New 2020 Land Rover Defender vs Jeep JL Wrangler

Rover

First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Updated with good article and chart from Autoblog comparing the 2020 Defender vs 2020 Wrangler:

2020-defender-vs-2020-jeep-jl-wrangler-jpeg.jpg

Engines and drivetrains

The Land Rover is the clear high-performance option of these two SUVs. Its base turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder, offered only in the four-door Defender 110, is more powerful than either of the gas engines offered on the Jeep Wrangler. The Wrangler's four-cylinder matches it on torque, at least. The optional turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six in the Defender makes over 100 more horsepower and pound-feet of torque than either Jeep gas engine. But if you're looking for diesel propulsion, along with its associated torque and fuel economy, the Wrangler will be your only option. Final specs haven't been released, but in the Ram 1500, the same engine makes 260 horsepower and 480 pound-feet of torque. Fuel economy hasn't been announced for the Land Rover or the diesel Wrangler. But if fuel economy is a concern, the four-cylinder Wrangler is the most frugal of the SUVs we have numbers on.

As for transmissions, the Wrangler is your only choice if you have to have a manual. It's available on both the two-door and four-door models, but only with the V6 engine. If you don't mind an automatic transmission, both SUVs come with variations on the ZF eight-speed auto.

Getting the power to the wheels is another area where these two SUVs diverge. The Jeep is very traditional with a standard selectable four-wheel-drive system with two-wheel drive, and low- and high-range four-wheel drive modes. On the Sahara, there's an available full-time four-wheel drive mode, but the other modes are still available. On the Land Rover, you get full-time four-wheel drive, the same kind used on the Land Rover Range Rover. Traditional off-road enthusiasts will probably prefer the Wrangler's selectable system, but those looking for simple, seamless four-wheel traction will likely prefer the Defender's full-time system.

Suspension and off-road capability

Here, the Wrangler and Defender go in different directions yet again. The Wrangler relies on very traditional solid front and rear axles for its suspension setup. This allows for lots of axle articulation that helps make sure all four tires are on the ground and moving the SUV forward. To help with this, the Rubicon version offers disconnecting sway bars for further axle articulation as well as front and rear electronic differential lockers to keep power going to all four wheels.

The Defender uses a much more modern suspension setup with independent suspension at both ends. This can provide a more refined on-road driving experience, but can limit axle articulation and lead to having a wheel or two in the air at times when off-roading. Land Rover does include various terrain settings for the drivetrain to improve traction in different driving conditions. It will also offer a locking center differential and automatic locking rear differential to help improve traction.

Suspension design isn't the only thing to look at when considering off-road capability. You also want to see what kind of ground clearance and approach, breakover and departure angles each vehicle has, which determine how steep a hill or object your SUV can climb onto, clear, and descend down without hitting anything expensive. Though the Defender sits the lowest in standard settings, its adjustable suspension can lift it to have 11.5 inches of ground clearance, which is even more than the Wrangler Rubicon's 10.8 inches. As for approach angles, both versions of the Wrangler will let you get started up a steeper hill. But when it comes to cresting and coming down, the Defender, in both 90 and 110 styles, can handle sharper and steeper objects than comparable Wranglers.

Exterior and interior dimensions

Comparing two-door and four-door models, both types of Wrangler are a bit shorter, narrower and lower than the comparable Defenders on the outside. Despite that, the Wrangler does have more head- and legroom for the front passengers, and more rear headroom than the Defender. The Defender has an edge when it comes to front shoulder room and rear legroom. The Defender 110 has an extra bonus in the availability of a third row of seats, something not available on the Wrangler Unlimited.

When it comes to cargo space, the Wrangler has the absolute maximum amount of space available. And when comparing the two-door models, the Wrangler has more space behind the rear seats. But with the four-door models, the Defender 110 has more cargo space behind the second row, something that's possible by having enough room to cram in a third row if desired. The Defender is also the clear choice if you want to tow, as it has a maximum tow rating of 8,200 pounds for both the 90 and 110 versions. The four-door Wrangler Rubicon is only rated up to 3,500 pounds, and the two-door model isn't rated at all. If you want a Wrangler to tow things, you're better off with the Gladiator pickup truck, which can tow up to 7,650 pounds.

Price

The Jeep Wrangler is, unsurprisingly, the more affordable choice. Though pricing hasn't been announced for the 2020 model, it should start at about $30,000 for a base two-door Sport and about $33,000 for a base Wrangler Unlimited Sport. The Land Rover Defender starts at $50,925 for the 110. Pricing hasn't been announced for the 90, which will be available later in 2020, along with pricing.

