Sponsored

New 4xe Cold Start

B. Kenrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Audi SQ5, 22 JLU Sahara 4xe HA
Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum and recently purchased a 22 4xe. The engine kicked on during a cold start for the first time and there’s a high pitch knocking sound that happens. The noise doesn’t last but still unsettling. I’m familiar with unrefined sounds direct injected engines make during cold start but this seems different. I’m looking for advice from anyone familiar with this engine. Thanks for any info members can provide. Video clip below attached!
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Welcome.
There are circumstances when the ICE starts even though the battery has good charge. Most of the time this is a normal function called for by the computer(s). The initial noises generally have to do with HVAC demands.
Spend some time sifting through these posts and learn a lot from other's experiences. Enjoy

OP
OP
B. Kenrick

B. Kenrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome.
There are circumstances when the ICE starts even though the battery has good charge. Most of the time this is a normal function called for by the computer(s). The initial noises generally have to do with HVAC demands.
Spend some time sifting through these posts and learn a lot from other's experiences. Enjoy
Thanks for following up. I’ve watched several videos on 4xe characteristics when starting the ICE. I haven’t seen anything regarding the high pitch squeal that I’m getting only when ICE engages. I wanted to save the battery so I switched over to e-save and that’s when I noticed the noise. My commute is short and in the two weeks of owning I had never experienced ICE. I’ll keep searching and if all else fails I’ll reach out to the dealer. I was trying to avoid this if other members had similar experiences.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for following up. I’ve watched several videos on 4xe characteristics when starting the ICE. I haven’t seen anything regarding the high pitch squeal that I’m getting only when ICE engages. I wanted to save the battery so I switched over to e-save and that’s when I noticed the noise. My commute is short and in the two weeks of owning I had never experienced ICE. I’ll keep searching and if all else fails I’ll reach out to the dealer. I was trying to avoid this if other members had similar experiences.
Are you able to record a video and post? Also, you should record it for dealer purposes. The 2.0 doesn't "squeal" on start up normally. It does sound like a diesel on some days though.

OP
OP
B. Kenrick

B. Kenrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you able to record a video and post? Also, you should record it for dealer purposes. The 2.0 doesn't "squeal" on start up normally. It does sound like a diesel on some days though.
Thanks for following up. Here is a video clip. Let me know if you can open it and view what I’m hearing.

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
B. Kenrick

B. Kenrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can barely hear something at the beginning but to be honest, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Can you hear it inside the jeep?
The high pitched chirp/squeal in the clip doesn’t happen right away. It shows up a few seconds into the video. I was in the car when I heard it first.

GO_RV

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Sounds like the turbo kicking in on high idle
if it’s really cold, if you start a Plugin EV
the engine will start. My Ford Fusion Energi does that.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The high pitched chirp/squeal in the clip doesn’t happen right away. It shows up a few seconds into the video. I was in the car when I heard it first.
Agnes someone else will hear something but I didn't hear anything that made me concerned. I am far from a mechanic though.
I do own a 2.0 and it's sounds pretty much the same.

OP
OP
B. Kenrick

B. Kenrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agnes someone else will hear something but I didn't hear anything that made me concerned. I am far from a mechanic though.
I do own a 2.0 and it's sounds pretty much the same.
Thanks for following up with your experience with this engine.
Sponsored