Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL New 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Named Hybrid Technology Solution of the Year by AutoTech Breakthrough Awards Program 2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-31

New 2021 Jeep® Wrangler 4xe Named Hybrid Technology Solution of the Year by AutoTech Breakthrough Awards Program
  • Wrangler 4xe boasts 375 horsepower, 470 lb.-ft. of torque and delivers up to 25 miles of pure electric operation for daily commutes with no range anxiety
  • 2021 Jeep® Wrangler 4xe is the natural evolution of nearly 80 years of Jeep capability leadership
  • Wrangler 4xe retains the Jeep Wrangler’s Trail Rated running gear: solid front and rear axles, full-time 4x4 two-speed transfer case, fully articulating suspension and 30 inches of water fording capability
  • Jeep 4xe vehicles provide new levels of efficiency, performance and capability, on and off the road
December 4, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The 2021 Jeep® Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid has been named Hybrid Technology Solution of the Year by the AutoTech Breakthrough Awards program.

4xe is Jeep’s global name for its plug-in hybrid electric vehicle technology. Delivering up to 25 miles of nearly silent, zero-emission, electric-only propulsion, the new 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe is commuter friendly as an all-electric daily driver without range anxiety. It also is the most capable and eco-friendly off-road Jeep vehicle – combined with the open-air freedom that only Jeep Wrangler offers.

"The Jeep Wrangler 4xe reaches a new audience by creatively mixing advanced propulsion with a staple in the off-road world," said Bryan Vaughn, President of AutoTech Breakthrough Awards. "It is this combination of technology without sacrificing the core capabilities of the Wrangler that has earned the vehicle our Hybrid Technology Solution of the Year award."

The most advanced Wrangler powertrain combines a high-tech, 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine with two electric motors, a high-voltage battery pack and TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. Torque from the electric motors in the Wrangler 4xe arrives instantly on demand from the driver. The powertrain also delivers fuel-saving, seamless, stop-start operation of the engine.

Jeep Wrangler 4xe maximizes efficiency with an estimated 50 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe). With 375 horsepower, 470 lb.-ft. of torque, a 0-60 mph time of just 6.0 seconds and total driving range of nearly 400 miles, the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe delivers performance, benchmark off-road capability and an electric vehicle lifestyle.

Drivers can tailor the hybrid powertrain to best suit each trip with the E Selec mode buttons on the instrument panel. Hybrid, the default mode, blends power from the engine and electric motors. Electric prioritizes EV operation until the battery reaches its minimum charge, while eSave prioritizes propulsion from the engine, saving the battery charge for later use.

Trail Rated is a necessary component for all Jeep Wranglers. The 4xe is equipped with solid front and rear axles, full-time 4x4 two-speed transfer case, fully articulating suspension and 30 inches of water fording capability. All Wrangler 4xe power modes are available when the drivetrain is shifted to 4Lo. The seamless integration of electric power into the 4x4 drivetrain elevates the Wrangler 4xe to new levels of off-road performance.

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be sold globally and assembled at the FCA Toledo Assembly Complex in Toledo, Ohio.

AutoTech Breakthrough
Part of Tech Breakthrough, a leading market intelligence and recognition platform for global technology innovation and leadership, the AutoTech Breakthrough Awards program is devoted to honoring excellence in automotive technologies, services, companies and products. The AutoTech Breakthrough Awards program provides a forum for public recognition around the achievements of AutoTech companies and solutions in categories, including Connected Car, Electric Vehicles, Engine Tech, Automotive CyberSecurity, Sensor Technology, Traffic Tech, Vehicle Telematics and more. For more information, visit AutoTechBreakthrough.com.
Sponsored

Last edited:

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
The advantages of hybrid power are nice, but I suspect the higher price of the 4XE will not be cost-justified until surpassing 75,000 miles or more. Jeep will be the winner for being able to sell a higher-priced model, and kudos to them for taking on this development effort.

