Sponsored

New “Specialty” Jeeps

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
It’s not needed to make the point that electric isn’t as clean and great for the environment as ppl are being sold. That’s the whole point of the image. I suppose I shouldn’t give a shit, nothing I can do about it.
I don’t get it. What are you saying?
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Well, I know I’m an old guy and not “kewl”, but frankly the new “specialty” Jeeps are something I totally fail to get. You’ve got the 4XE and the 392. Both cost more money ( a 392 a LOT more money), burn more fuel (4XE is significantly worse than the 2.0 or 3.6 when running the engine). The hybrid also adds a ton of complexity, and I’m sure your insurance agent will be your new best buddy when you insure the 392😏. I just don’t see the point of either option. Neither will do anything that a regular gasser won’t do (ok, the 392 will wear out tires faster when doing burnouts😏), neither will go places lower models won’t. The top speed of the hot rod is still only 99 mph... unless a guy is just driven to have something “different” and has a lot of money to throw away I can’t figure what the “gain” would be to owning either model. The hybrid “might” have an edge is you commute in yours daily and the total trip is under 20 miles, but you’re dragging around a lot of extra weight and a lot of electrical and mechanical complexity to get that short 20 mile “gas free” trip. My 2.0 has consistently been mid 20’s on combined roads and I can baby it and hit 30. (I don’t, but I have just to see if I could). Anyway, different strokes for different folks I guess, but both models to me look like solutions in search of a problem😳. YMMV
392 sounds cool and Jeep’s are about smiles per gallon. Don’t try to think practically when it comes to Jeeps. We have people spending thousands on radios and powered soft tops 🤷‍♂️

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I love getting to post this:

But now you're telling me I need to make a 392 version too???

Untitled Workspace (3).png
Those are some sweet Visio skills… and I thought mine looked good :LOL:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
If the 4xe was available in Punk'n Orange I would have been talking to dealers about trading my V6 JLUR on on.
I've thought about this, many many times. For the 392 as well. they're both a ton of money, and I can't get what I want. Ultimately it's not worth it for me, and once I get a few more things complete, it'll be even less worth it. Still... I think about it, and do math.

Yep. It's all about Family Man not feeling like his life is over because he got a 4-door.
I'll never understand this. Are people this fickle? I bought a 4 door because I have a family now. My kids love it. My wife tolerates it. I've done more road trips in this Jeep than my TJ's and it's way easier. Starting to plan out more wheeling trips now that COVID restrictions are relaxed, work schedule is better, and my son is old enough to ask to go along. Plus, the JLUR is more capable than both of my TJ's. Someone explain because I see this all the time and I don't get it.

Yea what I hate most about the 4xe/392 is that they even are special editions. If they just added the hybrid engine as an upgraded engine package for 3-4500, it'd be an extremely competitive upgrade even without the tax incentives.
Yes Please. To both. This would definitely sway my decision to upgrade.m

Great point. It’s amazing how those external gas Jerry cans you see on the 2.0s and V6s just don't work on the 4xes for some reason.
Someone turn them into battery packs. PROFIT$$$$$

Sponsored

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I have never gotten the average mpg advertised on the window sticker on any of my jeeps. So when I see the 4xe saying it’ll get 20 miles all electric. I kind of don’t really buy it, not saying it’s not possible but I know in the way I drive I won’t be getting those 20 miles. Not to mention when I put a lift and some big old tires. If it had a lot more range I would get one, I’d love to not pay for gas.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I don’t get it. What are you saying?
Research the impact of electric vehicles and their batteries on the environment. Hint, it’s not good for it. If you don’t understand my point, maybe Google will assist you.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What about battery disposal/recycling as these hybrid and electric vehicles become much more common?
Oh the green tree huggers will have that ALL figured out when the time comes. You know like how we bury tons of nuclear waste in disposal areas in the desert. LOL And to think Gates is backing a new nuclear power plant. What hypocrites the tree huggers are.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Oh the green tree huggers will have that ALL figured out when the time comes. You know like how we bury tons of nuclear waste in disposal areas in the desert. LOL And to think Gates is backing a new nuclear power plant. What hypocrites the tree huggers are.
You can want the benefits fuel diversity without being a tree hugger. Personally, I am tired of the US importing energy - I'd prefer it be generated 100% from domestic sources and power American jobs, instead of contributing to federal trade deficits and funding hostile foreign regimes that wish us harm. Diversity in fuel sources also makes our economy more resilient during shortages and unforeseen exogenous shocks. Do you disagree with these sentiments? If so, why?

Last edited:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

The destruction of the earth to gather the materials for the batteries and the proper disposal of said batteries also comes into play. That is a fact and not debunked.
As is the harvesting of fossil fuels, which isn’t recyclable. Overall, one is definitely a better option than the other, and it’s not fossil fuels. As I pointed out in a previous post, the battery components and chemistry are approaching 100% downcyclable, upcyclable and recyclable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Research the impact of electric vehicles and their batteries on the environment. Hint, it’s not good for it. If you don’t understand my point, maybe Google will assist you.
Maybe Google will help you figure out fossil fuels and their impact on the enviroment. Hint: coal is super dirty, both for carbon pollution, and has released more radioactivity to the environment than nuclear. Including Chernobyl, Three mile island, and Fukushima.

Last edited:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

You can want the benefits fuel diversity without being a tree hugger. Personally, I am tired of the US importing energy - I'd prefer it be generated 100% from domestic sources and power American jobs, instead of contributing to federal trade deficits and funding hostile foreign regimes that wish us harm. Diversity in fuel sources also makes our economy more resilient during shortages and unforeseen exogenous shocks. Do you disagree with these sentiments? If so, why?
Energy diversity is important. The need to get off fossil fuels as generation and transport is equally, or even greater importance. I agree, you don’t need to be a “tree hugger” to benefit, or advocate for both. I don’t get the dismissive attitude aimed at environmental stewardship here sometimes. With out it, we don’t get to enjoy wheeling in amazing areas.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I think I'll open therapy stands in places like Moab. Specializing in range anxiety and generator rentals.
Don’t forget to sell jerry cans and gasoline too.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The reality is that battery production and waste is definitely harmful for the environment, but you need to stack it up against fossil fuel environmental impacts to try to find the lesser of two evils.

But the bottom line is we can't keep closing our eyes and plugging our ears to the changing environment and our impact on it. You don't need to be part of Greenpeace to accept the fact that our industries are having a negative impact on the planet's ecosystems. We can't just keep growing at this rate and doing things the way we've always done them. Changes need to be made in a lot of areas.

Industrious and determined people will find ways to accept this change and adapt and even create opportunity through the challenges. The people who just cross their arms and stick to the same sad name-calling are just being willfully ignorant, in my opinion.
Sponsored