Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My OCD tells me that I need to wax my new JLUR while it’s still factory clean
Is there anything applied over the clear coat at the factory that says I should wait for a few months before applying any type of wax?
After washing is there any special cleaner necessary before the first waxing?
Any one have any experience with any of the ceramic coatings available?
Are they worth the cost?
How long do they last?
What’s the procedure for top coating over them in the future?
For the last 10 years or so I have been using ICE by Turtle Wax on my vehicles a 2-3 of times a year and they always looked good
Any reason to change?
Need your thoughts
Sponsored

GraffiX

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Sport S
Check out autogeek.com, lots of info there. Ceramic is the way to go, it's a bit pricey but it lasts the longest.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
I’m no “body and paint” guy, but it was told to me that the clear coat takes 2-3 months to cure and not to wax it.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I’m no “body and paint” guy, but it was told to me that the clear coat takes 2-3 months to cure and not to wax it.
Yes, years ago you would hear what you were saying. Apparently, the automotive paint process, the paints, etc. have come along so much that it is not really necessary to wait for the paint/clearcoat to "cure" these days. Of course, now we're using stuff other then "wax" even.

Sponsored

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I think i'm with Nate on that. Gonna wait a while.

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I've done the ceramic paint sealant on a couple vehicles (much cheaper to do it yourself). Light years ahead of wax. I would wait the 2-3 months and get sun exposure for the clear coat to cure. For right now, wash it with "lots" of micro cloths and do short sections and move to the next one (come in 15X15" square at Wally for cheap). By this I mean start high and do a 1X1' section. Get a second one and move down till you've used up the micro towels. What you are doing is avoiding "the fine scratches" from a dirty wash cloth. By that I mean the swirl seen from circular motions that are really abrasions in the clear coat. Don't throw the microfibril cloths away, just get in the habit of one-use and in the washing machine. Save for later.

I used this CarPro product. ...you don't need much more it's powerful stuff. The 30 ml. CQuartz is enough to coat a standard size car. Apply very thin and evenly. This coat you apply is really thin, you are filling in microabrasions with nano particles. I know it sounds "spacey" but it works! One year later water still beads on my Mustang...

get it at:

CarPro Cquartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection 30 ml.

Last edited:

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Yes, years ago you would hear what you were saying. Apparently, the automotive paint process, the paints, etc. have come along so much that it is not really necessary to wait for the paint/clearcoat to "cure" these days. Of course, now we're using stuff other then "wax" even.
I doubt clear coat has progressed/changed that much since last October when I had my tins painted.

This guy he also says the same.... wait 90 days

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@Nate .. Don't get me wrong.. I'm still going on the wait and let it cure theory. I was just saying many say that there is no longer a need to wait. Yes, your guy in the video says wait but others say don't bother to wait.

I know many that recommend that you clay bar a vehicle the day you get it home. To get out iron particles that get pushed into the finish during transport on truck or train..

Anyway, you hear lots of ideas and ways to proceed.

It's a Jeep. I wait a couple of weeks and then wax it with Mequiar's Carnuba Wax and be done with it. Six months later I repeat and so on.

Last edited:

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my drill.

Before anything, use the clay. After that step I use an ultra-fine compound (I recommend Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish). If you had swirl marks I would go with the M105 instead). How do you apply.... with a random orbit polisher (not the cheapie circular only one). Before applying sealant I go over the finish with a 1/2 strength rubbing alcohol to get all residue off from the M205. This also removes any remaining environmental contaminants. Follow the instructions with the sealant *lots of brands...but I use the CarPro Cquartz above. Small areas at a time, wipe off with their prescribed pad within 5 min (buffing motion, but by hand). If you have some left in the bottle you can do a second coat within a 1 hour window. Let cure in the sun. Takes about 2-3 days (no washing or driving in the rain) for the sealant to cure.

There's an early application (another CarPro product called ReLoad) that you can use if rain is possible. I also use ReFresh like you would a "spray wax" ... more as a maintenance (I use routinely every 1-3 months like you would a wax). It keeps the sealant from wearing down. I use the SEALANT every year, no need to use hard wax. You can use conventional spray detailer if you want, but ReLoad is pretty simple. Leaves a shine without much hassle. ReLoad is a bit more expensive tho.

https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

Keep your vehicle clean. Hand wash using the microfiber cloths in my earlier note. Never use a rotary "rag washer" at a drive thru. It is OK to use a power washer, but again soak with soap good and don't grind sand or dirt with a wash sponge.

I swear by this approach! You will not be disappointed. If you MUD your jeep - no - but if you want to keep it clean and nice... this is the way it works for me. My Ford Mustang is 5 years old and I get asked all the time if it new!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Synthetic clay, Maquiers Ultimate. Great and easy combo!
20180318_153802.jpg
20180318_153814.jpg
20180318_190147.jpg

Jeep007

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am going to be applying carpro hydro2 when mine arrives. Great protection and easy to use.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I wouldnt wait it doesn't need to cure. Better to get protection on the paint before you get any imperfections. I got mine ceramic coated within first two weeks.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I just use plain old turtle wax twice a year, once in early spring, once in mid fall. The super slick feeling lasts nearly all summer/ winter.

I haven’t asked with my JL, or my last Challenger (since both were built months before delivery), but I had a 2011 camaro that rolled off the line and into my driveway within literally a week. I was told by both the dealer, and a family member who owns a large auto/ body company, not to wash it for 30 days, or wax it for 60.

I had someone open a door into it the first week I had it (so paint was only 2 weeks old), and it pulled the paint back all the way to bare metal. Now.....that may have been because the silver paint on that year of camaro was notoriously soft....but it only being two weeks out of the paint booth probably didn’t help at all.
Sponsored