JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
Hello all,
PIcked up a new Gobi 392 a little over a week ago and drove it back to Kansas from Colorado. Got up the next day to start the detailing process and noticed some fluid on the floor. Found a drip coming from the bell housing right behind the oil pan. Took it to the shop last Friday to be checked out. I was assuming possibly a rear main seal based on the location. They removed an access cover and were not able to see anything....the rear main seal was dry. So the next step is to pull the transmission to see if they can figure out where the leak is coming from. Not a good start on a $80k vehicle with 600 miles. Fortunately still have the diesel Gladiator in the garage to enjoy.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Seems excessive to pull the trans to find a leak. Was it trans fluid, or motor oil on the floor?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hello all,
PIcked up a new Gobi 392 a little over a week ago and drove it back to Kansas from Colorado. Got up the next day to start the detailing process and noticed some fluid on the floor. Found a drip coming from the bell housing right behind the oil pan. Took it to the shop last Friday to be checked out. I was assuming possibly a rear main seal based on the location. They removed an access cover and were not able to see anything....the rear main seal was dry. So the next step is to pull the transmission to see if they can figure out where the leak is coming from. Not a good start on a $80k vehicle with 600 miles. Fortunately still have the diesel Gladiator in the garage to enjoy.
Not to be a butt, but what does it being a 392 have to do with this?

It doesn't matter how much the vehicle cost you. It's a machine and things go wrong with mass produced machines.

This seems normal to me. Unfortunate it happened to yours, but it happens.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired

It's doesn't matter how much the vehicle cost you. It's a machine and things go wrong with mass produced machines.

Butt you are. 😎

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Ouch..not good..:(

Sponsored

Smoke ‘Em

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR
That sucks! Hope it’s gets sorted ASAP.

Which dealership do your trust in ICT?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Did you check all of the drain plugs for tightness? My Grand Cherokee L sprung a leak almost immediately and the oil plug was only hand tight. I know yours was behind the bellhousing, but it could be coming from something on top or just loose bolts. Either way, the dealer would be my first stop.

dahacker

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSX, RDX, 97 Miata, 22 JLUS

It doesn't matter how much the vehicle cost you. It's a machine and things go wrong with mass produced machines.

The OP is just annoyed that price doesn't equal quality. I'd be really pissed too if I just spent $80K and it was already leaking fluids in a not easily identifiable manner after only 600 miles.

You must have been in some pretty terrible lemons if leaking fluids after 600 miles seems normal to you.

Deleted member 72291

The OP is just annoyed that price doesn't equal quality. I'd be really pissed too if I just spent $80K and it was already leaking fluids in a not easily identifiable manner after only 600 miles.

You must have been in some pretty terrible lemons if leaking fluids after 600 miles seems normal to you.
I had a $210k Porsche 911 whose transmission went out at 270 miles. Bad parts exist in machines, regardless of the cost, workmanship, or quality.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Pretty much like all my Audis here. Mechanical sh!t happens. Get it fixed and enjoy.

... well I need to correct that. Only 4 of the 5 I've purchased new leaked something shortly after delivery. The other 3 were purchased used and I'm counting the leaker in that group as sloppy maintenance not initial product quality.

Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I always find it funny that people are so ready to chalk up excuses to justify a clear injustice. Wether you payed 20k or a million for a product doesn’t change the social contract expected there in. If I buy a product that’s brand new it shouldn’t be unfit for use as intended. Everyone knows why and what they buy a new car for, and one of the biggest reasons is peice of mind and reliability. Just because “it happens” doesn’t mean it should in any way expected or accepted. I’ve always been a Jeeper and love Jeep, but if I worked for them that would be embarrassing and immediately solved. Hope you get that figured out. Good luck.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
So here's something to ponder...

I picked up a 392 in October. Got it home, a week later I'm underneath to do some measurements. Crap, there's drops of what looks like engine oil hanging on the front edge of the bell housing. Brand new, and I have to have it ripped apart to find a small leak? Rear main seal?

So I figured I'd wipe it off and keep an eye on it. The next week it was damp, but no drips, wiped it off. After that, dry.

Now 9 months later and around 10,000 miles -> Bone dry. Picture taken 5 minutes ago.

Jeep Wrangler JL New 392 in the shop IMG_3087.JPG

Perhaps excess oil on the seal during initial assembly, or some other spilled or left over oil? No idea. Maybe someone can explain why.

Anyway, maybe it's worth just keeping an eye on it and seeing if its just some residual fluid coming out.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
... Maybe someone can explain why.
Maybe it's out of oil? Like a Hardley, if it stops leaking it's out of oil and you need to add some more.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Maybe it's out of oil? Like a Hardley, if it stops leaking it's out of oil and you need to add some more.
Ha, LOL, that would be a good explanation :)

But its approaching it's second oil change, I did get near the 7-1/2 qts out on the first oil change, and its just off the full mark now so that doesn't appear to be it.

I wonder if there's a chance that some can get spilled on the initial engine fill in a way it would run down the back of the engine?

I'd hate to tear it apart, risk the possibility of reassembly mistakes and find out there was actually no leak.

OP
OP
JLJoy

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
It looked like oil to me, but was dirty, so not totally sure it wasn’t trans fluid, although it had no red color to it. Interesting thought on just having them clean it up and watch it for a while like Left field did. I did check all of the plugs etc. the only spot it was wet was on the bell housing. Smok’em, I am using Davis Moore, have not really used either dealer in town so rolling the dice.
Sponsored