Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Looking for new seat covers that won’t break the bank. Good quality, etc

Was looking at Diver Down neoprene seat covers as they are only $200 for the whole set

Any one have any experience with Neoprene? Any other suggestions?
Whatever you choose, make sure they do not interfere with PPS (passenger presence sensor) for the front passenger's seat. The sensor is in the front right seat bottom cushion. And also the seat-mounted side airbags. I never understood how "aftermarket" seat covers were compatible seat mounted with side airbags.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I had the diver down ones on my ‘18 here in GA. Quality was good, but yes, they were very hot in the summer. They worked fine with heated seats. The JLs seats get hot as hell, so not much would interfere with them. They also state they do not interfere with the airbags, either.

Due to them getting very hot in the summer, I won’t be putting them on my 2021.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you choose, make sure they do not interfere with PPS (passenger presence sensor) for the front passenger's seat. The sensor is in the front right seat bottom cushion. And also the seat-mounted side airbags. I never understood how "aftermarket" seat covers were compatible seat mounted with side airbags.
In properly designed aftermarket covers, there is a "flap" on the door side of each seat back cover. This allows the airbags to properly deploy in a collision.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
In properly designed aftermarket covers, there is a "flap" on the door side of each seat back cover. This allows the airbags to properly deploy in a collision.
Thanks.

We had some sensor issues when some customers would replace their OEM fabric seat covers with aftermarket leather seat covers. Sometimes the PPS (sensors) no longer worked correctly.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

We had some sensor issues when some customers would replace their OEM fabric seat covers with aftermarket leather seat covers. Sometimes the PPS (sensors) no longer worked correctly.
You bring up a good point. There are 2 different types of seat covers. This thread has been about neoprene covers on top of the factory fabric/leather cover.

When you replace the factory cover, then you open up all kinds of potential issues.

Sponsored

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I had neoprene seat covers on an old jk. Summer in the south, those things will give you swamp crotch. I won’t have them again.
Same. Had neoprene in my JK, southern nevada summers, never again.

jackgraves7

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Love my tan smittybilt Gen 2 seat covers. Great price and love the color.

9ED446D1-82A8-4FA0-BEA3-1C0CC5750E4F.jpeg

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6SPD /20 Wrangler JL Sport (6spd) - Sold
Looking for new seat covers that won’t break the bank. Good quality, etc

Was looking at Diver Down neoprene seat covers as they are only $200 for the whole set

Any one have any experience with Neoprene? Any other suggestions?
Don't do it. I got the yellow ones to match my Wrangler last summer. Not a fan.

For one, if something is made specifically for a certain car, you'd think that they'd try to get the yellow to somewhat match the car paint. Not even close. That alone though doesn't make the product bad; they didn't mislead me, I just made a wrong assumption. The problem was that I wanted to return them and sent in for a return request; I called several times and no response. I finally received the RMA the afternoon before my return window expired, and had no chance to act on it.

They faded significantly over the course of the summer and looked like crap. Yes, neoprene fades, but this was really bad. Whenever the jeep was parked the top was on, so it's not like it sat in the sun all summer.

...and, finally, speaking of sitting...Swamp ass.

Sponsored

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6SPD /20 Wrangler JL Sport (6spd) - Sold
What if I were to just get the regular black ones? I have mojito so no matching there
Any to answer your question, the black did fade too. It's not as noticeable though.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! Do you think Vinyl is any better or worse for summer?
Depends on your summer. Vegas summers are typically 100°+, with a couple of weeks of +110°, would not do vinyl. I just put in the bestop canvas seat covers in tan, good protection and should do fine in the summer. Vinyl and neoprene would probably be fine in areas of milder summers.

OP
OP
Yolobaggins

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Depends on your summer. Vegas summers are typically 100°+, with a couple of weeks of +110°, would not do vinyl. I just put in the bestop canvas seat covers in tan, good protection and should do fine in the summer. Vinyl and neoprene would probably be fine in areas of milder summers.
I live in VA, some days over 90 for sure but not for long periods. Does the UV protection spray help?
Sponsored