Sponsored

New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo Engine (Hurricane) FIRST spy photos!

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
And another report that it will be 300 HP. For the Charger I can see but surprised if they give it that much for the Wrangler. I thought this was a built for MPG engine?

JTForMe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 XK Limited
Anyone else notice the dual-batteries? I thought that was usually something seen on diesels.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else notice the dual-batteries? I thought that was usually something seen on diesels.
That's not dual batteries...

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
And another report that it will be 300 HP. For the Charger I can see but surprised if they give it that much for the Wrangler. I thought this was a built for MPG engine?
That's the beauty of turbos. I can be high power/torque and also fuel efficient. Not to mention tuned for even more power in the aftermarket. The turbo 4 model might end up being the enthusiast's choice for that reason - tuneability. What you guys think?

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I think the turbo will be better then the V6 for sure. I guess it comes down to how much power it puts out stock, but if its near the V6 an aftermarket tune will easily make up for the difference if not put it over.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I think the turbo will be better then the V6 for sure. I guess it comes down to how much power it puts out stock, but if its near the V6 an aftermarket tune will easily make up for the difference if not put it over.
With the easy gains you can get on a turbo with just tuning I can easily see a MOPAR factory tune kit in the pipeline. Best part is it would retain factory warranty.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea that would be awesome. Similar to what Ford is doing for the new Focus RS

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
With the easy gains you can get on a turbo with just tuning I can easily see a MOPAR factory tune kit in the pipeline. Best part is it would retain factory warranty.
Depends on how high strung the Hurricane engine is already tuned. Hopefully it can still take a decent amount of extra boost.

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Not a fan of this decision, though good they will still offer V6. Turbo might have more power and torque than the V6 and usually more power is good, but not for the Wrangler. For off-road use, turbos aren't ideal. Their power comes on suddenly compared to the linear power delivery of a V6. Ok for your average driving but definitely not great for rock crawling.

And... turbos generate tons of heat. Imagine all that heat building up in a short/low hood which may get submerged in water. I hope the engineers considered and accounted for all this. Definitely sounds like this engine is being offered for emissions or EPA reasons.
Some prototypes have shown a hood bump/cowl/scoop spotted underneath their camouflage so that could help prevent heat soak.

You can see it clearly here.

Jeep Wrangler JL New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo Engine (Hurricane) FIRST spy photos! {filename}

Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Some prototypes have shown a hood bump/cowl/scoop spotted underneath their camouflage so that could help prevent heat soak.

Jeep Wrangler JL New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo Engine (Hurricane) FIRST spy photos! {filename}

Definitely something under there. Question is if it's an induction scoop or an air extractor. Any educated guesses?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

First pic I have seen where the JLU looks actually quite long.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
That's one way to improve drivability on the road, increase wheelbase. I hope they left that alone though. The JKU is as long as a Wrangler ever should be IMO.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
That's one way to improve drivability on the road, increase wheelbase. I hope they left that alone though. The JKU is as long as a Wrangler ever should be IMO.
Better for drivability but bad for breakover angle. The JKU's breakover angle is already 5 degrees worse.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Definitely something under there. Question is if it's an induction scoop or an air extractor. Any educated guesses?
Doesn't have to be one or the other. Could even be both
. The Challenger Hellcat has both an induction scoop and air extractors flanking it.

Sponsored