Sponsored

Need to replace Windshield. Would you do OEM glass or aftermarket glass?

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hi,

Unfortunately, I need to replace the windshield on my 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4 door (no lane assist). I've reached out to 4 places and the pricing is about the same. The OEM glass is just over $500 installed (+taxes) and the aftermarket glass is just over $300 installed (+taxes). 2 of the installers have indicated that the only difference is the jeep logo...that the aftermarket glass is just as good. Can anyone here speak to that? Does that sound about right? Thanks :)

I'm paying out of pocket, not going through my insurance.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Having replaced a few (currently 2 JLUā€™s and a JK), the odds are good that if you try aftermarket it wonā€™t be on there forever anyway. Maybe itā€™s worth trying an aftermarket. That said, after 55k miles on my Sahara, Iā€™ve only got a chip on the passenger edge thatā€™s not even visible and itā€™s been that way for 1.5 yrs.

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
Insurance replaced my windshield for the $250 deductible. I have Advanced Safety. They could not find the cheap replacement glass with the Advanced Safety shape so they did the replacement with OEM glass at no extra cost. Discussed replacing it with Gorilla Glass, which would have been very expensive. The glass company, recommended by the Jeep dealership and very highly rated, said they had seen nothing to demonstrate that Gorilla Glass was any stronger than the OEM (or replacement glass).

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think the aftermarket glass has been better than OEM. Have taken multiple stone hits and not broke. Plus, you can customize the jeep easter egg with a custom one. I have a Bigfoot chasing mine, but there are many different types.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have an aftermarket PGW brand. I had it installed about a year ago. $179 out the door at a local shop. Looks good.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Consider... while your glass is new, applying Racing Optics to your windshield. I went through 3 windshields last year and found their site and ordered and applied. It's called tear away which is a clear 3 layer laminate that protects from chips and cracks. Every 6 months you tear away the outer layer revealing a new one beneath. I peeled mine after a year because it held up so well and I'm in New England (snow salt and sand) had no affect on it. Just a thought to consider ...I highly recommend them, because they are such a great business and the owner Chris is by far one of the nicest guys to deal with. Customer service is top notch! I have no horse in the race other than I really love the product and it has worked as promised.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
There are three types of glass:
1. OEM, exact same as what your Jeep got at the factory.
2. OEM Spec - meets the specifications of OEM factory glass, but made by different glass manufacture.
3. After Market Glass - could be better or worse than OEM.

Iā€™ve had good luck with OEM Spec glass.
Sponsored