New 2 door rubicon needs advice

ChadTx

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to order 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door
Ordered a 2 door rubicon in the middle of July. I ended up going with the 3.6 with etourque. I also went with the automatic. So here’s the dilemma I’m dealing with. I’m either going to leave it stock height and go to a 35 like the toyo at3 or I’m considering doing the mopar lift and getting the new bfg 37’s that came out that are c. They weight just under 65 lbs. I know the bfg runs small. This Jeep will be my daily and I want to take trips in it and retain all factory warranty. Do u think the bfg 37’s in c will be to much for the 3.6 and I’ll loose all pep? Should I just stick with stock ride height and go with the 35’s? What are ur thoughts?
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Well if your Rubicon needs advice you might try taking him into RCA. Rock Crawlers Anonymous.

Anyway, just FYI. My 33inch tires are 61lbs each. They're on a sport with 3.45 gears, 3.6 V6. It is fine.

However, rotational inertia is not just about weight. Radius is also part of the equation. It gets squared, so the bigger the tire the bigger the effect it'll have. So if I were you I would regear when going to 37s. Also, what do you want to achieve from bigger tires? is it just for looks or practical reasons? Only you can answer your own question depending on what you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ChadTx

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if your Rubicon needs advice you might try taking him into RCA. Rock Crawlers Anonymous.

Anyway, just FYI. My 33inch tires are 61lbs each. They're on a sport with 3.45 gears, 3.6 V6. It is fine.

However, rotational inertia is not just about weight. Radius is also part of the equation. It gets squared, so the bigger the tire the bigger the effect it'll have. So if I were you I would regear when going to 37s. Also, what do you want to achieve from bigger tires? is it just for looks or practical reasons? Only you can answer your own question depending on what you want.
I want to be able to go down any of the trails in Texas without worrying about scraping everything underneath to shreds but I also want to be comfortable getting there

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I want to be able to go down any of the trails in Texas without worrying about scraping everything underneath to shreds but I also want to be comfortable getting there
You have a 2 door, you shouldnt scrape much in texas. 35s and you will be golden. You can technically scrape with any tire size. It all depends on the lines you pick. Your 2 door on 33s can already do anything with minimal scraping if you choose your line carefully. With 35s you will have no issues at all.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

35's on a 2 door is equal to running 37's on a 4door

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
well you can still get over bigger obstacles with bigger tires when rock crawling. But yes, in terms of scraping the bottom I couldnt agree more.

OP
OP

ChadTx

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The new bfg 37’s weigh almost exactly what the 35’s do and the 37’s now come in a C. Wouldn’t it be the same thing to run those new 37’s bfg ko2’s then?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The new bfg 37’s weigh almost exactly what the 35’s do and the 37’s now come in a C. Wouldn’t it be the same thing to run those new 37’s bfg ko2’s then?
No it isnt. rotational inertia = mass*radius**2. or something like that. It is not just about the weight of the tire.

Getting a 65lbs 37 inch tire to do a full rotation is not the same as getting a 35inch tire do a full rotation. Get it?

OP
OP

ChadTx

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it isnt. rotational inertia = mass*radius**2. or something like that. It is not just about the weight of the tire.

Getting a 65lbs 37 inch tire to do a full rotation is not the same as getting a 35inch tire do a full rotation. Get it?
Kind of. Ur saying bc the 37 is physically taller it has more inertia going down the road thus putting more stress on the components of the Jeep?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Kind of. Ur saying bc the 37 is physically taller it has more inertia going down the road thus putting more stress on the components of the Jeep?
I am not an expert. but yes. and will require more stopping power. and also more power to get the jeep moving. Thats why regearing is recommended by the size of the tire and not the weight.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
The auto is very good in the JL, you shouldn’t need a regear unless not bring in 8th as much bothers you.
After going big on tires right out of the gate, I’d recommend 35’s for a while. There are a lot fewer headaches. Plus, in a 2 door, you get into needing rear control arms if you run enough lift for 37’s offroad.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I suggest you get the 35x11.5R17 Toyo AT3's and run them on stock wheels with no lift. This will give stockish ride and handling. I am running Nitto's version of that tire which is more of a mud terrain and thus noisier. I couldn't be happier with this tire on a trail/touring Jeep but I'd want something more street oriented for a daily driver. Note that I found 30 psi to be right for the street, so you'll need to get a Tazer or have the dealer change your recommended inflation pressure.

You will be amazed at where you can go with this tire. Rather than a lift, I elected to install a full set of skid plates from Mountain Off Road Enterprises and a set of LoD rocker guards.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mopar lift on my Sahara and would greatly recommend it. However, I’d say that the Jeep’s factory handling feels at its very limit with 35 inch tires.

IMO, it is not an issue about being able to fit 37 inch tires; it is more about how comfortable the factory steering, braking and gearing components will be handling the larger tires.

I wouldn’t go to 37s if you want to retain the factory ride and handling characteristics.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest you get the 35x11.5R17 Toyo AT3's and run them on stock wheels with no lift. This will give stockish ride and handling. I am running Nitto's version of that tire which is more of a mud terrain and thus noisier. I couldn't be happier with this tire on a trail/touring Jeep but I'd want something more street oriented for a daily driver. Note that I found 30 psi to be right for the street, so you'll need to get a Tazer or have the dealer change your recommended inflation pressure.

You will be amazed at where you can go with this tire. Rather than a lift, I elected to install a full set of skid plates from Mountain Off Road Enterprises and a set of LoD rocker guards.
^^^ this!

If you want to retain factory ride and handling, a narrower tire is going to make it easier due to its smaller contact patch.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
^^^ this!

If you want to retain factory ride and handling, a narrower tire is going to make it easier due to its smaller contact patch.
Plus, that is a Load Range C tire. There is a big difference in ride between that and the Load Range E 35x12.5R17. Plus, plus, you should mount 12.5's on a wider wheel which means less offset and this can lead to quicker wear and worse handling down the road.
Sponsored