hope this helps and I’d love to hear what tires you’re looking at!
Thanks so much, super helpful! Love the tires (and the Jeep, it looks exactly like my son's!).
Sponsored

OP
OP
rockclimber

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much, super helpful! Love the tires (and the Jeep, it looks exactly like my son's!).
Thanks! I love seeing other Jeeps like mine on the road (and especially trails!). I hope to get some new fenders and liners to improve clearance and make it more unique!

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
I am confused a bit about when you need spacers or wheels with a different offset. Modest lift say 2", apparently the instructions with the lift kits say you need this. Why?
Looking to keep my stock 18" wheels and get 33" AT's or maybe pick up a set of Rubi 17's with KO2's. Will I need spacers?
What if I add a 2 inch spacer kit with Mopar LCA's and longer shocks?
Don't expect to do any heavy wheeling. I have my TJ on 35's for that.

Sponsored

Dusty Roads

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport
If you think that you know more than the manufacturer about what rim the tire was designed for then you should go ahead and mount the rims. Lots of people in this forum say "I did it and it was fine" and I am sure that is the case, but tire manufacturers aren't thinking about the average experience when they specify this sort of thing. I personally wouldn't do it because I don't know more than the tire manufacturers about tire tolerances.

That said, both Nitto Trail Grapplers and Toyo AT/IIIs come in 35x11.5r17 and will fit 7.5" wide rims. There is also a Nitto Terra Grapplers that come in ~34" (metric tire size I don't remember) that I believe also fit 7.5". I plan to get a set of one of these when I upgrade my own tires.

Good luck.
Just put the Nitto trail grapplers on mine, 285/75/17, they're just under 34inch OD on my stock Willys rims. I've had absolutely zero rubbing, but I did have to get a extension for the spare tire mount. Tire hit the bumper on the stock mount.

EmilHov

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Goodyear Territory 315/70r17 on stock wheels. No spacers or lift yet.
Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? IMG_0597
Jeep Wrangler JL New All-Terrain Tires On Stock Wheels? IMG_0597
How are they holding up? I keep hearing that mpg's aren't affected because of such light weight.
Sponsored