Sponsored

New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo Engine (Hurricane) FIRST spy photos!

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Doesn't have to be one or the other. Could even be both
. The Challenger Hellcat has both an induction scoop and air extractors flanking it.

2016-Dodge-Challenger-SRT-Hellcat_01-600x320.jpg
The SRT Hellcat runs a supercharger though and S/C run notoriously hot so makes sense that car would need help with both cool air induction and hot air extraction. The Hurricane 4 for the 2018 Wrangler won't be putting down even close to that amount of power and it's turbo not supercharged so I doubt it needs both. The turbo Dart GT has air scoop only and I'm guessing that's what the Wrangler will get.
Sponsored

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
The SRT Hellcat runs a supercharger though and S/C run notoriously hot so makes sense that car would need help with both cool air induction and hot air extraction. The Hurricane 4 for the 2018 Wrangler won't be putting down even close to that amount of power and it's turbo not supercharged so I doubt it needs both. The turbo Dart GT has air scoop only and I'm guessing that's what the Wrangler will get.
Turbo 4 cylinders don't even necessarily need extra induction or extraction via the hood especially when the Wrangler has such a large grille surface area to draw air in from. I'm guessing that whatever hood bump or scoop we'll get will be functional but also for looks, which is cool by me. Look how good the Rubicon vented hood looks. :)

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I think if there is a dome or vented hood it would remain Rubicon. It's too aggressive for the Sport trim and gives them an easy way to provide more visual separation for the top level model.

Shawn Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Image wise a 4 cylinder might be a tough sell to the Wrangler crowd but technically speaking fact is that turbo-charged I-4 engines these days are trouncing NA V6 engines in low end torque, mid range power, fuel efficiency, the whole nine yards. And though nobody buys a Wrangler for top end speed, there's muscle cars like the Mustang and Camaro with turbo 4's running 12 second quarter miles with nothing but a tune.

The current Pentastar makes 260 lbs/ft of torque at peak, which is only 22hp more than the 20yr old engine it replaced, and it's gotta be completely revved out to hit peak HP. This might change with the new Pentastar coming with the JL/JLU but if it doesn't get a big power bump I predict there's going to be much more interest in the 4 cylinder turbo than the poll in the other thread is showing.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Image wise a 4 cylinder might be a tough sell to the Wrangler crowd but technically speaking fact is that turbo-charged I-4 engines these days are trouncing NA V6 engines in low end torque, mid range power, fuel efficiency, the whole nine yards. And though nobody buys a Wrangler for top end speed, there's muscle cars like the Mustang and Camaro with turbo 4's running 12 second quarter miles with nothing but a tune.

The current Pentastar makes 260 lbs/ft of torque at peak, which is only 22hp more than the 20yr old engine it replaced, and it's gotta be completely revved out to hit peak HP. This might change with the new Pentastar coming with the JL/JLU but if it doesn't get a big power bump I predict there's going to be much more interest in the 4 cylinder turbo than the poll in the other thread is showing.
I would much rather have the 4cyl Turbo over the V6 as the current Pentastar in my JKU is one of my biggest complaints about the Wrangler. Noisy, low power, and terrible fuel economy. I have owned Turbo 4cyl engine cars that had way more power then this V6 and would much rather have that power and torque. That poll is off as it only allows you to vote for your favorite engine. It would be cool to see a poll for 2nd engine choice as well.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I would much rather have the 4cyl Turbo over the V6 as the current Pentastar in my JKU is one of my biggest complaints about the Wrangler. Noisy, low power, and terrible fuel economy. I have owned Turbo 4cyl engine cars that had way more power then this V6 and would much rather have that power and torque. That poll is off as it only allows you to vote for your favorite engine. It would be cool to see a poll for 2nd engine choice as well.

Diesel IS the only choice.

For me anyway.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel IS the only choice.

For me anyway.
Same for me in all honesty. If I can't get a diesel I will be buying a different truck. But if I was 100% set on buying a JLU or JLT and I had a choice of the 4cly turbo or v6 I would go with the 4cyl turbo over the V6 every time.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Same for me in all honesty. If I can't get a diesel I will be buying a different truck. But if I was 100% set on buying a JLU or JLT and I had a choice of the 4cly turbo or v6 I would go with the 4cyl turbo over the V6 every time.
I have a 2008 WK CRD right now, which I'm not terribly happy with, but the POWER (torque) is addictive. The Mercedes 3.0 is good, but they didn't fix the little issues since Daimler no longer owns them. Additionally, it spins way too fast (3000rpm @ 70 mph) so highway MPG suffers. And don't get me started on how clunky the 5 speed auto shifts...

Now then, If they take some weight off the JLU, it'll be possibly under 3500 lbs, opposed to the WK's 5800, with 44 more ft\lbs of torque, and a smooth 8 speed! And the top will come off!

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
I don't disagree with your complaints about the engine but some of it I know is due to our extra 2 doors. Not that speed is why I bought a Wrangler but the JK is more than 1.5 secs faster than the JKU in 0-60. It's a smooth engine but defintely can feel sluggish unless you're really getting on the gas. I would consider a turbo 4 option for the same reasons as you.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
Without water-to-air intercooler this engine (or any high powered 4 cyl turbo for that matter) will suffer from major heat soak when subjected to slow speed off-roading. There's just not enough air induction to adequate cool. But seeing the secondary expansion tank looks like they're going to cool this thing properly with some WTA cooling.

Sponsored

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
So the 2018 Wrangler (JL / JLU) will be the first FCA cars to feature the all new hurricane 4 cylinder engines? If so, anyone worried about first year teething issues?

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
So the 2018 Wrangler (JL / JLU) will be the first FCA cars to feature the all new hurricane 4 cylinder engines? If so, anyone worried about first year teething issues?
Not me because we've basically already seen this engine debuted in the Alfa Giulia. Same 2.0L aluminum block+head with direct injection, making 280hp / 280 lb-ft in the Giulia. By the time the turbo 4 Wranglers start rolling off the line this engine will already have been in use for almost a year.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Any time you have direct injection, you're going to have problems. When you throw forced induction into the mix on top of that, the problems get magnified. Look at the turbo-4 used in Mini Coopers, and Ford EcoBoosts, etc. They've all had numerous issues. Coked intake valves, failed turbos, clogged oil passages, spark plugs have to be changed frequently, moisture in the intercoolers, etc. etc. It also needs supplemental vacuum source and so that's more parts and complexity you have to add.

However, this is the way the automotive world is headed, so hopefully they'll at least be wise enough to use port injection in addition to the direct injection to help keep the valves happier, and hopefully they'll specify frequent maintenance and not kill engines with extended range oil changes like BMW did with the MINI cars.
Sponsored