Sponsored

Need that old blue/gray Rhino color - Paint vs Wrap?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The more I shop, the more I think I'm not going to be happy unless I can get a Jeep in that sweet, beautiful Rhino color.

Unfortunately, they discontinued it in '16, and if I want Android Auto without having to go aftermarket, I'm basically stuck.

So.....what about a full repaint? I've also heard that vinyl wraps can be better. Cost vs look/feel?

Anyone done either? Am I crazy?
Sponsored

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Sahara JLU
Occupation
retired
Just done my 21 JLUR in the new 3m wrap. Chose it because I have my 18 wrapped and it saved me a lot of scratches. Body looks new after a number of trail hits. In 18 3m was good for 5 years, now its good for 10. However if I had the $$ I would do Rhino. When I picked up my 21, seen a Rhino at the dealer and it looked awesome. Definitely would never have to worry about scratches.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Just done my 21 JLUR in the new 3m wrap. Chose it because I have my 18 wrapped and it saved me a lot of scratches. Body looks new after a number of trail hits. In 18 3m was good for 5 years, now its good for 10. However if I had the $$ I would do Rhino. When I picked up my 21, seen a Rhino at the dealer and it looked awesome. Definitely would never have to worry about scratches.
Sorry, I think my thread title wasn't clear - not looking at Rhino Liner. In 2015/2016, FCA offered a blue/grey paint color that was called "Rhino". Wondering if it would be better/cheaper to get a whole paint job vs just doing a wrap.

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I was referring to a Rhino paint job that I seen on the dealers custom. Looked nice for real. It might could be seen on Lake Norman Jeep website. I was a gladiator.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I've done both. Wrapped my old Jeep then tore it all off and painted it.

You really can't go wrong with a wrap. Lots of benefits. I did it all myself so the added cost of labor wasn't involved. It was rewarding.

The cost of painting anything today is absolutely stupid. If it were me... I'd buy a black Jeep and just paint the outside the color you want. Would save the big hassle.

The wrap is a legit option if you can find something close you like. Would save on scratches like mentioned before. And if you tear up a panel just replace it.

Could also plastidip it should you find a color you like.

Tough choice.

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Sorry, I think my thread title wasn't clear - not looking at Rhino Liner. In 2015/2016, FCA offered a blue/grey paint color that was called "Rhino". Wondering if it would be better/cheaper to get a whole paint job vs just doing a wrap.
Are you sure it's Rhino you want and not Anvil? Rhino started in 16 and was there until the end of the JK run, and had almost no blue. Anvil was discontinued for 2016 and was much more blue than rhino..

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Nope not sure... just looked nice and it was rough surface like a truck bed liner. Details might be on dealer website.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Are you sure it's Rhino you want and not Anvil? Rhino started in 16 and was there until the end of the JK run, and had almost no blue. Anvil was discontinued for 2016 and was much more blue than rhino..
They're definitely similar, but it's Rhino that I want. I've been shopping quite a bit online, seeing Rhino was around from 2016 all the way through 2018 (the first year of JL, I believe?).

It's actually a big pain to search for - you basically have to select blue and grey as the exterior colors on the search filters and then manually scroll through, lol.

I had the same issue when I was shopping for my current truck - it's a similar color that GM called "Stealth Grey Metallic" but it's more of a steel blue (imo). GM has a similar color today that they call "Dark Sky Metallic".

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
They're definitely similar, but it's Rhino that I want. I've been shopping quite a bit online, seeing Rhino was around from 2016 all the way through 2018 (the first year of JL, I believe?).

It's actually a big pain to search for - you basically have to select blue and grey as the exterior colors on the search filters and then manually scroll through, lol.

I had the same issue when I was shopping for my current truck - it's a similar color that GM called "Stealth Grey Metallic" but it's more of a steel blue (imo). GM has a similar color today that they call "Dark Sky Metallic".
Buy black and dip it the color you want. There are a few places that will sell you custom colors. Cheaper than paint, easier than vinyl, and possible to DIY.
Sponsored