Sponsored

New 2020 Land Rover Defender vs Jeep JL Wrangler

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I saw the new 2020 Defender at the Chicago Auto Show. I was NEVER a fan of Range Rover. I was pleasantly surprised! I have to say the new Defender has piqued my interest big time.

The IFS will be a instant turn-off for rock crawlers. It's not a true rock climbing competitor with a removable roof / doors but it looks very appealing for the money. A Bronco is probably a closer competitor. There is definitely overlap pricing wise. $50K-$60K for loaded a loaded Rubicon or Sahara is common. You can order a near $70K Wrangler if you check off all the boxes. My JLR has a MSRP of $49,500. The new 2-door Defender 90 starts at $49K, the 4-door at $59K. They have a LOT of standard equipment at the base prices.

The Defender seems to be very capable. Maybe not competition with a Rubicon in terms of rock crawling but still very capable. I can see some owners who prioritize luxury over off road prowlessness cross shopping considering the prices overlap now.

The Defender has some very cool options and technology like optional adjustable air suspension, built-in air compressor, pressurized water, etc.

https://www.cars.com/articles/auto-...efender-vs-2020-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-413996/

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/10/2020-land-rover-defender-jeep-wrangler-specs-comparo/

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve never been a LR fan but holy crap this thing has some sweeeeet features. And built in angry eyes for the Florida Market.

I agree. I was NEVER a fan of Land Rover either. Saw it at a auto show and was wowed! Tons of cool features and technology even in the base model for $50K and $60K. Not cheap but neither are some of the loaded up Wranglers. Even optioned up the Defender still overlaps pricing wise with some Wranglers. I think JEEP hit it out of the park with the JL. I love my JLR and the removable doors, roof, so I don't know if I would consider something else? Saying that? I would be doing myself a disservice if I did not at least go test drive a Defender 90 after seeing the video.

Not a fan of the "angry eyes" on the Defender or Wrangler aftermarket but could easily overlook it if the Defender performs and drives good.

Great video!

Last edited:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I would have been interested if their diesel's would have been an option for the North American market.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have been interested if their diesel's would have been an option for the North American market.
I never thought I would see so many different engine options on a Wrangler. At least you can get the diesel Wrangler. Did you get your's yet?

In "theory" I thought a diesel Wrangler would be perfect and I wanted one forever. Unfortunately it's not available yet in a 2-door. Probably does not matter for me anyways now that I read about ideal and not ideal driving habits for diesels. I do a lot of city bumper to bumper, shorter stop and go trips. I herd that's not ideal for diesels. Herd diesels really shine on longer highway trips. Oh well.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I never thought I would see so many different engine options on a Wrangler. At least you can get the diesel Wrangler. Did you get your's yet? Nope. Hasn't even started the build process yet. Ordered 2.5 months ago.....

In "theory" I thought a diesel Wrangler would be perfect and I wanted one forever. Unfortunately it's not available yet in a 2-door. Probably does not matter for me anyways now that I read about ideal and not ideal driving habits for diesels. I do a lot of city bumper to bumper, shorter stop and go trips. I herd that's not ideal for diesels. Herd diesels really shine on longer highway trips. Oh well.
The emissions on diesels is what causes your statements to be true. If these engines were uncorked (so to speak) they would get much better mileage on average, and we would also see their reliability skyrocket.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone please explain to me why the Defender 110 can tow up to 8200 lbs vs the JLU which can tow up to 3500 lbs. They are both similar in size. The former is independent suspension and the latter is solid axle. What are the factors that make the defender tow more?

Can some of the attributes be changed in the JLU without very expensive and extensive modifications to increase itā€™s towing capacity?

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it's not wheelbase related. The 110 has a 110" wheelbase, while the JLU is 118.4".
The wheelbase of the new defender is 119ā€. But I already guessed that the size isnā€™t the factor. Could it be the engine and transmission cooling? Suspension capability? Frame? Axle limits?

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I heard that the major contributor to the low tow rating is cooling capacity.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Maybe the engine makes more power? Also, smaller tires = easier on the braking system.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Maybe the engine makes more power? Also, smaller tires = easier on the braking system.
Rarely is power the limiting factor in towing capacity. Besides the JL Diesel is limited to the same 3,500 lb capacity as the 2.0 and 3.6, and the Diesel makes power up the wazoo.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can someone please explain to me why the Defender 110 can tow up to 8200 lbs vs the JLU which can tow up to 3500 lbs. They are both similar in size. The former is independent suspension and the latter is solid axle. What are the factors that make the defender tow more?

Can some of the attributes be changed in the JLU without very expensive and extensive modifications to increase itā€™s towing capacity?
I think a some of it has to do with thermo efficiency? There is very interesting thread out there about how Gladiator Engineers had to get really creative with thermo efficiency to get the tow rating up for the Gladiator.
Sponsored

Last edited: