First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My 2016 needed to be rebuilt (2.6L Penstar valve issue) and I never noticed a thing after it was done. Dealers are no longer like they used to be. I’d get a new engine and keep loving the Jeep.
Fortunately they’re replacing the entire engine, not just the top end or a rebuild.
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
At least you’re dealership is replacing it and not trying to turn it around on you as if you were complicit in the engine needing replaced. Thus far, they’re solid engines. I’d be more concerned that they let the best techs handle the swap.

I can’t even justify why a new Jeep is necessary at this point.
I agree having a competent mechanic or 2 installing the engine is key to having no problems as installing the engine at the factory is much easier than installing it at a dealership. I would ask for some free perks for the inconvenience like free detailing and oil changes for the next 5 years....

Unkle Fester

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
OP
OP
Alanaloo

Alanaloo

First Name
Alana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Edition
I agree having a competent mechanic or 2 installing the engine is key to having no problems as installing the engine at the factory is much easier than installing it at a dealership. I would ask for some free perks for the inconvenience like free detailing and oil changes for the next 5 years....
Oh I asked for some perks. Getting additional 2 year warranty and oil changes.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I asked for some perks. Getting additional 2 year warranty and oil changes.
Good move. I had a Ford Ecoboost 3.5 replaced in our Transit Van at the dealership due to an oil change place mess-up. That van installation was more complicated than a Jeep 2.0 installation would be. They got it right and the new engine is at about 60k miles now and has been perfect the whole way. Not one issue.

Hopefully, you'll be enjoying your Jeep soon as if it never happened. And you'll have 2 more years of peace of mind to go with it.

These things happen. An engine swap is not hard for an FCA certified tech. They do these more often than one would really want to know. The 2.0 has some space to work with in the Wrangler, too.

I hate that you had to go through this with a new car. I'll bet you get years and years of joy out of it afterward, though.

Geezpnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I was ecstatic when I was finally able to drive my brand new 2020 JLU home on July 30th. On August 15th I noticed acceleration issues and took it straight back to the dealership. I'm being told that there is misfire on cylinder one and it needs the engine replaced due to faulty spark plug installation?? It has 600 miles on it. I am beside myself, I've had it for a little over 2 weeks and already a new engine? Do I have this replaced or do I start the process for a new replacement Jeep? Please help... Any advice would be much appreciated. Below is a portion of the email that I received from the service department today.

"Since the vehicle was received so late on Saturday, we were not able to get in and diagnose this issue until Monday morning. Diagnostic vehicle scan report showed a Cylinder 1 misfire code that was active, thus causing the running concern you were experiencing. Our tech removed the spark plug from cylinder #1 and noticed that the ground (metal hook that creates spark when the electrode on the plug fires) was broken off and missing. At this point, since the vehicle was so new, our technician reached out to FCA engineering regarding next step. FCA responded with complete engine replacement as the repair for this concern assuming that the metal ground from the spark plug may have caused damage to the engine internally.
An engine was placed on order 08/17/20 am and shows an updated ETA date this morning of 08/24/2020. Although this date may change slightly, it is a good indicator that the engine is no longer on back order and is being released for distribution.
Per my conversation with Jason this morning, I understand that you may no longer want this vehicle and be interested in switching to another Jeep. If this is your decision, we can reach out to FCA and get that process started. I will get the proper people involved and try to make that happen for you.
Please understand that the proposed repair will be a complete engine assembly and will be installed by a factory trained technician and will be quality checked before releasing to you. A loaner vehicle will be provided until your vehicle is repaired. I will make this process as easy for you as I possibly can. Feel free to reach out to me with questions or concerns."
I’m on the same boat as you. Are there any updates?
Sponsored