Sponsored

New 2021 Hella Yella Willy’s (w/ origin-story) - Sarge JLR Pics Added

MOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUW 2.0T (Hella Yella), ‘23 JLW 2.0T (Sarge)
My first Jeep was an early first-year ‘18 JLR 6MT. It spent literally months in the shop before FCA bought it back from me.

Despite that I rolled the dice again and got into a ‘19 JLUS 6MT. Good Jeep. Totaled it last year. The Trooper told me I rolled it 3 or 4 times. Walked away without a scratch. Go roll-bar!

The wife and I are on a bunch of rural land now (moved back to the country during quarantine), so I replaced the wrecked one with a truck.

Missed having a Jeep a LOT, and am about two weeks from taking delivery of my next one. Back to a 2-door Rubi for me... not knocking either the 4-door platform or the Sierra, but between the wheelbase and gear-ratios the driving experience is really different between a JLR and JLUS in a manual, and I FAR prefer the former. The new ride is Sarge Green with tan leather, a hard top and tow/cold weather/steel bumper/LED packages. Can’t wait. Already have a Pakmule Sway-Back in the garage to compensate (somewhat) for the loss of a truck bed around the spread.

I did flirt hard with a new Bronco instead. Even had a fairly early deposit placed on a 2-door Badlands. In the end two things killed that for me. Mostly it was my bad experience with FCA first-model-year QA and not wanting to rely on “but Ford will do it better”, but honestly it was also the modern contours of the Bronco (yes, aggressive, but a bit SUV-blah) vs. the Jeep traditional squared-off ruggedness.

As I’ve been agonizing through the 6MT recall delay and musing aloud about it for the last couple of months, my wife let it slip that she had some serious Jeep envy when I had my last one. She could never drive it (doesn’t drive stick) and I thought she had been irritated just for that reason. Turns out, no... Jeep envy!

Long story short, we explored this and decided she wanted to try her own Jeep. She’s been in a hand-me-down BMW X1 that she genuinely hates for a couple of years now, so the time was right. Test drove a few and worked out the right features for her.

Landed on a 4-door 2.0T with Selec-Trac as the core options. Went that way due to the sweet pairing of the 2.0T and 850RE (I’m a die-hard stick driver and even I like driving it... best slush box / power-plant Jeep combo I’ve met yet), and because the black ice in NC is a serious thing and Selec-Trac for DD just makes sense.

Apparently, a SUPER hard to find combo. We could’ve custom ordered, but we already had one delayed in the pipeline and I didn’t want to lose momentum with her conversion to the path of Jeeply righteousness!

We finally found one after an extended search and brought it home yesterday.

Its a Willys. If I had ordered it I probably would have gone Sport S with upgrades, but after delving a little deeper into the Willys package/specs... and after getting into it and driving it... I AM STOKED!

Really smart combination of minor tweaks to the Sport which IMHO elevate it significantly and at a decent price.

The thing I was most unsure about was perhaps a little silly, but was the gloss grill. Just couldn't get used to how it looked in pictures... even in the one I attached below I think it looks a little off. In person??? Totally badass... really blends with the rest of the blacked out features (flares, hard top, wheels, etc.) and looks awesome!!!

She loves it. Loves, loves, loves it.

My job here is done.

Now... must hold on... out-gate to rail ETA of 3 days and counting for mine... breathe.... breathe...

I'll post pics of the Rubi here when I get it.

MOS
Jeep Wrangler JL New 2021 Hella Yella Willy’s (w/ origin-story) - Sarge JLR Pics Added Right
Jeep Wrangler JL New 2021 Hella Yella Willy’s (w/ origin-story) - Sarge JLR Pics Added Left
Jeep Wrangler JL New 2021 Hella Yella Willy’s (w/ origin-story) - Sarge JLR Pics Added Front
Jeep Wrangler JL New 2021 Hella Yella Willy’s (w/ origin-story) - Sarge JLR Pics Added Rear
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

MOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on the inbound JLR... ETA is 4/1... I hope they’re not joking!!!

