New 2020 Land Rover Defender vs Jeep JL Wrangler

Andras

First Name
Andras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR4, Jeep Wrangler JL
I'll bet I can drive your Jeep the same speed as your LR in the snow, lol. Probably faster. ;)
and you would lose that bet.
as i said I have more fun to drive the jeep, period.
But don't kid yourself - in slippery surfaces on the highway independent suspension with full time 4wd/open diff with electronic aids are far superior to what the wrangler has.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If ya never removed your doors, you ain't livin'. ;) My top is down just about any time it's not raining. Doors come off on days that the rain chances are nil
In most of the states I lived, driving without doors was / is illegal. In Europe, unless you are on private property, it is also illegal.
While I may only need to pay like 20 bucks for a speeding ticket, other infractions, such as not having doors would be significantly more costly.

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
I'll probably trade in my jl for white base defender 110 next year...omg som ting wong...

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I love the new Defender based on the paper specs and photos. No, it’s not the utilitarian vehicle it used to be, but that’s not what the market wants anyway. I’ve been in a RR Sport SVR and Discovery recently for a week at a time each and JLR has really stepped up their quality over older models. They drive really well, and just are overall great vehicles.

The most aggravating part was the infotainment which was slow and unresponsive. The Defender gets an updated version of this so that issue is non-existent.

Most people won’t take this off-road but those that do will be rewarded with a very, very capable vehicle. I can’t wait to drive one.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I have been a huge fan of the defenders all my life. I was upset when they stopped being available in the US after the '97 model. I almost bought a '95 model several years back, but as those editions are, it was severely over-priced. I've been eagerly awaiting the Defender re-release. I couldn't wait any longer, so I got a Wrangler, which is also a car I've always wanted..... I AM SO HAPPY I DID NOT WAIT FOR THE DEFENDER!

This model just completely killed the rough and rugged look of the original Defenders. I am so disappointed. It looks like an expensive Honda Element. Too curvy and bubbly. Good luck trying to customize that as easily as the old defenders were to customize.
In my opinion, there is no longer a battle between Jeep Rubicon and Land Rover Defender in off road wars and that market. Jeep definitely won that one!

Now I'm curious how the Bronco turned out, if they completely rounded that one off too, then Jeep wins another battle.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I’d have no problem buying the 110 and parking it in the garage right next to the Rubicon. I like them both.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’d have no problem buying the 110 and parking it in the garage right next to the Rubicon. I like them both.
I was thinking the same thing... My wife really likes the Range Rover Sport or Velar, but I think I can convince her that the Defender is a good option.

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I was thinking the same thing... My wife really likes the Range Rover Sport or Velar, but I think I can convince her that the Defender is a good option.
Your wife has great taste. I like those two models as well.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I think the new Defender was not manufactured to face the Wrangler

In a press interview with the Italian director of the modern design department in Land Rover
The Defender project was launched in 2013 to 2016

From my point of view
Land Rover Discovery has failed against the Toyota Prado 150 worldwide
It is clear to me that Land Rover is introducing the new Defender to win this battle against the Toyota Prado

Next year the new Toyota Prado will be introduced under the name of the Land Cruiser Prado 180
That's what the leaks say

Wrangler his idea is different and his way is different..The real competitors of Wrangler are within America / 4runner and Bronco .

The following video 9 years ago illustrates part of the competition that is still taking place among these brands outside America

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've always felt it was well worth a mpg penalty to drive something with heightened capability, especially here in the northeast during the winter. It can be hit or miss with snow and when it hits, it hits.

My wife has been interested in an upgrade from her current nissan juke awd, moreso since my Rubicon came in. She prefers a 2 door, so the defender 90 caught my eye. I watched that well done 12 minute sales pitch and thought it had a cool look about it and some interesting creature comforts and features. We sat down the other night so I could show her the video, which I happily looked at as a good find. Nope! Didn't make it past the 7 second mark before she said "ew, shut it off! Looks like a yuppy that doesn't know how to pump their own gas, but is trying to come across as a bad ass. I want a Punk'n 2 door Rubicon." Damn I love that girl more everyday!

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
I love the Velar. My aunt has the white with black roof, forgot which trim, but it drives super nice and looks awesome. The tech inside is really cool as well.
Sponsored