New “Specialty” Jeeps

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you really stopped to analyze it, no Wrangler purchase makes sense. They are not practical, love gas, handle worse than my 1984 Chevette and aren’t the best built vehicles on the road.

I have no love for 4xe … not at all. A 392 would make me smile a lot and is that not the reason why we put up with the Wrangler’s shortcomings?
Well that kind of depends... A Wrangler makes perfect sense to me. I live at the edge of a national forest where I hunt, fish, hike, etc. Many of the "roads" are blown out badly enough a normal pickup will scrape and drag their way along. My 4 door wrangler thrives in that environment and still has enough room for my gear.

All that and it's decent on the road, 22 mpg average, incredible resale, easy to work on and I can haul the kids around in it. There aren't a whole lot of vehicles around that match that kind of practicality for me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
If the only thing available on the buffet was three bean salad, how excited would customers be? Neither the 4xe or the 392 do anything for me at all. Thankfully neither of them are forced on me.

SKTexas

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I think the 4xe is a very interesting option! If I were commuting regularly, the round trip to the office would be less than the battery range, so I'd rarely use gas! Sweet! Charging at night would be super cheap!

I also really like how consistent acceleration on an EV is. No weird behavior because it's not warmed up yet.. no funky shifting...

That said, it's not compelling enough for me to sell my JL Rubicon. If I HAD to replace it? Sure. I'd totally consider it. The pricing right now is too steep with no incentives - even though Vroom/Carvana are offering about as much as I paid for my JLUR if I sold it now, it'd cost me at least 3-5k extra to get a 4xe equivalent. That just isn't worth it.

I want to agree with the notion that simple = better.. and that's the wash! On the JL, the electronics are terrible on all models. Getting a 4xe or V6 or diesel doesn't matter, they all have the same janky mess of third party vendor electronics on a cheap wire harness with cheap connectors. It's not something new either. Chrysler TIPM is a long running meme.
You might want to consider the market right now. You would likely get more for you Rubicon right now than you paid for it (the trade-in market is bonkers right now) plus the EV credits that total, I think $9500 in CA. You could very possibly upgrade and add a model year for no additional cost. I traded a Ram 1500 in and got more than I paid 2 years ago. Bought a 4xe and love it. I have a short commute to work and right now I have about 750 miles on the Jeep after 1.5 tanks (the first tank was to get it home from the dealership.)

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Well that kind of depends... A Wrangler makes perfect sense to me. I live at the edge of a national forest where I hunt, fish, hike, etc. Many of the "roads" are blown out badly enough a normal pickup will scrape and drag their way along. My 4 door wrangler thrives in that environment and still has enough room for my gear.

All that and it's decent on the road, 22 mpg average, incredible resale, easy to work on and I can haul the kids around in it. There aren't a whole lot of vehicles around that match that kind of practicality for me.
In your case, it makes sense. Most live in areas where there are many other viable vehicles to meet their needs, many of which are more comfortable, efficient and often reliable. Few Wranglers see trails that a Honda CRV couldn’t handle if done slowly.

My overall point was that Wranglers are often passion buys when other vehicles may make more sense. The original poster spoke about the need for the 392, which is totally unnecessary for just about any buyer … but, wow, fun.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
If logic or minimal requirements were the driver for car purchases, none of us would be driving wranglers.

The 392 is only pointless when they warranty 700+. Love that mopar/fca/Stellantis/whatever isn’t as boring as most companies. And bring on the electric too.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
In your case, it makes sense. Most live in areas where there are many other viable vehicles to meet their needs, many of which are more comfortable, efficient and often reliable. Few Wranglers see trails that a Honda CRV couldn’t handle if done slowly.

My overall point was that Wranglers are often passion buys when other vehicles may make more sense. The original poster spoke about the need for the 392, which is totally unnecessary for just about any buyer … but, wow, fun.
My subdivision literally just got new chip seal on the road this week. Made me real happy I got a rubi, will tell you that.

OP
OP

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
You get mid 20s mpg on your 2.0 on combined roads?
Yes, consistently. Driving on roads includes county, two lane US highways and interstate. Engine is stock, run Rubi take off wheels and tires, regular fuel. On interstate I’m typically running 72-73 mph. I do not accelerate especially hard, but enough to stay with traffic and merge with no issues. I have never, ever, had a Jeep that would even approach this before, so I am VERY satisfied with my JL..

Sponsored

JW-UK

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D110, Foers Ibex
OP, You're not as old and new technology reluctant as you think you are.
You have one of those "speciality" 2.0 turbo engines.
Why anyone would choose that over a good old, tried and tested Pentastar V6, I don't know why. There is no need for anything else, except a V8, or a Diesel, or a supercharger...:like:

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I have hit 30mpg in my JLU 2.0 S going cross country, mostly in states where the roads are completely flat and I can cruise around 65-70mph for over 100mi. Definitely doable under certain conditions. Overall I averaged around between 25-26mpg hand calc'd over 11,525mi.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Maybe Google will help you figure out fossil fuels and their impact on the enviroment. Hint: coal is super dirty, both for carbon pollution, and has released more radioactivity to the environment than nuclear. Including Chernobyl, Three mile island, and Fukushima.
Wind is a disaster and the acres of solar panels are not the answer either. But nice try, keep trying to make me feel guilty I'm sure when I'm 80 I'll give a shit.

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'll open therapy stands in places like Moab. Specializing in range anxiety and generator rentals.
Just returned from a week in Moab; saw a Jeep sponsored Level 2 charger with a solar panel to off set some of the electrical costs. "...times, they are a changing..."
Sponsored