MOS

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Nice, and welcome! My wife has a 2 dr Willys manual and I have a 4dr Rubi auto. You'll enjoy the way that new manual shifts. Much smoother than previous models.

Reactions: MOS

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
looks great! I’m waiting on my Rubi to be delivered as an upgrade to my Sport S. Message me if you want to get off-road. I’m in Chapel Hill and we have a text group for NC. There are groups going off-road almost every week starting in April. Also a good way to ask questions, share tips, or buy/sell/trade gear.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looks great! I’m waiting on my Rubi to be delivered as an upgrade to my Sport S. Message me if you want to get off-road. I’m in Chapel Hill and we have a text group for NC. There are groups going off-road almost every week starting in April. Also a good way to ask questions, share tips, or buy/sell/trade gear.
Thanks for that, ThirtyOne! PM forthcoming.

MOS

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
Nice Willy and Welcome!

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I spotted my first Bronco parked on the street yesterday. This was the first time I had seen on in the flesh so to speak. Did not like it at all. Perhaps is was a base model, but the thing had no presence. It actually looked like some kind of miniature ford explorer or something. It Blended in well with the other vehicles parked on the street instead of standing out. Strike 1.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I spotted my first Bronco parked on the street yesterday. This was the first time I had seen on in the flesh so to speak. Did not like it at all. Perhaps is was a base model, but the thing had no presence. It actually looked like some kind of miniature ford explorer or something. It Blended in well with the other vehicles parked on the street instead of standing out. Strike 1.
What you probably saw was a "Sport" which is different/smaller. I don't think the regular ones are out and about yet. I agree as to the looks tho...Here's the difference

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nice Willys. The Hella looks good with black accents. I like the gloss grille, but my Jeep is white I bet she will love the JLUW after having the cramped little X1. It has a much more comfortable seat, better seating position and so much more room. Here’s the tough part, let it be hers. Yours will be here soon and you can do whatever you want to it.

Oh, on those tires. They can be a little squirmy feeling when new. Most are way overfilled on dealer lots so check to make sure the pressure is correct in them. She may find the tires are noisy. I got used to mine. They ride nice and I’m getting 21 average with MTs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Good choice on best color!

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Oh, on those tires. They can be a little squirmy feeling when new. Most are way overfilled on dealer lots so check to make sure the pressure is correct in them. She may find the tires are noisy. I got used to mine. They ride nice and I’m getting 21 average with MTs.
True on the tires. Most come from the dealer at like 40psi for some reason. ALSO CHECK YOUR FUSES! Push them all in till they click. There has been a number of gremlins created by loose fuses.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
True on the fuses.

And just for asthetics, clock the spare to the left so the Firestone is on top. I know, I’m weird that way.

OP
OP

MOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the dealer air-down to 37 on the lot and yes... like a dozen of the fuses needed seating. Did that on the lot as well... both things before the wife drove it. Didn’t want anything interfering with her falling in love with it. Which she did. Hard.

As predicted, now she won’t let me drive it. Thats okay. I want her to be territorial about it. I’m the same way!

The shipping wait is SO hard. Now my Rubi is supposed to hit the Winston-Salem rail yard on the 21st.

MOS

OP
OP

MOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Adding pics of the companion-Jeep... my new JL Rubicon in Sarge Green!

Yes, I had to seat about half the fuses.

Yes, the tires were over-inflated (like, 43)... and yes, once aired down to 35 it rides smooth and tracks well.

LOVE the tan interior with the Sarge... had some Weathertech floor and cargo liners ready... I think they look awesome with the seating.

Gonna hook up the Pakmule I bought for it tomorrow so I can take my garbage to the dump (I'm rural)... also gonna pop the Thule rack from my old (now dead) Saharra onto the wife's Willy's.

FUN!!!!!!

JLR Left.jpg

JLR Front.jpg

JLR Left.jpg

JLR Right.jpg

JLR Front Interior.jpg

JLR Rear Interior .jpg
Sponsored