Drivetrain complexity factor goes way up...lots more to breakdown.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
I just sold my 2013 ford fusion plug in. It was the most reliable, least cost to maintain vehicle I have ever owned. I was saddened to see it had very low resale..... People still are not ready to change. I hope the Jeep has better luck at changing minds and holding resale.

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I just sold my 2013 ford fusion plug in. It was the most reliable, least cost to maintain vehicle I have ever owned. I was saddened to see it had very low resale..... People still are not ready to change. I hope the Jeep has better luck at changing minds and holding resale.
nobody wants sedans anymore

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This maybe true, but the same model in gas only has a higher resale value. You can't get anyone to buy a nissan leaf. My point is unless it's a tesla, you going to take a hit on an hybrid.
I still love them. Just know that popular opinion on hybrid or battery shows in a low resale value.

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
This maybe true, but the same model in gas only has a higher resale value. You can't get anyone to buy a nissan leaf. My point is unless it's a tesla, you going to take a hit on an hybrid.
I still love them. Just know that popular opinion on hybrid or battery shows in a low resale value.
In my experience, part of the big hit from hybrids and EVs is you can't go based on the MSRP - because resale market also takes into account the rebates that were used... If you buy a $40,000 Hybrid that had a $7500 Fed and a $2500 state credit... it isn't worth $35000 when you drive it off the lot like a normal car, it is worth $25,000, but you only paid $30000.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
offer up a unit with at minimum 300 miles range on electric then you'll have a winner until then I doubt the extra $$ will cover 25 miles of range.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my experience, part of the big hit from hybrids and EVs is you can't go based on the MSRP - because resale market also takes into account the rebates that were used... If you buy a $40,000 Hybrid that had a $7500 Fed and a $2500 state credit... it isn't worth $35000 when you drive it off the lot like a normal car, it is worth $25,000, but you only paid $30000.
It's going to depend on your state.
I did not pay MSRP ( lower .) Fed's only give $5,000 on the ford 7kw battery. Washington gave $0 and I have to pay $80.00 ( lic.tags )more a year for not using as much gas. Washington wants it's road tax and thinks that the hybrid or ev's need to pay more tax. As you know you can find a higher mpg vehicle then the fusion hybrid's mpge.
Same car on kbb $1,200 less then the same car in gas only. Just went through this 2 months ago.

Sponsored

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I don't think these lower resale values on other hybrids will carry over to the Jeep 4xe which is offering a significant upgrade in performance over the already VERY quick 2L Turbo engine (260hp/285T). I think it will be viewed more so like a "sports car" Wrangler rather than an eco friendly Prius. That's how I see it.

I currently have the 2L Turbo engine in my 2018 Sahara and I'm so impressed with its power. I love it, so I'm super excited that the 4xe will be noticeably more powerful. I ordered the 4xe this week and I'm willing to pay a premium for it to get the 375HP/470T upgrade.

My point is, I don't expect the 4xe to lose resale value because its a hybrid.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said in my first post. I hope Jeep has better luck. I want to buy it for sure, but will hold off. I took the Hybrid bite back in 2013. They are great, would like another someday.

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
offer up a unit with at minimum 300 miles range on electric then you'll have a winner until then I doubt the extra $$ will cover 25 miles of range.
IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 3 YEARS TO RECOUP THE MONEY!! N BARGAIN THERE!! I AGREE 100% PLUS ITS A FIRST YEAR THING

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
The economics simply don't work at the still-unknown but clearly premium price Jeep will extract from early adopters. Add to that the likely production issues of a proven but brand-new-to-Jeep technology, I will give it a few years, hopefully watch prices (and bugs) come down while government incentives go up. BTW, as soon as I saw rumors that there might be a $20K premium, I went out and bought my new Willys.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tring to remember, I think it was a $7-7500 over the same gas model ( 2013 ). Today the same in 2020 it's only $500 from gas to plug in.

I really hope Jeep keeps it in range and not have a $20k above same gas model.
Sponsored