New “Specialty” Jeeps

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
Neither is for me (yet), but I’m glad they’re out there. Especially the electric. Like it or not, electric is the future, and it’s very good news that FCA is interested in bringing the Wrangler along. And the tech is improving rapidly. I honestly won’t be surprised if relatively soon (decade or two?) we have the ability to get a good charge via solar on the roof.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Well, I know I’m an old guy and not “kewl”, but frankly the new “specialty” Jeeps are something I totally fail to get. You’ve got the 4XE and the 392. Both cost more money ( a 392 a LOT more money), burn more fuel (4XE is significantly worse than the 2.0 or 3.6 when running the engine). The hybrid also adds a ton of complexity, and I’m sure your insurance agent will be your new best buddy when you insure the 392😏. I just don’t see the point of either option. Neither will do anything that a regular gasser won’t do (ok, the 392 will wear out tires faster when doing burnouts😏), neither will go places lower models won’t. The top speed of the hot rod is still only 99 mph... unless a guy is just driven to have something “different” and has a lot of money to throw away I can’t figure what the “gain” would be to owning either model. The hybrid “might” have an edge is you commute in yours daily and the total trip is under 20 miles, but you’re dragging around a lot of extra weight and a lot of electrical and mechanical complexity to get that short 20 mile “gas free” trip. My 2.0 has consistently been mid 20’s on combined roads and I can baby it and hit 30. (I don’t, but I have just to see if I could). Anyway, different strokes for different folks I guess, but both models to me look like solutions in search of a problem😳. YMMV
If you really stopped to analyze it, no Wrangler purchase makes sense. They are not practical, love gas, handle worse than my 1984 Chevette and aren’t the best built vehicles on the road.

I have no love for 4xe … not at all. A 392 would make me smile a lot and is that not the reason why we put up with the Wrangler’s shortcomings?

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Where is the industry in the background supplying the diesel?
It’s not needed to make the point that electric isn’t as clean and great for the environment as ppl are being sold. That’s the whole point of the image. I suppose I shouldn’t give a shit, nothing I can do about it.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
The “specialty” jeeps are built on the same chasis as our traditionals. If they sell a lot, it can bring down the cost of our parts through economy of scale.
I think the hemi’s will rip through more drivetrain parts, which will either improve their engineering or create enough demand for a “race to the bottom” for suppliers of said parts. Either way, we win.
Also, everyone that upgrades creates a new used wrangler in case something happens to mine.
In light of all that, I want to see any new editions that increase demand and production, as long as it doesn’t take away from our availability long term.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
While I would not consider buying the 392 or 4xe (mostly because I'm averse to extra weight on Jeeps for off-roading) and I'm happy with my 2.0.....

1 - There is no denying that the 392 sounds amazing and next to it my 2.0 sounds like a lawn mower.

2 - The 4xe can enable some very cool silent offroading, while my 2.0 sometimes sounds like a giant vaccum cleaner when the fan kicks into high while offroading.

So to claim there is no point to them is off-the mark. Globs of torque and amazing sound or lack of it is the point.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I think these new options are great. They might only be around for a short run, only time will tell. But they keep the brand exciting.

Personally, the 4xe isn't practical for my driving needs in its current form. The 392 is out of my financial reach. But we haven't really discussed the ecodiesel here... that's the one that really catches my eye. Hopefully they've built a quality diesel that will be around for the long run.

Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
Having a v8 Wrangler would be absolutely amazing. I would have considered it, but this is my second vehicle, and my truck ran me north of 60k. The 2.0 is perfect for my needs.

I agree, the 4xe is a work in progress. My mom has a Mercedes plug-in plus gas, and it only runs 28 miles on battery. She loves it, but just drives to her golf club And back. If they could get better mpg on the 4xe, then would have considered it when I got my 2.0.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think the 4xe is a very interesting option! If I were commuting regularly, the round trip to the office would be less than the battery range, so I'd rarely use gas! Sweet! Charging at night would be super cheap!

I also really like how consistent acceleration on an EV is. No weird behavior because it's not warmed up yet.. no funky shifting...

That said, it's not compelling enough for me to sell my JL Rubicon. If I HAD to replace it? Sure. I'd totally consider it. The pricing right now is too steep with no incentives - even though Vroom/Carvana are offering about as much as I paid for my JLUR if I sold it now, it'd cost me at least 3-5k extra to get a 4xe equivalent. That just isn't worth it.

I want to agree with the notion that simple = better.. and that's the wash! On the JL, the electronics are terrible on all models. Getting a 4xe or V6 or diesel doesn't matter, they all have the same janky mess of third party vendor electronics on a cheap wire harness with cheap connectors. It's not something new either. Chrysler TIPM is a long running meme.

Last edited:

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I love getting to post this:

But now you're telling me I need to make a 392 version too???

Untitled Workspace (3).png
This chart is hilarious, but I have an extra variable for you to consider.
So in reality, my wife is a perfect candidate for a 4xe. Short commute, no issues with plugging in, loves the bells and whistles, could pretty easily justify it financially.
But... she works for an oil and gas company. She would never hear the end of it :LOL:

She also loves her 4runner fat to much to even consider it, but it is a funny side consideration for the chart.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Yea what I hate most about the 4xe/392 is that they even are special editions. If they just added the hybrid engine as an upgraded engine package for 3-4500, it'd be an extremely competitive upgrade even without the tax incentives.
Sponsored