First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
It looked like oil to me, but was dirty, so not totally sure it wasn’t trans fluid, although it had no red color to it. Interesting thought on just having them clean it up and watch it for a while like Left field did. I did check all of the plugs etc. the only spot it was wet was on the bell housing. Smok’em, I am using Davis Moore, have not really used either dealer in town so rolling the dice.
If it’s oil, make sure they check the PCV valve and system. If the crankcase is retaining too much pressure, it will push oil through the seal. It’s not a sign of a failed seal. The seal is made to hold in a certain amount of pressure. If the PCV system is the issue, they’ll fix that and not worry about the seal as it will seal back up just fine.
Sponsored

trdt44

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Power Wagon, '22 Sarge Green JLR
Hello all,
PIcked up a new Gobi 392 a little over a week ago and drove it back to Kansas from Colorado. Got up the next day to start the detailing process and noticed some fluid on the floor. Found a drip coming from the bell housing right behind the oil pan. Took it to the shop last Friday to be checked out. I was assuming possibly a rear main seal based on the location. They removed an access cover and were not able to see anything....the rear main seal was dry. So the next step is to pull the transmission to see if they can figure out where the leak is coming from. Not a good start on a $80k vehicle with 600 miles. Fortunately still have the diesel Gladiator in the garage to enjoy.
I had a similar issue with my Ram and it ended up being a seal on the transmission. They actually replaced the rear main seal first thinking it was that. I have the same ZF 8HP75 transmission. The ZF fluid is not red but kind of a yellow/green color. It does have UV dye in it from the factory.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
When my wrangler was a few weeks old, I saw a little bit (size of a quarter) of engine oil on my garage floor where I park it. I looked everywhere and couldn't find the source and it hasn't happened since I have over a year and 12K mi on it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Not to be a butt, but what does it being a 392 have to do with this?

It doesn't matter how much the vehicle cost you. It's a machine and things go wrong with mass produced machines.

This seems normal to me. Unfortunate it happened to yours, but it happens.
different engine, different transmission.

OP
OP
JLJoy

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
I have decided to put some more miles on it to see if it was some residual fluid from the build. Would prefer to rule that out before having them pull the transmission. Will see what happens.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It's funny. A Toyota Corolla can go years and years without any issues and be dry as can be underneith. Yet a top of the line Lexus (made by Toyota) can sprout a number of leaks within 1/3 the time.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I have decided to put some more miles on it to see if it was some residual fluid from the build. Would prefer to rule that out before having them pull the transmission. Will see what happens.

I would avoid dealer monkey to touch my vehicle let alone dropping the trans.. they do more harm then finding/fixing the leak.

good luck and best wishes on that, hope it stays dry after you put some miles....

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would avoid dealer monkey to touch my vehicle let alone dropping the trans.. they do more harm then finding/fixing the leak.

good luck and best wishes on that, hope it stays dry after you put some miles....
I agree. My dad was referred to a Grease Monkey Hunky. Was a dealer Monkey and then became a Service Manager Monkey. Then started his own shop as the Shop Monkey. Taught his son to be a Monkey too. Now this Monkey works on half million dollar racecars and on the side, monkeys around on regular street cars. One of the Monkeys that I work with in racing, is a Ford dealer monkey too. Plus I work with a Rivian Monkey as he goes to your house and will monkey on your Rivian. Maybe Jeep hires the low ability Monkeys as opposed to other manufacturers. I'm thinking this is why a Bronco is better. They hire better monkeys.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I agree. My dad was referred to a Grease Monkey Hunky. Was a dealer Monkey and then became a Service Manager Monkey. Then started his own shop as the Shop Monkey. Taught his son to be a Monkey too. Now this Monkey works on half million dollar racecars and on the side, monkeys around on regular street cars. One of the Monkeys that I work with in racing, is a Ford dealer monkey too. Plus I work with a Rivian Monkey as he goes to your house and will monkey on your Rivian. Maybe Jeep hires the low ability Monkeys as opposed to other manufacturers. I'm thinking this is why a Bronco is better. They hire better monkeys.

No? my raptor's transmission was downshifting like getting rear ended and slipping crazy in 10th and 8th gear. It would also randomly shifting from 10th to 1st gear on freeway... Dealer monkey had the audacity to told me it was normal. went to another dealer and the monkey there was kind enough to look into it and check the fluid level, sadly the Ford monkey forget to tighten the skid plate bolt and the skid fell off dragging on the freeway..

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It isn’t. They are assembled dry.
Sponsored