New 2022 Bronco. Watch out Wrangler.

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
I find the 'its overpriced' comments regarding the Bronco hilarious when Rubicons are selling for mid-high 60,000. That is a Corvette price tag for a SUV which can't sit 4 grown adults comfortably :)
The Wrangler (JLUR-XR) that I ordered was significantly more expensive than any Bronco that I configured.

Because of the Bronco, we have some better Jeep options available to us. Hopefully, competition will continue to provide incentives for future improvements. The vast majority of Wrangler owners won't come close to doing anything that a Bronco can't also do. There is a large portion of the market which could easily be candidates for either vehicle. Competition in that overlapping market is good for all consumers, regardless of which brand they choose.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The Wrangler (JLUR-XR) that I ordered was significantly more expensive than any Bronco that I configured.

Because of the Bronco, we have some better Jeep options available to us. Hopefully, competition will continue to provide incentives for future improvements. The vast majority of Wrangler owners won't come close to doing anything that a Bronco can't also do. There is a large portion of the market which could easily be candidates for either vehicle. Competition in that overlapping market is good for all consumers, regardless of which brand they choose.
Very true.
Better Bronco equals a better Wrangler.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
With any luck, the Toyota FJ Cruiser will light a fire under Ford and Jeep. Toyota seems to corner the market on automotive quality.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

I have a Bronco on order and it is more than the Rubicon I have. Point being, they are both pretty much in line on cost.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The closest thing to my Rubicon order was my Badlands order (yeah, I reserved/then ordered one on the first day). My Rubicon order is $39.8k and my Badlands order was $47.8k. Unfortunately (for me) Ford bundled things together that I didn't really want, but if I wanted one of the items, I paid for all of the items.

What is nice, and I think not everyone agrees, is that if you pick and choose items you can have a more expensive Rubicon than Badlands (or Sport, or Sahara, Outer Banks, First-Edition, etc.), but if you don't want certain things you don't have to pay for all of them to get one. You can get, which was the case with me, an upgraded stereo without paying $4000 for "Adaptive Cruise Control; ... ; Evasive Steering Assist; heated steering wheel; universal garage door opener; two additional front row USB smart-charging ports; Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System and wireless charging pad".

Ford was very specific about offering their models at just slightly less money than the comparable Jeep product; however, they bundled things together in a manner that would have cost me $8k more (even without the upgraded stereo) for the vehicle I wanted (a manual transmission with front and rear lockers).

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
The closest thing to my Rubicon order was my Badlands order (yeah, I reserved/then ordered one on the first day). My Rubicon order is $39.8k and my Badlands order was $47.8k. Unfortunately (for me) Ford bundled things together that I didn't really want, but if I wanted one of the items, I paid for all of the items.

What is nice, and I think not everyone agrees, is that if you pick and choose items you can have a more expensive Rubicon than Badlands (or Sport, or Sahara, Outer Banks, First-Edition, etc.), but if you don't want certain things you don't have to pay for all of them to get one. You can get, which was the case with me, an upgraded stereo without paying $4000 for "Adaptive Cruise Control; ... ; Evasive Steering Assist; heated steering wheel; universal garage door opener; two additional front row USB smart-charging ports; Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System and wireless charging pad".

Ford was very specific about offering their models at just slightly less money than the comparable Jeep product; however, they bundled things together in a manner that would have cost me $8k more (even without the upgraded stereo) for the vehicle I wanted (a manual transmission with front and rear lockers).
I think we came in just under 66K MSRP for a standard Rubicon-XR (no 4xE or 392) and we didn't even put leather seats or floor mats in it. We would have gotten a manual if the combination were allowed. I think I was closer to 60K with the Bronco configurations but the Bronco wasn't available with a push-button top so that accounts for a chunk of the difference (My wife likes her convertibles). In this category, Bronco isn't any more expensive than Jeep.

I remember being in a dealership with my wife some years ago looking at a new CJ-7 and being aghast that they wanted $8K for it, so we walked out. Times have changed a bit since then.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
And you did not consider the new 2022 Cherokee Trailhawk?
What can you tell me about the Trailhawk? I just priced one out with the Hemi V8 and dual pane panoramic sunroof and it is about $1,000 cheaper than the Rubicon XR I had priced out. I've had a 5.7 V8 01 WJ and it was a beast in the snow with the Quadra-Drive. I love my current Rubicon but that Trailhawk does look sweet. My only complaint with my JL is my young girls don't have the easiest time getting in or out. My biggest complaint with the WJ was the heatercore going to shit, that was a pain in the ass.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
What can you tell me about the Trailhawk? I just priced one out with the Hemi V8 and dual pane panoramic sunroof and it is about $1,000 cheaper than the Rubicon XR I had priced out. I've had a 5.7 V8 01 WJ and it was a beast in the snow with the Quadra-Drive. I love my current Rubicon but that Trailhawk does look sweet. My only complaint with my JL is my young girls don't have the easiest time getting in or out. My biggest complaint with the WJ was the heatercore going to shit, that was a pain in the ass.
I can't tell you much other than trying to convince my wife to get one haha! She has a Wrangler too and sometimes having two Wranglers makes me want a 3rd option. Something with air suspension, IFS, Napp Leather... I think you get the picture :)

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I recommend you drive one if you are serious. We took one for a test drive and were disappointed with the air suspension. Yeah it looks cool when you lift it up but IMO it rides like $hit. For that kind of money on an IFS vehicle I wanted a much smoother ride and it wasn't to be had.

