First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Isn't the Jeep payload like 850lbs? Defender looks to be double, that could be a factor. Tongue weight is supposed to be, what, 10% of the trailer? I put five wheels&tires on a hitch mount carrier a couple weekends ago and my ass end was sagging pretty hard (should have been under or around 350lbs).
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Top gear got to drive the new Defender where I grew up...

I would take that in a heartbeat! Would love an advanced camera system like that on the JL, and those side saddle type ladder and container would be great. Maybe someone will offer something similar for the Jeep soon.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Nice video! It will take some sales away from the JLUR. The big questions are always reliability and repair costs.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Top gear got to drive the new Defender where I grew up...

@5:33 ā€œThe truth is, I donā€™t really get off-roading, not as a hobby at least, why would anyone want to go spend their weekend and trying to get stuck in a puddle?ā€

I stopped watching there.

Honestly the same logic could be applied by anyone for everything in life that they donā€™t do. In the end, why do anything at all?

Also he said ā€œThe Defender has to be the most rugged most capable CAR in the worldā€

But then proceeds to drive it on basically a dirt and gravel road the rest of the video and gets stuck in a puddle. So no, he really doesnā€™t ā€œgetā€ off-roading.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

@ 11:12
This is a good example of a vehicle that has NO wheel articulation.

111.jpg

2222.jpg

According to the commentator, driving on a gravel road causing you to lift a wheel is considered "taking it to the next level"

Last edited:

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the Jeep payload like 850lbs? Defender looks to be double, that could be a factor. Tongue weight is supposed to be, what, 10% of the trailer? I put five wheels&tires on a hitch mount carrier a couple weekends ago and my ass end was sagging pretty hard (should have been under or around 350lbs).
There is a difference between tongue weight and tow capacity. What you are talking about is tongue weight. A rule of thumb, your tongue weight should be a max of 10% of your vehicleā€™s towing capacity. So for a wrangler it should be a max of 350 lbs.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Nice video! It will take some sales away from the JLUR. The big questions are always reliability and repair costs.
Cool features. I am interested in test-driving the 2-door Defender 90.

Historically speaking Land Rover might actually be lower on quality control surveys then FCA products? LR has a little better factory warranty though. Repair costā€¦no question will be higher with LR. Dealer network is spotty also compared to FCA.

Last edited:

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
The new LR is a Mall crawler and that's it! Way too nice for trails. It's an SUV to be used as a pavement princess. I do not see anything rugged about it. And as mentioned before, it's way overpriced! We thought the Jeeps were expensive, LR said 'Hold my beer!' I see high end soccer moms driving these, not 4x4 guys on the trails or at Moab. Not even in the same league as a Jeep not to mention the ability to remove the doors, the top and lower the windshield. Super happy I grabbed a JLUR, it's in a class by itself!

Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Land rovers have been trash since ....late 80s?

Jeeps are overpriced.

Lr/rr are just fucking stupid.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Land rovers have been trash since ....late 80s?

Jeeps are overpriced.

Lr/rr are just fucking stupid.
Iā€™m not sure whether youā€™re saying Land Rover as a company is ā€˜fucking stupidā€™ or you think their products are ā€˜fucking stupidā€™ or maybe itā€™s their prices you think are ā€˜fucking stupdā€™?

Whatever...since the products have been, you alledge, ā€˜trash since ....late 80sā€™ itā€™s surprising theyā€™ve sold so many. Perhaps itā€™s the customers you consider to be ā€˜fucking stupidā€™?

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Iā€™m not sure whether youā€™re saying Land Rover as a company is ā€˜fucking stupidā€™ or you think their products are ā€˜fucking stupidā€™ or maybe itā€™s their prices you think are ā€˜fucking stupdā€™?

Whatever...since the products have been, you alledge, ā€˜trash since ....late 80sā€™ itā€™s surprising theyā€™ve sold so many. Perhaps itā€™s the customers you consider to be ā€˜fucking stupidā€™?
the prices on them are beyond asinine. they sell for the same reason Jaguars do. they are a status symbol. plain and simple.

the build quality has been going downhill at breakneck speed for ages. they have more air suspension problems then Lincolns do....and THAT is a statement.

in You'd like to draw the inference that that was a swipe at land rover owners (again, not the real ones, the fake saccharine poser land rovers that belong at the mall, not on a trail), Feel free,

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would take that in a heartbeat! Would love an advanced camera system like that on the JL, and those side saddle type ladder and container would be great. Maybe someone will offer something similar for the Jeep soon.
I should have a side-saddle mount system for the JL available in the near future, provided the Corona virus doesn't start turning people into zombies... you'd think it was based on how govt officials are reacting to it

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
the prices on them are beyond asinine. they sell for the same reason Jaguars do. they are a status symbol. plain and simple.

the build quality has been going downhill at breakneck speed for ages. they have more air suspension problems then Lincolns do....and THAT is a statement.

in You'd like to draw the inference that that was a swipe at land rover owners (again, not the real ones, the fake saccharine poser land rovers that belong at the mall, not on a trail), Feel free,

Lol
Sponsored