Sponsored

New '18 JLU Sahara

Gadgetguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Jeep noob here. We just purchased a 2018 JLU Sahara in Punk'n for my wife Saturday. It is manual, LED, cold weather, tow, safety, Nav, Alpine, anti-spin, and soft top. She has had two Jeeps in the past but the Jeep thing is new to me. She had a hard time trading in and downsizing from her truck, a Ram 2500 Cummins with a 5" lift and 35's.

So, she wants me to start modifying it right away! I've been doing a lot of research, and I hope I'm on the right track. It will be a mall crawler, modifications are for looks (unless she lets me take it, ha!). This is what I have planned:

- 3.5" lift (haven't seen anything bigger than this available) - Rough Country with adjustable arms, track bar, coils, shocks, driveshaft.
- 17x9 wheels
- 35x12.5/17 tires - debating on 37's but think we'll stick with 35's. Mud tires look awesome but we switched out mud tires on her truck for A/T because she didn't like the M/T's in the rain. Also, need a tire that is good in the snow.
-Dual steering stabilizers
- Front and rear bumpers, powder coated, LED lights.
- Spare tire carrier
- Step/nerf bars
- Gears - still trying to figure this one out. Thinking 3.91 or 4.11.
- "Tuner" for tire/gear calibration, throttle response
- Maybe not right away, but looking at exhaust, brakes, some cargo management, and small other things.

Our observations of her new ride:
- Sensitive steering; compared to our big trucks (I drive a dually diesel), the steering is really sensitive and quick but I like being able to just whip around while driving. It's very smooth as well.
- Clutch engagement is smooth, grabs just off the floor, shifts easy and smooth.
- She has trouble reaching the pedals. This is normal for her in vehicles that do not have adjustable pedals, which, unfortunately, the Jeep does not. Will have to look into pedal extenders so she can sit comfortably away from the steering wheel.
- Lacks power; need to wind her out to keep it in the power band. Have had to downshift into fourth and even third to pass or when going up a hill. Again, we are used to massive low end power of a diesel. She has a bit of a lead foot and likes power as well. Maybe a supercharger in a few years after we recover funds from the mods above, LOL.
- The new Uconnect is a huge improvement over the old Uconnect system in her Ram. She really likes it except it appears it does not have the built in hard drive for her music.

I've put a little over 100 miles on it myself, and I'm kinda of liking it! It looks good too in orange and with the LEDs. We would like a hard top too, but had a difficult time finding one with the other options we wanted. Have to learn how to operate/remove the soft top, I haven't read the manual yet. Sorry for the long read, any suggestions on the mods are welcome.
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Jeep noob here. We just purchased a 2018 JLU Sahara in Punk'n for my wife Saturday. It is manual, LED, cold weather, tow, safety, Nav, Alpine, anti-spin, and soft top. She has had two Jeeps in the past but the Jeep thing is new to me. She had a hard time trading in and downsizing from her truck, a Ram 2500 Cummins with a 5" lift and 35's.

So, she wants me to start modifying it right away! I've been doing a lot of research, and I hope I'm on the right track. It will be a mall crawler, modifications are for looks (unless she lets me take it, ha!). This is what I have planned:

- 3.5" lift (haven't seen anything bigger than this available) - Rough Country with adjustable arms, track bar, coils, shocks, driveshaft.
- 17x9 wheels
- 35x12.5/17 tires - debating on 37's but think we'll stick with 35's. Mud tires look awesome but we switched out mud tires on her truck for A/T because she didn't like the M/T's in the rain. Also, need a tire that is good in the snow.
-Dual steering stabilizers
- Front and rear bumpers, powder coated, LED lights.
- Spare tire carrier
- Step/nerf bars
- Gears - still trying to figure this one out. Thinking 3.91 or 4.11.
- "Tuner" for tire/gear calibration, throttle response
- Maybe not right away, but looking at exhaust, brakes, some cargo management, and small other things.

Our observations of her new ride:
- Sensitive steering; compared to our big trucks (I drive a dually diesel), the steering is really sensitive and quick but I like being able to just whip around while driving. It's very smooth as well.
- Clutch engagement is smooth, grabs just off the floor, shifts easy and smooth.
- She has trouble reaching the pedals. This is normal for her in vehicles that do not have adjustable pedals, which, unfortunately, the Jeep does not. Will have to look into pedal extenders so she can sit comfortably away from the steering wheel.
- Lacks power; need to wind her out to keep it in the power band. Have had to downshift into fourth and even third to pass or when going up a hill. Again, we are used to massive low end power of a diesel. She has a bit of a lead foot and likes power as well. Maybe a supercharger in a few years after we recover funds from the mods above, LOL.
- The new Uconnect is a huge improvement over the old Uconnect system in her Ram. She really likes it except it appears it does not have the built in hard drive for her music.

I've put a little over 100 miles on it myself, and I'm kinda of liking it! It looks good too in orange and with the LEDs. We would like a hard top too, but had a difficult time finding one with the other options we wanted. Have to learn how to operate/remove the soft top, I haven't read the manual yet. Sorry for the long read, any suggestions on the mods are welcome.
You can run 35ā€ tires with a 2-2.5ā€ lift - staying at this height most donā€™t need adjustable chassis components.

If she isnā€™t happy with pick up now and you jump to a 35ā€ tire I would plan 4.88-5.13 gearsbut it all depends if you are looking for onroad get up or a better offroad experience.

All boils down to personal preference and budget - this forum is full of stuff from DIY inepensive add Ina to some pricey stuff.