Looking for some info on the jl/gladiator from former Defender owners
I seen a new Jeep while out for dinner on the weekend and was quite impressed
I’m a Long time Rover Defender owner and a former Jeep TJ owner so how does the new Jeep stack up to the fender ?
Has Jeep finally got its act together the TJ was great on the highway but not so great off-road I think I broke everything on it!
I can see I’m going to be losing a whole bunch of boot/trunk space compared to the 110 but I’m willing to compromise a little just to have some creature comforts!
How about all the computer stuff my last 110 I built was 300 tdi and automatic with the disco transfer case so speed isn’t really the issue in that setup the fender will do 75mph no problem
Price wise they are the same but a new truck instead of one put together from pieces and a warranty are quite appealing!
Any thoughts???
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Rover

First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Lol like any 4x4 break it fix it repeat getting a little tired of that though
The video was pretty much right on about the Landy but the Jeep’s come a long way from the TJ bit surprised though Jeep hasn’t upped the towing capacity or trunk space

Sponsored

cool_it

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ballardphotos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon; 2008 Liberty
Occupation
Fire Protection / Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a friend who works for an aftermarket LR company who was telling me about the new Defender and asked whether I would consider a 90. He told me the base model would be in the same price bracket as the Rubicon. I thought it might be interesting to see what they looked like, not likely I would consider one but after the unveiling, holy cow! I know some folks put the angry jeep face on but the LR comes with the face from the factory and it looks a little cartoonish. Looking at it from the side, it reminds me of lifted Kia Soul. I was really expecting something boxy like the old defender or even some hints of a G Wagon. I am curious if this will share any parts with the proposed Bronco.

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
Looking for some info on the jl/gladiator from former Defender owners
I seen a new Jeep while out for dinner on the weekend and was quite impressed
I
I was going to buy a NAS 90, but instead am looking at a JLU. The safety, comfort, availability of parts (OEM and aftermarket) and availability of the vehicles are what made me opt for the Wrangler.

I don't think that you are talking about the new Defender (the one that was announced yesterday). The new Defender and JL Wrangler share a common heritage, but the new Defender is a Defender by name only. It may be a capable off-roader, but a smaller percentage of new Defender owners than Wrangler owners will be taking them off-road. They are also no longer capable of being set up as rock crawlers.

I would only buy a NAS or ROW Defender as a place to park some cash. That is the thing that have against the current JL's. A new Jeep will depreciate, but a NAS or ROW Defender (not the new one announced yesterday) will at least hold their value. NAS will appreciate more than ROW.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Unlike many Wrangler owners, I was cheering for Land Rover to get the Defender right. I believe that competition drives innovation, so having another vehicle nipping on their heels will cause our friends in Toledo to stay on their toes.

Overall I thought the Defender came out right. I’m not in love with the curvy aesthetics, but that’s cosmetic and in the eye of the beholder. Another person May love it.

One thing that baffles me is why they didn’t make a convertible? I rarely see old school Defenders with the top on. Just like Wrangler owners, Defender owners seem to enjoy the open air experience. Why is LR denying them?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Unlike many Wrangler owners, I was cheering for Land Rover to get the Defender right. I believe that competition drives innovation, so having another vehicle nipping on their heels will cause our friends in Toledo to stay on their toes.

Overall I thought the Defender came out right. I’m not in love with the curvy aesthetics, but that’s cosmetic and in the eye of the beholder. Another person May love it.

One thing that baffles me is why they didn’t make a convertible? I rarely see old school Defenders with the top on. Just like Wrangler owners, Defender owners seem to enjoy the open air experience. Why is LR denying them?
Land Rover are making much of the strength of their ‘unibody’ design aren’t they. I guess taking the roof off would compromise this.

That’s my best guess.

UUBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; ‘95 Land Rover Defender 90
I own a ‘95 NAS Defender. It’s my weekend play car. I bought it back in 2000 when you could actually find them for an affordable price. I love the ruggedness, and that I can take it anywhere. I am consolidating down to one car though, and for me this isn’t practical as my daily driver. So my debate was JLUR or wait for the new Defender. I ordered the 2020 JLUR 3 weeks ago. After seeing the debut of the new Defender, I’m very happy with my decision. The new Defender just doesn’t seem to have that ruggedness of the original.

Now I’m hoping the renewed interest in Defenders will drive up the price for my ‘95, since that’s how I’m paying for my JLUR. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
The new Defender to my eyes looks like a remodel of the Discovery 4 with the Defender badge on it. It looks better than I anticipated it to be and I’m sure it’ll be a hit.

It’s not the rugged workhorse it used to be though. I’m sure it’s still very capable off road but it’s clear what direction JLR took with the Defender: the luxury SUV market.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
$79K before you get the sliding panoramic roof, no thanks. Its just a luxury SUV and IMO has no business wearing the Defender nameplate. I haven't been interested in anything LR since they messed up the Discovery for 2005.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
$79K before you get the sliding panoramic roof, no thanks.
I am not personally a fan of the new Defender, but this is nonsense.
You can get the sliding panoramic roof on the base model as a 1700$ option. So, 50k.
Take that up to 60k and that gets you a Snorkel, e-diffs, adjustable suspension, trail response, roof rack, winch kit and adaptive CC with auto braking and 5mm skid plates.
It's not a Wrangler. It's a luxury brand off roader.
I personally would never take anything with air suspension on a long off road adventure, but weekend trips? Should be good enough and likely just as "reliable" as our Jeeps.
Now, leather is like 5k option and the larger engine is also very expensive.

upload_2019-9-12_16-23-18.png

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Love the video for it, has some really cool features, but at that price point it will be so many years before you see these on the trails and it doesn't even compare to the JL for its lowest price, you still end up paying a ton!

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Love the video for it, has some really cool features, but at that price point it will be so many years before you see these on the trails and it doesn't even compare to the JL for its lowest price, you still end up paying a ton!
Perhaps they are marketing it as a "low cost beater" option for Mercedes G-Klasse owners? Something they can bash on the trails without caring if it gets damaged. ;)
Sponsored