Sponsored

Need trail suggestions for a family vacation (Grand Canyon/Moab)

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I will be making my first trip out West this July and would like to take my Jeep off-road. This will be on our family vacation, so I am not looking for anything difficult. I would just like to get off the paved roads and see some views that require little hiking since I assume it will be hot.

I’ll be coming from Kentucky and plan to go through Albuquerque, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Moab, Denver, and then back home.
Sponsored

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Sahara JLU
Occupation
retired
Not sure which route you are taking, but if I40 is your route, I heard from the irv2 forums the bridge over the Mississippi is closed until further notice. Discovered totally cracked support beam. I will likely change my route somehow as I planned to boondock at Bass Pro right beside the bridge.... not now unless things change b4 trip.

OP
OP
jdhunt0

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Not sure which route you are taking, but if I40 is your route, I heard from the irv2 forums the bridge over the Mississippi is closed until further notice. Discovered totally cracked support beam. I will likely change my route somehow as I planned to boondock at Bass Pro right beside the bridge.... not now unless things change b4 trip.
I'll be crossing the river north of there in Cairo.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Planning a trip next year and have spent the better part of 3 months researching, so far I have exactly one FIRM overland trail picked. YouTube is a great place, I also use trailsofftoad.com and the book by Charles Wells. One really cool trail I’d love to do but will not (due to snow / timing) is the Rimrocker from Colorado to Moab. Another trail you may consider is Shafer / Potash. So many options! One thing for sure, July will be hot!

Sponsored

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
Read though this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...a-“trails-for-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/

page 8, post 117 has a spreadsheet.

Remember:
1. people have varying opinions concerning "easy" and "difficult" roads/trails.
2. I am sure you have done research, but weather in the mountains and desert can be extreme, whether it is the temperature or storms.
3. Tread Lightly
4. Enjoy, Gemini Bridges was like driving on the Moon, and then Mars. Breath taking scenery. A lot different than Red River Gorge/

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I will be making my first trip out West this July and would like to take my Jeep off-road. This will be on our family vacation, so I am not looking for anything difficult. I would just like to get off the paved roads and see some views that require little hiking since I assume it will be hot.

I’ll be coming from Kentucky and plan to go through Albuquerque, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Moab, Denver, and then back home.
Could get an easy Badge Of Honor Trail when going on I-40 at Flagstaff, then down to Schnebly Hill Rd, then through Sedona, and back up to Flagstaff to continue to the Grand Canyon.
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/85-schnebly-hill-road

In Las Vegas Rocky Gap Road is a good one, and you can turn back if you don't want to go through the Rock Garden. You can just go through Red Rock Canyon which is awesome for cool hiking trails and one end of the trail is in the Park, so you can go that direction and turn back if you feel it's getting too rough.
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/979-rocky-gappotato-ridge-road

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My recommendation is Not to spend much time at the Grand Canyon. Hit the south rim road and head east. stop at the overlooks and have lunch half way through then continue on to Moab. once you get to Moab and hit those trails, you may wish you skipped the GC and spent more time in Utah, But i do understand that you have to see the GC once.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdhunt0

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
My recommendation is Not to spend much time at the Grand Canyon. Hit the south rim road and head east. stop at the overlooks and have lunch half way through then continue on to Moab. once you get to Moab and hit those trails, you may wish you skipped the GC and spent more time in Utah, But i do understand that you have to see the GC once.
I have flown over it a few times but never stopped to see it. I have a full day planned for visiting the grand canyon right now. You think that's too much time?

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have flown over it a few times but never stopped to see it. I have a full day planned for visiting the grand canyon right now. You think that's too much time?
I think it all depends on where you are staying and what your road trip schedule looks like. we would travel from Vegas and stop in Williams AZ. Stay at the Red Garter and have dinner at Cruisers. In the morning we would drive up to the canyon and swing right along the south rim and hit the overlooks. First time is very awe inspiring. We continued out the east end and continued on to Moab. There is so much to see out there and so little time. I do think that an entire day may be too much but for a first time visit, it may be just right. If you are driving straight from Vegas to the GC and stopping to see the Hoover Dam, the Dam Gift shop and grabbing a bite at the Dam snack bar then leaving the Dam parking lot on to the GC then a full day would be just right.

OP
OP
jdhunt0

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I am coming from the East, so GC, Hoover, LV, then going back north east toward Moab.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am coming from the East, so GC, Hoover, LV, then going back north east toward Moab.
Your gonna have a great time. go with what you planned. and adjust for future trips. Off Road trails in Moab for something scenic and simple would be Schaffer and potash, Long Canyon and onion creek. 4H all the way. If you have kids with you then you can find dino track and bones on Mill creek which you will need your jeep and a great hike along the trail. , Dino tracks on willow springs rd where your jeep will be handy and dino tracks at copper canyon which requires a nice short hike.

OP
OP
jdhunt0

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Route will look something like this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need trail suggestions for a family vacation (Grand Canyon/Moab) Capture.JPG
Sponsored