Sponsored

Need Sunshade. Go with Alien/Spider or cheapo eBay version?

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I went with the Rugged Ridge one, I only wanted it black, and the RR one is a full shade and $69
Front is held on by a Velcro strip, wasn't too thrilled about that, but it turned out not to be a problem.
I undo the Velcro and it gives it enough slack to get the soft top back on.

ohh and the RR one is straps, not the bungee, it fits nice and tight, can't beat it if you just want a black one for cheap.

I actually like it so much, I may have something printed onto it if possible

stays on with my soft top on
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Just wanted to jump in here and comment on this.

@JAY commented in your other thread about not censoring anything. The thread is locked so I wasn't able to comment there. I certainly don't think that would be fair to censor feedback about a product just because someone is a forum sponsor. We are always open to and welcome both positive and negative feedback. We definitely prefer positive though!:like:

I sent you a PM to better understand the fitment issue you're experiencing and to find out if I can help remedy it and provide any support.

With that said, I'm 6'1" and I don't have any clearance issues with our shades. But then again, everyone is different and has a different tolerance of what is acceptable and not - which for the record is totally fine. Everyone will have a slightly different expectation, seating position, amount of hair:CWL:, etc, etc which will contribute to them either loving or disliking the product.

I'm a Jeep owner like most other members on this forum and my aim is to provide a high quality product for Jeep owners and to provide a high level of personalized customer service. I'm always here to help at the end of the day.

Any questions, you can PM me or mention us in a comment and I'll see it.

Andrew:like:

Andrew

My only issue is the two piece sits low in the opening which really lowers the headroom, while it is still functional it does create a more confining feeling since it is just a few inches above eye level. The hat example was just to put into perspective how far above the head it is. It would also be nice to look up and not have the mesh right in your face. These are not criticism of the product just my personal observations and my interactions with it, others I am sure may feel differently. However had I read a review like mine I likely would not have ordered the two piece. The quality appears very good the value is good, maybe it is just me but the location is distracting, now I know what Shaqu feels like driving.

I would advise you to include instructions, the video is great for the front but there is nothing regarding the back piece installation (which bungee goes where). There should be printed instructions. One other piece of advice I struggled getting the front clips in and simply took out the 4 windshield bolts and that made the install way easier and faster, that should be the 1st recommendation verses blindly fussing with feeling your way around to set the clips, maybe it was just my Fred Flintstone fingers....

Again thank you for responding

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
Andrew

My only issue is the two piece sits low in the opening which really lowers the headroom, while it is still functional it does create a more confining feeling since it is just a few inches above eye level. The hat example was just to put into perspective how far above the head it is. It would also be nice to look up and not have the mesh right in your face. These are not criticism of the product just my personal observations and my interactions with it, others I am sure may feel differently. However had I read a review like mine I likely would not have ordered the two piece. The quality appears very good the value is good, maybe it is just me but the location is distracting, now I know what Shaqu feels like driving.

I would advise you to include instructions, the video is great for the front but there is nothing regarding the back piece installation (which bungee goes where). There should be printed instructions. One other piece of advice I struggled getting the front clips in and simply took out the 4 windshield bolts and that made the install way easier and faster, that should be the 1st recommendation verses blindly fussing with feeling your way around to set the clips, maybe it was just my Fred Flintstone fingers....

Again thank you for responding
It's all good! I appreciate the response and insights.

As for instructions, you definitely should have received some. I sincerely apologize that you didn't. If you had reached out to me or our customer service team, we would have provided a digital version to help out with the installation.

I'm personally working on a 2-piece and rear JLU shade installation video since I've been told the front and full length ones I made have been helpful to other Jeepers.

The clips can be tricky and it helps to have smaller fingers. hahah @ Fred Flintstone fingers. Definitely a great suggestion to propose the different ways to install the front t-bar bungees by using the windshield bolts. I'll definitely add this to our instructions and video since it's nice to have different options.

Thanks,
Andrew

Vann_DK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Wrangler 2 Door
So an update on my experience so far. I commented this past weekend on my amazon cheapo sun shade. Im guessing due to heat, the bungees are bending/warping my trim near the windshield. I don't know if it is because I installed it wrong (there were no directions, I had to rely on amazon comments) or if its a flawed design, but at this time, Im of the opinion that alien shade knows whats up by having those little clips.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So an update on my experience so far. I commented this past weekend on my amazon cheapo sun shade. Im guessing due to heat, the bungees are bending/warping my trim near the windshield. I don't know if it is because I installed it wrong (there were no directions, I had to rely on amazon comments) or if its a flawed design, but at this time, Im of the opinion that alien shade knows whats up by having those little clips.
Their front clips were very well thought out

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have the Spiderweb shade on my JLR and I’m very happy with it. The install did require tilting the windshield forward, but that wasn’t a big deal (hubby held it while I clipped the cords on). It doesn’t flap or otherwise make noise. We had the same shade on our JKUR and it held up very well after a few summers.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
I bought and installed the Alien front only for a 4 boor, it was easy and a great fit and look. I believe that you get what you pay for.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I mentioned earlier the head room issue I personally have (others may not) anyway I was asked for a picture of the headroom with the two piece Alien shade. As you can see below it is only about 2" above my head and that hat is touching my scalp. Again this may not bother others maybe it is just me but with being so close to really see out you have to almost look straight up looking forward I do not get much of an open feeling with the mesh in my forward view at all times. Note my seat was at the lowest position, I am 6' (maybe 5'11" now that I am near shrinking age). I will say the quality of the Alien top is very good I was just dissapointed in the fit and will be removing it most likely. It is a non issue for my wife at 5'2"

Alien%20clearance_zpsjkpik7yv.jpg

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I mentioned earlier the head room issue I personally have (others may not) anyway I was asked for a picture of the headroom with the two piece Alien shade. As you can see below it is only about 2" above my head and that hat is touching my scalp. Again this may not bother others maybe it is just me but with being so close to really see out you have to almost look straight up looking forward I do not get much of an open feeling with the mesh in my forward view at all times. Note my seat was at the lowest position, I am 6' (maybe 5'11" now that I am near shrinking age). I will say the quality of the Alien top is very good I was just dissapointed in the fit and will be removing it most likely. It is a non issue for my wife at 5'2"

The mesh used in that top looks like very low density(large spaces between threads). Plus looking at the amount of sun on your hand and hat it doesn't look like that sun shade provides much shade from the sun. The JtopsUSA sun shade I have in the Dense Titanium blocks 90% of the sun. There standard colors block 80%.
20190420_152347.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner

I am 6’2 and have the front Alien., no problems with or without hat, it is tightly pulled and saves your head from getting burnt, my young son actually said he wants one and is about 1” taller

Dewey7015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door, hardtop, 6 speed.
Am I understanding this? Jtops bikini top for a 2 door is double the money than the Alien?
Sponsored