Sponsored

New 2022 JL Manual - Hard to Get into Reverse

Mr.Wiggly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Anybody else have issues popping into reverse on the JL? I pull the lockout up and go to shift and it sometimes takes a few times to get it into the gear box. Seems odd compared to the rest of the gears. Just curious if I'm missing some trick?
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Anybody else have issues popping into reverse on the JL? I pull the lockout up and go to shift and it sometimes takes a few times to get it into the gear box. Seems odd compared to the rest of the gears. Just curious if I'm missing some trick?
Should slide into reverse easily if you have the lockout caller fully disengaged. Doesn't sound normal.

OP
OP

Mr.Wiggly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I find even with the lockout caller fully pulled up I still sometimes have a bit if a time getting it into reverse. Sometimes notice first as well.

Granted I’ve had this vehicle a few days and only driven like 50 miles, but it just seems a bit off.

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
I've had three manual transmission JLs (long story) and they all shifted into reverse easily; they didn't need to be broken in.

You should take yours back to the dealer (and hope the problem doesn't clear up when you get there—I hate it when that happens).

[ETA some details]

OP
OP

Mr.Wiggly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had three manual transmission JLs (long story) and they all shifted into reverse easily; they didn't need to be broken in.

You should take yours back to the dealer (and hope the problem doesn't clear up when you get there—I hate it when that happens).

[ETA some details]
I noticed with the engine off it slides right in, but when I start it up it’s a little finicky. Possible user error? Probably will have the dealer take a look to be safe since it’s brand new.

Sponsored

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
Maybe someone who knows clutches better than me can offer tips, but I think the only operator error could be not having the clutch depressed all the way. I assume you’ve made certain to do that.

I noticed with the engine off it slides right in, but when I start it up it’s a little finicky. Possible user error? Probably will have the dealer take a look to be safe since it’s brand new.

seanpublic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
At a stop, problems getting it into first and I guess reverse could be signs that your clutch isn't fully disengaging. Make sure you don't have any air in the line to the slave cylinder. You can attempt to bleed it yourself or just take it to the dealer and use your warranty coverage. I'm assuming you know to push the clutch pedal to the stop.

OP
OP

Mr.Wiggly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At a stop, problems getting it into first and I guess reverse could be signs that your clutch isn't fully disengaging. Make sure you don't have any air in the line to the slave cylinder. You can attempt to bleed it yourself or just take it to the dealer and use your warranty coverage. I'm assuming you know to push the clutch pedal to the stop.
yeah it’s definitely pressed to the stop. Man, I drove this off the lot 3 days ago.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Mine shifts into reverse super smooth. My guess is that your clutch is not being fully engaged despite you depressing the pedal all the way. I'd definitely have the dealer look at it.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Agreed, I've never had issues getting mine into reverse. Slides right in with very little pressure.

Sponsored

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
Take it to the dealer. First shift on the lot to my trailer was reverse, smooth as butter.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Yeah, reverse was never an issue. 3rd was a bit sticky for the first 1000 miles or so, then it got better.
Sponsored