Sponsored

New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo Engine (Hurricane) FIRST spy photos!

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
Another thing ive seen on the Ford forums is how many people have blown (up) their 2.3 ecoboost engines. i'm talking untuned stock motors with people driving in 5th gear at 60mph.. as expected even more tuned ecoboost mustangs have blown their engines and there's plenty of anecdotal stories about it on the interwebs.
So who here's gonna be the first to tune your Hurricane Wrangler? :D

Also, Alfa's turbo 4 has a closed deck design vs the Hurricane engine which will be open deck.

Closed decks are usually stronger since the cylinder walls are fully reinforced and can therefore take higher cylinder pressures and boost.

blockdesign.jpg
Good info thanks. Makes sense since the Giulia is more sport performance oriented than the Wrangler. But hopefully doesn't mean less reliability for the Hurricane just cuz it's open deck.
Sponsored

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Also, Alfa's turbo 4 has a closed deck design vs the Hurricane engine which will be open deck.

Closed decks are usually stronger since the cylinder walls are fully reinforced and can therefore take higher cylinder pressures and boost.
Probably means the upside of aftermarket (or MOPAR) ECU tuning will have a lower power ceiling than if engine was closed deck? Will be interesting to see what the factory boost level is.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Will be interesting to see what the factory boost level is.
Yeah, I suspect it will be well below the 280/306 of the Alfa variant, especially considering the Hurricane is to be the 'base' engine in the JL, and the Pentastart the upgrade. I suspect the tune will be more sedate in line with most common 2.0T configurations out there now that seem to sit comfortably in the 240HP/250-270lbft zone.

One of the advantages of an open deck design would be better cooling, something definitely of concern in a Wrangler which can be high-reving while not fast-moving on the trails. So it may be more reliable in a Wrangler application vs the Alfa, as long as they properly target cooling over extreme boost/tunes.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Yeah, I suspect it will be well below the 280/306 of the Alfa variant, especially considering the Hurricane is to be the 'base' engine in the JL, and the Pentastart the upgrade. I suspect the tune will be more sedate in line with most common 2.0T configurations out there now that seem to sit comfortably in the 240HP/250-270lbft zone.
240HP/250-270 lbft zone would make sense. I was always skeptical how they would make the Hurricane the "base" engine in the JL / JLU if it was gonna make the rumored 300 hp / 300 lb-ft. Those figures are higher than what the upgraded Pentastar would even output, especially that torque figure.

oubbascooba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
240HP/250-270 lbft zone would make sense. I was always skeptical how they would make the Hurricane the "base" engine in the JL / JLU if it was gonna make the rumored 300 hp / 300 lb-ft. Those figures are higher than what the upgraded Pentastar would even output, especially that torque figure.
Yeah, not sure how much higher they can get the Pentastar. It's already at 305hp/268ftlb for the 2016 Grand Cherokee

Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Yeah, not sure how much higher they can get the Pentastar. It's already at 305hp/268ftlb for the 2016 Grand Cherokee
Power curve matters though. The newest Pentastar version has 15% more torque below 3k RPM. Should be able to feel that on the 'butt dyno' especially if the JL ends up being lighter than JK.

nemesis

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranlger Unlimited (JK)
From someone whose driven the both the Pentastar and 2.8L VM Motori powered JK, I can assure you that the bottom end torque produced by the diesel makes it the superior option for both low speed crawling and for towing loads. The Pentastar is however the easier engine to live with during the week.

I'll likely be moving to the 3.0L turbo diesel if it's offered in the JL.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
can some one post he torque and hp ratings for the motors >
I am coming form the old 3.8 with a 160k on the motor. still running strong ( for a 3.8)
However It is very low on th Hp and torque rating coming form the current pentaStar motor. So I am curious as to everyones best guesses on HP and torque
so here are the columns

3.8 current 3.6 new3.6 turbo 4 diesel
hp/tq hp/tq hp/tq hp/tq hp/tq

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
3.8 202 hp @ 5200 rpm, 237 ft lb torque @ 4000rpm
3.6 285 hp @ 6400 rpm, 260 @ 4800

We'll see with the new engines.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Gosh, what changed to give 83 more hp?
The Pentastar is a newer, more modern design. The 3.8 goes back quite a bit. It is an enlarged 3.3 V6 that was designed in 1990. It is a pushrod design and wasn't really very sophisticated even when it first came out. It was about average. The 3.8 was intended from the start to be a mini-van engine, and it served well there. The 3.6 Pentastar is a superior and more efficient design, in every way. When it first came out, it made Ward's 10 best engines in the world at least once, and maybe several times. That's an Industry publication and that list is considered a distinguished honor in the automotive industry. It has developed a very good reputation. The Pentastar is a dual overhead cam engine, with variable valve timing. While it is much more powerful, it makes its power at higher rpm. I believe it is all aluminum, as well, whereas the 3.8 has a cast iron block, albiet with aluminum heads.

The new 3.6, which FCA says is really almost an entirely new engine, now has 2 stage variable valve lift, and a cooled exhaust gas recirculation system, and reworked internals for lower friction. It also supposedly has a new intake manifold. I'm sure there's more, but I'm not sure what all that might be. I'm also not sure if the Wrangler gets the new version in the 2016 Cherokee, or if it will have further improvements. Part of me hopes it has even more, but I also like the idea of it being proven in the Cherokee to get any bugs out of it that might be present from the redesign.

All told, this engine is light years ahead of the 3.8. That said, I still like the 3.8 in my JKU. It has been 100% trouble free and is running like new at 115k miles. It does ok with 4.10 axles, a 6 speed manual, and 33" tires. I'm looking forward to the 305 hp in the 3.6, especially if they lighten the weight a little on the JLU. It should be fun with the manual transmission. They said they also improved torque by 15% between 1000 and 3000rpm, so that should be very noticeable. I'm betting 19 city and 22 or 23 highway with the 6 spped. I'd bet 20 city and 23 or 24 highway with the auto and the engine start/stop feature (ESS). I know people don't like the idea of that, but I think it would be just fine, in normal street driving. I'm sure it automatically shuts off in 4wd.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase