booradley

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
so i'm a newbie here...

and I've read and read and read trying to learn from others.

but still left with this question...

I've learned that JLU sahara fenders sit lower that JLU Rubicon fenders...looks like about 2 inches...

so if i'm going with 35's on my JLU Sahara, to get the same look,

a 4 inch lift on a SAHARA would have the same impact (clearance between tires and fenders) as a 2 inch lift on a Rubicon since the rubicon fenders are about 2 inches higher than a sahara?

but I read over and over that most people are choosing the 2 inch MOPAR lift...

what am I missing?
Sponsored

TimP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler sport
Intrested in this answer as well.

My understanding is that a 2 inch lift will still allow 35's on the Sport/Sahara but I havent done it myself yet :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I was at RubiTrux last weekend and he has a set of factory Rubicon rims and tires. He said you can put them on a Sahara no problem at all, as is, doing nothing else. Saw a guy on the forum who put them on a Sport. Personally I think they will look better on a Sahara since the Sahara sits about .75" taller than sport and I believe the Rubi sits .75" taller than Sahara and it has the higher fenders giving it a much higher appearance.
In terms of looks, if you just want the look of the Rubi then I would get the Rubi fenders which sit higher (they line up with the hood edge instead of sitting below it).
If you want more ground clearance then I would do the lift. You can pick up Rubi stock suspensions on the forum pretty cheap.
Some guys take the Rubi rims and suspensions off immediately and sell them because they are going with after market. I'm thinking of picking up these rims and a stock Rubi suspension and putting in on my Sahara (OK, it's really my wife's Jeep)

upload_2018-4-3_9-19-43.jpeg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good for the Rubicon wheels and tires, but I think there might be rubbing at full articulation. A lift might do you well to avoid that if you're going to do a lot of rock crawling.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the same thing. He said it wouldn't rub but on a hard articulation I believe it will. If I put the Rubi suspension on it I should be ok, obviously Rubi fenders and I'm set.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the same thing. He said it wouldn't rub but on a hard articulation I believe it will. If I put the Rubi suspension on it I should be ok, obviously Rubi fenders and I'm set.
Buried somewhere in the forums is a picture someone posted of a Rubicon at full articulation, there was only about an inch of clearance between the factory tire and the fender, so yeah you'll get a rub on some hard trails.

My next question would be, if you're getting a Sahara, only to put Rubicon wheels tires suspension and fenders on it, why not just get a Rubicon in the first place and you'll have 4.10 axles and locking differentials?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmm... because I'm a noob... LOL. I knew this question was coming :)

This is our first Jeep and it is my wife's Jeep, went to the dealer and they had a really nice Sahara on the lot so we grabbed it. She would like it to look a little more aggressive hence the Rubi tires and possibly a Rubi suspension or small lift.

In hindsight we would have most likely ordered a Rubi or bought one at dealer. Lesson learned.

Do you know the ride comparison between a stock Sahara and Stock Rubi? The Sahara has a very nice ride and I don't want the ride to stiffen much since this is her daily driver with some off road fun now and again.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmm... because I'm a noob... LOL. I knew this question was coming :)

This is our first Jeep and it is my wife's Jeep, went to the dealer and they had a really nice Sahara on the lot so we grabbed it. She would like it to look a little more aggressive hence the Rubi tires and possibly a Rubi suspension or small lift.

In hindsight we would have most likely ordered a Rubi or bought one at dealer. Lesson learned.

Do you know the ride comparison between a stock Sahara and Stock Rubi? The Sahara has a very nice ride and I don't want the ride to stiffen much since this is her daily driver with some off road fun now and again.
Honest answer lol. Honestly I never test drove a Rubicon because they were priced too high for what I was looking for and I wasn't looking for 4.10 axles in a daily driver. If you throw the Rubicon gear on that Sahara and only use it for occasional off roading then you're perfectly fine. I actually really like the look of those wheels and don't blame you for wanting them one bit.

OP
OP

booradley

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
ok. thanks for all the replies...

I'm still not sure about the lift on a sahara...

