Nerf Rails on a new Rubicon or No?

rrwins

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got my first ever Jeep and it's a 2019 Rubicon.

it was rock rails on em and they look great, but the wifey has trouble getting in and out of it.

So I thought the 'Nerf' steps looked perfect. I think a company named Rough Country makes 'em.
My dealer gave me a $200 discount because I made it part of my negotiation.
Total cost of install $500.

I saw some videos where they said that if you go rock climbing not only would it dent it but actually could hurt the vehicle.

i plan to do trails but have no intention of rock climbing.

Should I go through with it because i'm getting a sweet $200 discount or pass? Thank you!
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you are aware, there are a dozen other options for rock rails with integrated steps that are made to be abused.

The problem with anything advertised as a “nerf” bar or step is that it’s only function is a step. They are all body mounted and not frame mounted like the good aftermarket rock sliders are. So if you hit a rock, log, or just get high-centered at the top of a dirt mound and the weight of the Jeep comes down on the steps, one of two things will happen: the step will bend, or the step will transfer the impact up to the body where you can tweak a door or the tub of the Jeep.

Are you getting the “discount” because he is keeping the other sliders to sell on one of the sports on his lot? I would ask him to clarify that. If you could keep them and sell them yourself you could get another quick $100 for them here on this forum or Craigslist.

Good luck with the purchase.

Axlenut

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I just ordered a set of Roam steps. Body mount. I Won’t rock crawl and only drive light trails. Seemed like a good cross between a rock rail and a basic step

OP
OP

rrwins

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just so you are aware, there are a dozen other options for rock rails with integrated steps that are made to be abused.

The problem with anything advertised as a “nerf” bar or step is that it’s only function is a step. They are all body mounted and not frame mounted like the good aftermarket rock sliders are. So if you hit a rock, log, or just get high-centered at the top of a dirt mound and the weight of the Jeep comes down on the steps, one of two things will happen: the step will bend, or the step will transfer the impact up to the body where you can tweak a door or the tub of the Jeep.

Are you getting the “discount” because he is keeping the other sliders to sell on one of the sports on his lot? I would ask him to clarify that. If you could keep them and sell them yourself you could get another quick $100 for them here on this forum or Craigslist.

Good luck with the purchase.
Hey Will, thanks for the feedback. I bought the ride already. The dealer has a store next door and he said that I could buy anything from that store and he will let me use $200 towards it. I believe I get to keep the rails but will clarify. Thanks for the tip!

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
1982 called. They want their nerf rails back...
Sponsored