Sponsored

Need Your Help!! JL 4dr: 3.5” Sport ST3 Falcon SP2 3.1

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased your "JL 4dr: 3.5” Sport ST3 Suspension System & Falcon SP2 3.1 Piggyback" and have had a plaguing noise since install. The sound is a creaking noise coming from some where in the suspension, when braking or suspension flex. I contacted Teraflex support after discovering the aluminum spacers that are put in place for the Front Control Arm Sport Brackets, were to short. Despite torquing to spec, they with were still loose and moved side to side. New spacers were sent out (thank you) reinstalled and were finally tight. But despite this the creaking noise remained, although it did not happen as often. I have rechecked all torque specs and gone over the entire install, but I can not figure out this noise.

Im curious if anyone else who has this installed is having the same issue.
Sponsored

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
I purchased your "JL 4dr: 3.5” Sport ST3 Suspension System & Falcon SP2 3.1 Piggyback" and have had a plaguing noise since install. The sound is a creaking noise coming from some where in the suspension, when braking or suspension flex. I contacted Teraflex support after discovering the aluminum spacers that are put in place for the Front Control Arm Sport Brackets, were to short. Despite torquing to spec, they with were still loose and moved side to side. New spacers were sent out (thank you) reinstalled and were finally tight. But despite this the creaking noise remained, although it did not happen as often. I have rechecked all torque specs and gone over the entire install, but I can not figure out this noise.

Im curious if anyone else who has this installed is having the same issue.

I haven't heard of this issue before. I would call the customer service number (801.713.3314) and let them know what is going on. They are very knowledgeable and can get you all dialed in!

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the same lift with their 3.3 shocks and do not have the same noise. I would check the torque on all control arms and trac bars. The factory control arm bushings are designed to by pinched when torqued down, so there is no movement between the metal sleeve and bolt. The rubber bushing inside is what flexes. When you installed the lift did you loosen all of the control arms and and torque all of them down when the Jeep is on the ground? That was something I almost missed when I installed my lift.

Also this is unrelated to the noise, but did you use their track bar brackets or install an adjustable track bar? I was not aware of bump steer (which happens when the track bar is not aligned with the drag link) when I installed the lift, so now I will be losing the bracket up front for an adjustable track bar.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
I installed the same lift with their 3.3 shocks and do not have the same noise. I would check the torque on all control arms and trac bars. The factory control arm bushings are designed to by pinched when torqued down, so there is no movement between the metal sleeve and bolt. The rubber bushing inside is what flexes. When you installed the lift did you loosen all of the control arms and and torque all of them down when the Jeep is on the ground? That was something I almost missed when I installed my lift.

Also this is unrelated to the noise, but did you use their track bar brackets or install an adjustable track bar? I was not aware of bump steer (which happens when the track bar is not aligned with the drag link) when I installed the lift, so now I will be losing the bracket up front for an adjustable track bar.

If you are going to use the Teraflex Alpine IR adjustable track bar, You will want to use that along with the track bar bracket to keep the steering geometry and to avoid bump steer.

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sadly I called customer service and did not feel like I was taken seriously at all. Basically was told “that’s just what happens when you lift and modify a vehicle.” I totally understand that explaining a noise to someone who has never heard it nor do they have the vehicle in front of them and asking them to diagnose the problem it’s absurd.

I’m just hoping that someone might have an idea on something to check.

Sponsored

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to use the Teraflex Alpine IR adjustable track bar, You will want to use that along with the track bar bracket to keep the steering geometry and to avoid bump steer.
Thanks, I am currently experiencing bump steer with the brackets installed and a stock track bar. By upgrading to a different track bar and not changing the angle’s would this still solve my bump steer problems? It sounds like that is the proper way to keep the roll center of the Jeep as close to stock as possible is to do brackets and a flipped drag link. Has anyone ran into clearance issues with setups like this? I am concerned of the drag link hitting the frame in the front.

I love TeraFlex but will have to be going with a different track bar because I also would like to run Synergy’s sector shaft brace and I have read that they weren’t compatible.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Thanks, I am currently experiencing bump steer with the brackets installed and a stock track bar. By upgrading to a different track bar and not changing the angle’s would this still solve my bump steer problems? It sounds like that is the proper way to keep the roll center of the Jeep as close to stock as possible is to do brackets and a flipped drag link. Has anyone ran into clearance issues with setups like this? I am concerned of the drag link hitting the frame in the front.

I love TeraFlex but will have to be going with a different track bar because I also would like to run Synergy’s sector shaft brace and I have read that they weren’t compatible.

Pm sent

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Sadly I called customer service and did not feel like I was taken seriously at all. Basically was told “that’s just what happens when you lift and modify a vehicle.” I totally understand that explaining a noise to someone who has never heard it nor do they have the vehicle in front of them and asking them to diagnose the problem it’s absurd.

I’m just hoping that someone might have an idea on something to check.

I would definitely re-torque all of your mounting hardware. it sound like they could not be torques properly. and if you do have any further issues I would definitely recommend you calling in. that doesn't sound like a response any one of us would give. we all would be happy to help you out and get you taken care of!

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t have thought so either but that’s the response I got none the less. If you want to PM your extension I would gladly speak with someone else. Makes me wish I would have got the guys name. I’m positive that all the control arms are torqued to spec, but if possible can I get all the torque specs from you. I’ll definitely give it another check. I just want the noise gone. To the point I’m ready to get the alpine control arms and ditch the bracket all together.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
I wouldn’t have thought so either but that’s the response I got none the less. If you want to PM your extension I would gladly speak with someone else. Makes me wish I would have got the guys name. I’m positive that all the control arms are torqued to spec, but if possible can I get all the torque specs from you. I’ll definitely give it another check. I just want the noise gone. To the point I’m ready to get the alpine control arms and ditch the bracket all together.

Here is a link to our downloadable instructions. These will have all the recommended torque specs that you would need. Please, let me know if there is anything further i can assist with, I would be happy to help.

https://teraflex.com/file/attachments/5db9e05a8ea8c100800087d0.pdf
Sponsored