Sponsored

UPDATES: New 21' JLR, lots of QC issues...

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
True story. I took my JKUR to a paintless dent repair place once, to get a door ding hammered out.

The guy looked at it and said there was so much orange peel that the hammered-out portion wouldn’t match. It would look too smooth.:LOL:

I went ahead and had him remove the ding and never looked too closely after that.

But yeah, Jeep paint isn’t the best.

(Interestingly, it does appear to be relatively thick, which is good. The paint on my Toyota scratches if you sneeze at it.)

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It seems better so far than the paint on my JK, which chipped if you gave it a hard look. After a few months that thing had probably over a dozen various rock chips. Damn I miss that Commando Green color though.

OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I had a meeting at the dealer today with the service manager, body shop manager, and Chrysler rep. Went over all the spots and they assured me that they'll be able to repair most of the items.

I'm particular about breaking factory paint, so I'm not happy about this at all. They're offering me some complimentary service packages for the inconvenience. I think that's complete crap. They need to do a little better than that, but we'll see.

I spoke with Jeep Wave, and it appears they are willing to provide with me a Mopar Extended warranty of some sort to make up for the inconvenience. They said a rep will follow up with me on Monday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Thanks Kate, I'm working with customer service now over at Jeep and they've assigned me a case #. I appreciate you checking in and will reach out if things aren't going well.

Hello, Sjbiss and vasdimpop. If any extra assistance is needed while your Jeep is with the dealer, please don't hesitate to let me know in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Maybe this explains why I've been in the "Paint Stage" for 3 weeks+. I was in paint stage, then "Build Stage" complete, then back in Paint Stage. Wonder if they found something during inspection. Also White. I'll make sure and check it out good if it is ever delivered.
Update on my deal. After being in "Paint Stage" for 5 weeks, 38 days, Jeep tells me today that I have a new VON, my build is starting over after 9 weeks. No explanation. Just you have a new Vehicle order number. It's purely speculation but I sat in Paint for 5 weeks, a stage that's usually a day, then my order is cancelled. No doubt issues with paint. Some might say, "At least they caught it before delivery". Maybe, but I'm sure they could have figured that out 5 weeks ago. Now I start over after 9 weeks and the plant is shut down next week for Summer break, another week lost. Check your paint when you take delivery folks :)

OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Sounds like it didn't pass QC so they started over. Glad they caught it before it went any further (like in my case)...

Update on my deal. After being in "Paint Stage" for 5 weeks, 38 days, Jeep tells me today that I have a new VON, my build is starting over after 9 weeks. No explanation. Just you have a new Vehicle order number. It's purely speculation but I sat in Paint for 5 weeks, a stage that's usually a day, then my order is cancelled. No doubt issues with paint. Some might say, "At least they caught it before delivery". Maybe, but I'm sure they could have figured that out 5 weeks ago. Now I start over after 9 weeks and the plant is shut down next week for Summer break, another week lost. Check your paint when you take delivery folks :)

OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
UPDATE 7/16/2021: Well after speaking with Jeep Cares, the end of the line was an extended warranty offer for the inconvenience (5 year/60k Maximum Care). I can't file a BBB complaint (Not that it would do much) since it involves a car defect and they push to use their Autoline feature, which Stellantis isn't participating in. I was able to file an AG complaint with the state of Michigan, although I'm not too confident that will go anywhere.

The dealership is supportive and attempting to please my OCD and frustration, so I appreciate them stepping up and helping me out. I'll continue to update here as things progress.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
After seeing a million of these paint issues posts and their outcomes, I would recommend leaving most of those alone. Your first picture seems to be the worst offender, and I think that’s the cowl cover, so it could easily be fixed without affecting other panels. Aside from that, I’d worry all they’re going to do is make your jeep worse. If the scratch on your fender really bothers you, that can also easily be swapped out. I’ve just seen to many people get their jeeps back in worse shape and most of those aren’t worth it IMO unless you start to see corrosion.

I’ve got missing paint under most of my door and tailgate hinges, as well as under the soft top rail on the tub and am not asking them to fix it unless it starts to corrode.

just my .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I've been thinking along this line myself. I was thinking, if anything, I can have them swap out the seat rail, fender, and that one panel you mentioned (the body shop manager believes they come pre-painted from factory too). I would probably negotiate a dealership credit for parts/service in lieu of the remaining repairs.

I just think it's crazy they're charging this much money for these Jeeps to come this way.

After seeing a million of these paint issues posts and their outcomes, I would recommend leaving most of those alone. Your first picture seems to be the worst offender, and I think that’s the cowl cover, so it could easily be fixed without affecting other panels. Aside from that, I’d worry all they’re going to do is make your jeep worse. If the scratch on your fender really bothers you, that can also easily be swapped out. I’ve just seen to many people get their jeeps back in worse shape and most of those aren’t worth it IMO unless you start to see corrosion.

I’ve got missing paint under most of my door and tailgate hinges, as well as under the soft top rail on the tub and am not asking them to fix it unless it starts to corrode.

just my .02

Sponsored

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Kinda sucks with all the issues popping up, factory workers don’t care.
I gave up worrying too much about the cosmetic flaws in my new JL. As long as it’s sound mechanically (knock on wood, a lot of wood), I can live with the puckering around the door hinges, Indents around the windshield hood rests and orange peel around the cowl area. A service manager looked at my hood and said she had never seen the concave dishing around the windshield rests before (doubt that very much since half the JLs seem to have this factory inflicted damage) but said they could be fixed at the body shop. No thanks. She suggested that I wait until the paint on the door and hood hinges starts bubbling and have it all repaired at the same time, Unbelievable.

OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
That's crazy. The service manager at my dealer swears that it was "a small batch of vehicles that have this issue and it has been resolved on the current MY"... riiiiiight

I gave up worrying too much about the cosmetic flaws in my new JL. As long as it’s sound mechanically (knock on wood, a lot of wood), I can live with the puckering around the door hinges, Indents around the windshield hood rests and orange peel around the cowl area. A service manager looked at my hood and said she had never seen the concave dishing around the windshield rests before (doubt that very much since half the JLs seem to have this factory inflicted damage) but said they could be fixed at the body shop. No thanks. She suggested that I wait until the paint on the door and hood hinges starts bubbling and have it all repaired at the same time, Unbelievable.

OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
For those interested: I got my response from the attorney general:
Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATES: New 21' JLR, lots of QC issues... AG letter

FCA's Response:
Jeep Wrangler JL UPDATES: New 21' JLR, lots of QC issues... FCA Response

*I've updated my original post with more pictures and an update as I have discovered more QC issues. I'm attempting to re-open my case with Jeep Cares, or perhaps file a new case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
UPDATE 9/28/2021:
Heard back from Don at Tuttle-Click regarding my request for buy-back. He once again deferred to Jeep Cares and said they're the ones that make that decision. I'm done. They've had plenty of chances to make it right, and they haven't. I'm gonna go ahead and sell the Jeep, update my dealership review and post this thread link on the Bronco forums as well. Hopefully anyone who is on the fence will be educated on what to look for and what to expect when thinking about buying a Jeep product. I had the "it won't happen to me" mentality, until it did. BUYER BEWARE!
Sponsored