New “Specialty” Jeeps

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Well, I know I’m an old guy and not “kewl”, but frankly the new “specialty” Jeeps are something I totally fail to get. You’ve got the 4XE and the 392. Both cost more money ( a 392 a LOT more money), burn more fuel (4XE is significantly worse than the 2.0 or 3.6 when running the engine). The hybrid also adds a ton of complexity, and I’m sure your insurance agent will be your new best buddy when you insure the 392😏. I just don’t see the point of either option. Neither will do anything that a regular gasser won’t do (ok, the 392 will wear out tires faster when doing burnouts😏), neither will go places lower models won’t. The top speed of the hot rod is still only 99 mph... unless a guy is just driven to have something “different” and has a lot of money to throw away I can’t figure what the “gain” would be to owning either model. The hybrid “might” have an edge is you commute in yours daily and the total trip is under 20 miles, but you’re dragging around a lot of extra weight and a lot of electrical and mechanical complexity to get that short 20 mile “gas free” trip. My 2.0 has consistently been mid 20’s on combined roads and I can baby it and hit 30. (I don’t, but I have just to see if I could). Anyway, different strokes for different folks I guess, but both models to me look like solutions in search of a problem😳. YMMV
Sponsored

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Well, I know I’m an old guy...
Yep. Also, you made your post twice which I assume is related. Nevertheless, hasn't the same been said about power windows, power locks, power brakes, etc.?

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Well, I know I’m an old guy and not “kewl”, but frankly the new “specialty” Jeeps are something I totally fail to get. You’ve got the 4XE and the 392. Both cost more money ( a 392 a LOT more money), burn more fuel (4XE is significantly worse than the 2.0 or 3.6 when running the engine). The hybrid also adds a ton of complexity, and I’m sure your insurance agent will be your new best buddy when you insure the 392😏. I just don’t see the point of either option. Neither will do anything that a regular gasser won’t do (ok, the 392 will wear out tires faster when doing burnouts😏), neither will go places lower models won’t. The top speed of the hot rod is still only 99 mph... unless a guy is just driven to have something “different” and has a lot of money to throw away I can’t figure what the “gain” would be to owning either model. The hybrid “might” have an edge is you commute in yours daily and the total trip is under 20 miles, but you’re dragging around a lot of extra weight and a lot of electrical and mechanical complexity to get that short 20 mile “gas free” trip. My 2.0 has consistently been mid 20’s on combined roads and I can baby it and hit 30. (I don’t, but I have just to see if I could). Anyway, different strokes for different folks I guess, but both models to me look like solutions in search of a problem😳. YMMV

I'm an old guy too, unfortunately I never grew up. The battery power model thrills me less than the wife's special flashlight she keeps in the night stand. The 392 however, makes me feel funny inside. Kinda like those Farrah Fawcett posters we use to have.

Wearing out tires is, fun. And it also has a loud button so you can't hear the honks while texting at the light.

Now, if you want to not understand something, I'm all for not understanding that OP banner thing.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
you’re dragging around a lot of extra weight and a lot of electrical and mechanical complexity to get that short 20 mile “gas free” trip.
True. And a gasser would go almost an entire month on a single tank in those conditions. So not saving all that much.

both models to me look like solutions in search of a problem😳. YMMV
The 4XE is more like a solution in development. The problem is perfectly clear and the 4XE is a necessary step of a partial solution.

The 392 on the other hand, come on. We're all adults here. We know what problems that's a solution for.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
WOW!!!!!! 30 mpg. I never saw close to that with my 2.0 Rubi. Not saying you can't, just know I NEVER could. Not even close (too fun to spool that lil devil up).

As far as the "Specialty" Jeeps go. Kinda nice to have options. It would be really boring if everything were "homogenized".

Sam

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I don't know,

If I had the means, I'd just love the 392 as a great starting point. The sound alone makes the kid in me giggle.

If we were just looking for what we need, we could all do with a lot less of the fun things in life.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
for wheeling a battery driven vehicle makes a lot of sense. I think a lot of people fail to realize how good an electric vehicle is for wheeling obstacles. You basically have full power at any speed. You do not have to get revs up to get into powerband or have a minimum speed to keep it from stalling. need to slowly crawl over an obstacle, the electric motor will make it easier than the automatic transmission does compared to a manual.

I agree that 4xe adds a ton of complexity which is historically more likely to have failures. When electric motor tech gets to the point that long distance remote travel is plausible, I think you will see a strong shift in jeeps towards battery power. And a full electric vehicle is actually mechanically massively less complex.

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
I care nothing about MPG and never look at how much gas costs. I have to drive just like I have to eat. Both require money and I work hard to pay the premium I desire for both of those critically basic needs. I could eat ramen noodles and drive a 2.0, but there is nothing good or fun about that in my view of life. The TJ and JK I had before were great vehicles that took me everywhere I wanted to go, but neither did it fast enough. The 392 that arrives in ~2 weeks will have a thrill factor I haven't had in years. I'll also be able to quickly change lanes whenever I want to and not have to wait for a long gap to allow my (sold today) 3.8L JK to get up to speed to make the pass.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Let’s not forget that Jeep might have some real competition if the Bronco is ever anything more than a fever dream.
The speciality models (especially the 392) are definitely a shot back at Ford.

Sponsored

pcsquared

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4xe
The 4xe was enjoyable to drive, I was in the market for my next vehicle, and I never had a jeep before, so I ordered one. I liked the pickup the electric engine provided.

Indeed, longer trips are not as efficient, but that's OK since the majority of my driving is shorter distance anyways. ISO New England (the grid operator in my area) reports that power generation is 52% gas, 27% nuclear, 12% renewable, 8% hydro and 1% coal/oil/other (and I have solar at the place I'm moving to) so I don't think it's as drastic as the comic mikester's posted, but I understand the sentiment :)

Anyways, different strokes for different folks.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
at least FCA give us options, they give us what we want, and trying new things. If you don't get it or don't like it, it's fine, you wasn't their target audience anyway. at least you still have the regular basic wranglers....Insurance? if you have a clean driving record, own multiple property, and a good agent, premium is about the same.....MPG??? well, you can eat McDonald's everyday why bother eat steak? A5 Kobe steak is no good, McDonald's cheeseburger meat patty is the king....

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

This has been debunked multitudes of time. Bulk emissions control is easier, and cleaner at large sources, and generation is much more efficient overall.
Sponsored