Reactions: zdr

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
I recommend you drive one if you are serious. We took one for a test drive and were disappointed with the air suspension. Yeah it looks cool when you lift it up but IMO it rides like $hit. For that kind of money on an IFS vehicle I wanted a much smoother ride and it wasn't to be had.
Yea the thought crossed my mind but I drove a GC for 15 yrs. I think I'll stick with the wrangler and the kids can deal with it haha.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Yea the thought crossed my mind but I drove a GC for 15 yrs. I think I'll stick with the wrangler and the kids can deal with it haha.
You are a horrible parent. How dare you put your children second!!!??? How dare you spend your money on a vehicle you enjoy and make your poor children suffer as a result. I will be reporting this to my local Millenial who will be paying you a visit as soon as they deal with the guy down the street who didn't give their child an award for coming in 5th place at the local coloring book competition.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This just popped up on B6G this afternoon.

Apparently, there are 23 24 confirmed cases of blown 2.7 engines on B6G so far. Geez.

Posted by Lance103222

Recap: December 23rd, while stopped at a stop light (only 2,024 miles on it), the 2.7 died and would simply not restart. The Bronco ended up being towed to local Ford dealer where it discovered that the timing chain broke, the valves had destroyed the pistons and metal shaving contaminated the entire oil system.

December 30th, 7 days later, Ford Motor Co. finally authorized a rental to “temporarily” replace the Bronco. I know some say that I must be patient, after all it was Christmas on the 25th. To that I reply I know, since the Bronco was my only vehicle (I traded my truck in to get it and sold my 06 Jeep TJ) I was stranded without an automobile during the Christmas Holiday.

January 6, 2022, Ford Motor Company has not yet authorized a replacement motor (according to my local Ford Dealership’s Service Dept.). It has now been 14 days since the new Bronco lost it’s engine. I was not expecting the Bronco to be fixed by now, but I was expecting that Ford would have at least authorized an engine replacement and maybe even be in the process of shipping said replacement to the dealership. That evening, I started via the internet, to look up e-mail addresses and phone numbers to every Executive I could find within Ford Motor and I started my, “Complain Campaign”.

January 10, 2022, I went to my local Ford Dealer’s Service Department where my Bronco was towed to. (Greenwood Ford, Hollister, CA) At various times, not all at once, I spoke with several Service Writers, one Service Tech and the Service Manager. The bottom line was the dealership employees are frustrated with Ford Motor Co. They are not getting the parts, information, or answers from Ford Motor that they need to take care of my Bronco’s needs.

One on one, an individual said in confidence to me that Ford Motor is aware that there is an issue with the 2.7 engines and Engineers are most likely developing a fix to the production of new motors. That person also said they doubted Ford would send a current crate motor that could potentially have the same issue. When I inquired/pushed as to when Ford could potentially have a design fix and expect a new motor to be shipped, he said that is up to Michigan, and his best guess was four to six months.

Feeling disheartened, I left the Service Department and was walking back to the rental vehicle when I received a call from Michigan. (My Complain Campaign got someone’s attention!) Ms. Jones who works for the Ford Motor Co. Executive Offices told me that my e-mail I sent to the Board of Directors complaining about the lack of support regarding my 2021 Ford Bronco was forwarded to her and she will be looking into my case. Ms. Jones said that since she just received my information, she would follow up with me the next day (Tuesday, January 11, 2022). She also said that the number she was calling me from was her direct line and if I had any questions or concerns, to please call her. (I felt hopeful!)

January 11, 2022, near the end of the business day (5pm Michigan time), no call as of yet from Ms. Jones. I did call Ms. Jones at 3pm Michigan time and left a request for a call back, which never happened. Perhaps Ms. Jones is still looking into the situation. Perhaps she found out the same as I was told at the Dealership, four to six months.

Rant:
Please correct me if the following numbers are wrong, they are what I was looking at today waiting for a call that never came: Food for thought for reservation holders and those thinking of placing a reservation. From what I can tell, Ford has shipped roughly 30k Broncos for delivery thus far. Not all of those 30k units are 2.7 engines, some are the 2.3. I’m guessing most opted for the 2.7 so let’s say 25k units of the 2.7 broncos have shipped. I know Bronco6G has a great following within the Bronco community, but not all Bronco owners probably belong to it. Bronco6G has a current list of 23 known 2.7 Bronco engines that have failed. I would guess the actual number of failed 2.7 Broncos to total above 30 units. If my numbers are somewhat in the ballpark, you have a far better chance of your 2.7 Bronco having a catastrophic failure vs wining the lotto. Good luck!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
And this is the latest issue with Bronco’s infamous frameless windows making the rounds on the Internet

Jeep Wrangler JL New 2022 Bronco. Watch out Wrangler. 1641961787885
Sponsored