Sponsored

New 2021 JLURD - steering odd

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
So just brought the new Rubicon Diesel home the other day. I was relieved to hear that the steering box fix was included on the new 2021's especially since we had driven a few and noticed the loose steering. What we are noticing is at slow speed, below 40, the steering almost seems over sensitive. Small corrections create need for another correction. If the steering wheel is completely let go, it tracks straight if road is flat and straight which is a good sign. At highway speeds it seems to do much better and is actually very easy to drive. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or perhaps something we need to get checked out.

Perhaps it's just a 'jeep thing' but I've owned multiple jeeps and still have a 2002 TJ on 35's with a 4.5 inch lift and 1.25 body lift. At slow speeds it's easy to drive, only gets squirrelly above 60 but it's still not too bad.
Sponsored

MeekoDiesel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD Sting Gray , 1948 Willys CJ2A , 1976 Chevy C10 , 1998 Honda Civic
Occupation
Nuclear Operations Technician - Shearon Harris Nuclear Station
So just brought the new Rubicon Diesel home the other day. I was relieved to hear that the steering box fix was included on the new 2021's especially since we had driven a few and noticed the loose steering. What we are noticing is at slow speed, below 40, the steering almost seems over sensitive. Small corrections create need for another correction. If the steering wheel is completely let go, it tracks straight if road is flat and straight which is a good sign. At highway speeds it seems to do much better and is actually very easy to drive. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or perhaps something we need to get checked out.

Perhaps it's just a 'jeep thing' but I've owned multiple jeeps and still have a 2002 TJ on 35's with a 4.5 inch lift and 1.25 body lift. At slow speeds it's easy to drive, only gets squirrelly above 60 but it's still not too bad.
Not sure of the exact changes between the 2020 diesel steering box vs 2021 diesel box. What I can tell you is when we brought our 2020 diesel rubicon home it was very squirrely. Checked tire pressure, over 40#. Lowered to 35, still a bit sketch at slow and fast speeds. Logged a few hundred miles and the sensitive, sketchy steering faded away. I can’t really explain it, but it did. Drives great now. Give it some time, it may need to break in some, whatever “it” is.

OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Thanks!!!! So the tires were at 42psi. Took down to the recommended 37 and all the difference in the world. Duh, now I feel silly not having even checked the tire pressure from the dealer or factory, it was at dealer less than 24 hours so not sure if they even check tire pressure.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks!!!! So the tires were at 42psi. Took down to the recommended 37 and all the difference in the world. Duh, now I feel silly not having even checked the tire pressure from the dealer or factory, it was at dealer less than 24 hours so not sure if they even check tire pressure.
For some reason 40-45 psi is the normal pressure for vehicle delivery to the customer. Mine were at 41 when I got mine.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Not sure of the exact changes between the 2020 diesel steering box vs 2021 diesel box. What I can tell you is when we brought our 2020 diesel rubicon home it was very squirrely. Checked tire pressure, over 40#. Lowered to 35, still a bit sketch at slow and fast speeds. Logged a few hundred miles and the sensitive, sketchy steering faded away. I can’t really explain it, but it did. Drives great now. Give it some time, it may need to break in some, whatever “it” is.
my tire pressure was like 42 cold at dealer...heh.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
47#'s all 4 corners and the spare was at 50! Crazy Right?! down to 36/37 so my dummy light wont yell at me until i can get a tazer to correct that!

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
46 from the dealer

cburger71

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon; 2012 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Corvette ZR1
42 from the dealer. My steering has felt squirrely since taking delivery last week, so as you all recommended, took the pressure down to the recommended 37psi. Hopefully that'll help.
Sponsored