I've decided on 35's...

so is a 2 inch lift going to be perfect (lots of recommendations for this for a Rubicon, but this is a SAHARA).

or is a 4 inch better? and better meaning better looking.

just don't want to get the 4 inch and end up with too much room between fenders and tires and it looks like a skateboard...

thanks for the help...

Gecko-JKU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko JKU

I've decided on 35's...

so is a 2 inch lift going to be perfect (lots of recommendations for this for a Rubicon, but this is a SAHARA).

just don't want to get the 4 inch and end up with too much room between fenders and tires and it looks like a skateboard...

thanks for the help...
The 2 inch lift will be fine for 35's. Because of the slightly taller springs (this may not be fact as I haven't seen a direct comparison yet) and the much higher fenders on the Rubicon, you can run 35 inch tires stock. A 2.5 inch lift on the Rubicon will allow for 37 inch tires.

Side note, rather than getting Rubicon fenders, I would hang out for a bit and enjoy the Jeep. Most of the aftermarket guys are prepping their flat fender replacements that may be more to your wifes/your preference.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
If you bought a Sahara because of the smoother ride, you might want to stick with the stock suspension. The Rubicon tires and wheels should be fine with it.

Rickg667

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 62 CJ-5, 54 m38a1, 52 m38a1c
Ok so I bought the 18 JL rubicon. I test drove a Sahara before ordering the rubicon as I wanted the stronger axel and lockers etc. the ride was very similar. Honestly there isn’t much difference. I have the 2 inch Mopar lift being installed this weekend, but kept my 37s from my jk, they were brand new... I have been driving the rubicon with no lift and 37s for a week. As long as I am not driving over curbs and parking bricks etc there hasn’t been an issue with rubbing. Even then it was minor. Right now there are not too many options for lifts other than Mopar. There is a super lift or some off brand company offering a 4inch lift. You will get what you pay for... (I have had 8 jeeps,5 lifted... you seldomly need full flex). I would be more concerned about destroying the plastic bumpers, painted fenders and cute little plastic bits on the front end that will break or get gouged even when driving down a relatively tame trail. The 2inch Mopar will work with up to 37s, you may lose some flex, you will lose mpg but it looks great. You will be fine with a 2inch lift, also take in to account the height of your wife... in my Jk I had a 4.5 AEV lift, 37s and my girl couldn’t get in, led to a whole lot of moaning and groaning... also if it is a daily driver think before you buy the 500lbs of after market bumpers... I lost 5mpg on the JK due to the extra weight. When I removed them and traded the JK in I drove it for a month with the old take offs on it. I went from 12mpg to 18mpg. There are lots of people talking about spending big bucks on mods and re-gearing and military grade stuff... most people who daily drive the vehicle will regret the extreme mods, the JL is pretty capable stock, as long as you are not going nuts on rocks or driving through 3 feet of mud you will be fine. Also keep in mind the extra wear and damage that comes from playing in the mud. Keep 5-10k in the sock drawer if you plan on occasional wheeling... you will most likely end up replacing parts that get smashed or packed with mud, it gets in to everything and causes rust and abrasion. You may also want to consider the smaller front axels on the Sahara. I wouldn’t recommend going past 35s, you will probably bend the front axel.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase

I've decided on 35's...

thanks for the help...
2" Mopar Lift with 35's

038.jpg

042.jpg

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Billet Silver , 6 speed
I was at RubiTrux last weekend and he has a set of factory Rubicon rims and tires. He said you can put them on a Sahara no problem at all, as is, doing nothing else. Saw a guy on the forum who put them on a Sport. Personally I think they will look better on a Sahara since the Sahara sits about .75" taller than sport and I believe the Rubi sits .75" taller than Sahara and it has the higher fenders giving it a much higher appearance.
In terms of looks, if you just want the look of the Rubi then I would get the Rubi fenders which sit higher (they line up with the hood edge instead of sitting below it).
If you want more ground clearance then I would do the lift. You can pick up Rubi stock suspensions on the forum pretty cheap.
Some guys take the Rubi rims and suspensions off immediately and sell them because they are going with after market. I'm thinking of picking up these rims and a stock Rubi suspension and putting in on my Sahara (OK, it's really my wife's Jeep)

upload_2018-4-3_9-19-43.jpeg
Excellent explanation!
Sponsored