New 2020 Land Rover Defender vs Jeep JL Wrangler

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have a buyer for my 2020 JLUR, but with my current work schedule I am not sure when I'll be able to arrange getting that process done.

once sold will be getting something off-road capable, but more focused on desert running and road comfort.. I will not be driving for 6 months or more so the replacement will be a highway vehicle for my wife. so far shortlist is the Defender, or another LR, ZR2 BISON, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a Hemi, New Bronco, or maybe something else. may end up with a truck that is great on the Highway, and then a SXS for harder trails once I am ready for that again.

I will say, if they offer a JLUR in Mojave trim (built for dunes like the Gladiator) I may end up over there. I actually Love my 2020 JLUR, but it will not be practical for the short term and has never met my long term goals of being more Raptor like for the desert and faster mountain trails. if only reason do crawling, Runicon all day, no questions.
I hope everything goes well for you.
Sponsored

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely. I'm not brand loyal in the least but they really ruined the concept of what the defender was all about.
Agree with this! I understand Range Rovers, Discovery, Evoque etc. and the reasons they design it that way. The Defender should be a very different vehicle and they failed in my view.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Not a ramp (I would like to see it's RTI score) but first thing in this video is an articulation test. Looks to me like it has about as much wheel travel as a skateboard. With the lockers and such it looks well controlled and capable, sorta like a Pinz, but I still prefer to keep my tires on the ground as much as possible. I think there's a good reason that Jeep has a disconnecting swaybar on the Rubicon even though it has lockers.
Unfortunately, with IS, no amount of lockers will be able to save you from bellying up though.

@AnnDee4444 watch at 3:40 for what the new defender might look like on a ramp.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Unfortunately, with IS, no amount of lockers will be able to save you from bellying up though.
Interesting info about IFS in the Wrangler: https://www.allpar.com/SUVs/lil-blue.html
We invented an IFS design which did not compromise the drive shaft angles and had 12 inches of travel. This design had off-road capability equal to the beam axle design. It did increase unsprung mass about 25 percent vs. a shorter travel independent front suspension, although it still had lower unsprung mass than a beam axle design [our italics]. The cost to manufacture this suspension was about that of the Dakota IFS at the time [which was] more than double the cost of the Grand Cherokee front suspension.

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Not a ramp (I would like to see it's RTI score) but first thing in this video is an articulation test. Looks to me like it has about as much wheel travel as a skateboard. With the lockers and such it looks well controlled and capable, sorta like a Pinz, but I still prefer to keep my tires on the ground as much as possible. I think there's a good reason that Jeep has a disconnecting swaybar on the Rubicon even though it has lockers.

Horrible video. I want those 5 minutes of my life back that I spent watching that utterly useless video of the Defender. That thing does nothing but defends its image as a Mall crawler in England.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Another article on the Defender. Automobile Magazine reports the Defender is just a touch behind the G-Wagon and Wrangler as a real world off-roader. That's pretty good company. Nice to have choices.

A quote…"The Defender is remarkably capable—perhaps a notch behind stalwarts like the Mercedes-Benz G-wagen and Jeep Wrangler, but miles ahead of the vast majority of SUVs on the road. And therein lies its strength, offering a comfortable, competent vehicle for everyday driving that also get you through a river crossing or a rock-strewn pass."

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/...74FF4E587D3AB87D50AAB9F2A35C503E430F6719FC3E4

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have a buyer for my 2020 JLUR, but with my current work schedule I am not sure when I'll be able to arrange getting that process done.

once sold will be getting something off-road capable, but more focused on desert running and road comfort.. I will not be driving for 6 months or more so the replacement will be a highway vehicle for my wife. so far shortlist is the Defender, or another LR, ZR2 BISON, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a Hemi, New Bronco, or maybe something else. may end up with a truck that is great on the Highway, and then a SXS for harder trails once I am ready for that again.

I will say, if they offer a JLUR in Mojave trim (built for dunes like the Gladiator) I may end up over there. I actually Love my 2020 JLUR, but it will not be practical for the short term and has never met my long term goals of being more Raptor like for the desert and faster mountain trails. if only reason do crawling, Runicon all day, no questions.
This is pretty interesting. For speed and handling it's IFS and amply powered motor all day long if that is ones over riding pleasure spot.

However my once stock jlur was a monster off road railing going up and down four peaks road. I had to have pissed off more than a few people as I rocketed up and down it before I came to my senses and realized while I wasnt putting myself or anyone in danger it was still pretty douche-e of me. lol I just never thought of the jlur as any kind of rally vehicle. I dont know how well it would do in other fast environments but thinking pretty good.

Now that I've lifted it, along with 37's and a regear it isnt quite as good, but still pretty amazing. Still I didnt buy to go speeding around trails (and it is super rare I do this) but it's good to know it will do it up to my satisfaction.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
you see when you live in Europe you dream of a Jeep and when you live in America you buy a Jeep , it just makes sense

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

@ 11:12
This is a good example of a vehicle that has NO wheel articulation.

111.jpg

2222.jpg

According to the commentator, driving on a gravel road causing you to lift a wheel is considered "taking it to the next level"
Where have I seen this before... Oh yeah:

Maybe we are comparing the Defender to the wrong Jeep

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Where have I seen this before... Oh yeah:

Maybe we are comparing the Defender to the wrong Jeep
I'd agree.
Having owned Defenders in the past I can safely say that the new LR is not a defender. I just isn't. It exemplifies everything that the real Defender wasn't.
It's very expensive. It's complex, making field repairs impossible. It's extremely posh inside making it less utilitarian. Is has unibody construction and FIS, making it all but impossible to modify.
The only thing this monstrosity has over the Wrangler is payload and towing capacity, where are miles ahead of Jeeps. Then again, my BMW R65 with side car can tow more than the Jeep.
All and all, this new "Pretender" makes me sad.