Sponsored

Need Sunshade. Go with Alien/Spider or cheapo eBay version?

Vann_DK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Wrangler 2 Door
I ordered this one from Amazon and installed it today.
Voodanala Sun Shade

Didn't come with directions but commentors did the job. Seems pretty solid and did not required lowering the windshield or anything. Just had to secure some bungees. Half the price of alien. Still able to lower and secure my soft top with it on.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I ordered this one from Amazon and installed it today.
Voodanala Sun Shade

Didn't come with directions but commentors did the job. Seems pretty solid and did not required lowering the windshield or anything. Just had to secure some bungees. Half the price of alien. Still able to lower and secure my soft top with it on.
@Vann_DK

The Alien Sunshade for the 2dr JL can be had for $64.99. You paid $43.99 for the Voodanala.

You saved only, $21.00 but had to go out and buy... spend more on bungees. 8-(

I would have just purchased the Alien.

Alien, comes with bungees and Alien Sunshade, is known to have top notch product / guarantee / backing.. and Alien is a forum Sponsor.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
After looking at the jtopsusa, I really like the "no gap" feature, and no need to lower windshield.
You would be surprised at the glare and "flicker effect" that gaps can cause in bright Sun.
Good information and comparisons, thanks !

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I am not happy with the Alien 2 piece, it is recessed in the opening leaving only 2" of headroom.

Vann_DK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Wrangler 2 Door
@Vann_DK

The Alien Sunshade for the 2dr JL can be had for $64.99. You paid $43.99 for the Voodanala.

You saved only, $21.00 but had to go out and buy... spend more on bungees. 8-(

I would have just purchased the Alien.

Alien, comes with bungees and Alien Sunshade, is known to have top notch product / guarantee / backing.. and Alien is a forum Sponsor.
My bad, bungees came with it. I meant to imply the install was simple, no tools etc...
Wasn't aware of the forum sponsor stuff. In my research Alien was 75$. As the OP said, budget options. This was that. If it craps out on me though, I will go with Alien next time.

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I am not happy with the Alien 2 piece, it is recessed in the opening leaving only 2" of headroom.
Uh oh... I'm going to be receiving my order for a two piece this Wednesday. I'm 6'2" and sit pretty upright. Are you saying it's really low?

Any photos from folks?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Uh oh... I'm going to be receiving my order for a two piece this Wednesday. I'm 6'2" and sit pretty upright. Are you saying it's really low?

Any photos from folks?
Yes it sits in the opening close to the height of the roll bar, I tried to adjust bungees, but still hangs very low, while it is doable it is just distracting being so close to your head and always in your upper peripheral, whereas the full shades sit on top giving you a couple more inches, maybe I am being picky but it is confining where you lose some of that open air feeling.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Yes it sits in the opening close to the height of the roll bar, I tried to adjust bungees, but still hangs very low, while it is doable it is just distracting being so close to your head and always in your upper peripheral, whereas the full shades sit on top giving you a couple more inches, maybe I am being picky but it is confining where you lose some of that open air feeling.
I hadn't considered that. Guess we'll see if we like it. Thanks.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hadn't considered that. Guess we'll see if we like it. Thanks.
@Darter02

Lots of taller guys have the Alien Sunshade and have no issues with it. Yes, a few complain the Alien sits close to their head.

So, don't panic. ;)

By the way, I'm 6' tall and have plenty of head room. I'm glad I went with the Alien Sunshade as it is a very good offering and not as pricey as the other's. Also, with the Alien, less chance of paint damage due to scuffing..

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@Darter02

Lots of taller guys have the Alien Sunshade and have no issues with it. Yes, a few complain the Alien sits close to their head.

So, don't panic. ;)

By the way, I'm 6' tall and have plenty of head room. I'm glad I went with the Alien Sunshade as it is a very good offering and not as pricey as the other's. Also, with the Alien, less chance of paint damage due to scuffing..

My headroom was 2.5" (my wife measured) for many I am sure that is fine, I just did not get that open feeling, that is my review I am sure others are just fine with it. As for paint damage from the full shade, I beg to differ as the bungees on the two piece will definitely show wear damage from the bungees, that is just the compromise you make to have any of these sunscreens. The quality of the Alien shade appears good and the price very fair compared to others just not a great fit for me...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@lightsout
Most like myself have to tame down what we say about forum sponsors offerings. You can say very little negative or repercussions will follow in short order. With that said. :lipssealed: on further comment by me.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@lightsout
Most like myself have to tame down what we say about forum sponsors offerings. You can say very little negative or repercussions will follow in short order. With that said. :lipssealed: on further comment by me.
Seriously we have to ignore or falsify opinions about forum sponsors products or we will be punished or retaliated against, I assume you must be a moderator? regardless a forum is a place for discussion and opinions, so you are saying discussion about a product and how it fits and if you have an opinion of how you may dislike it is not allowed without retaliation, that is absurd... I have written many reviews here mostly positive with few exception, as well I have read countless reviews both good and bad about forum sponsors products, isn't that one of the objectives of these forums to provide non bias opinions.

You are clearly saying unless you sugar coat any non flattering opinion you should not post!!!

If this forum is CENSORING or encouraging Censoring the members should be made aware.

for those that want to know what this is about read my post above

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seriously we have to ignore or falsify opinions about forum sponsors products or we will be punished or retaliated against, I assume you must be a moderator? regardless a forum is a place for discussion and opinions, so you are saying discussion about a product and how it fits and if you have an opinion of how you may dislike it is not allowed without retaliation, that is absurd... I have written many reviews here mostly positive with few exception, as well I have read countless reviews both good and bad about forum sponsors products, isn't that one of the objectives of these forums to provide non bias opinions.

You are clearly saying unless you sugar coat any non flattering opinion you should not post!!!

If this forum is CENSORING or encouraging Censoring the members should be made aware.

@lightsout

Whoa.... no way, am I a Forum Moderator or anyone other then just some knucklehead like you spewing on this forum.

You sure read a lot in to my post.

Do know though that I, again I, do not comment much... keep it down to a dull roar, in posting in a negative fashion, in regard to a sponsor's products.....especially, products that I am not a fanboy of. Again, I do not. There are other's here as me and that also tame things down.. YOU do as you please.. ;)

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com

Just wanted to jump in here and comment on this.

@JAY commented in your other thread about not censoring anything. The thread is locked so I wasn't able to comment there. I certainly don't think that would be fair to censor feedback about a product just because someone is a forum sponsor. We are always open to and welcome both positive and negative feedback. We definitely prefer positive though!:like:

I sent you a PM to better understand the fitment issue you're experiencing and to find out if I can help remedy it and provide any support.

With that said, I'm 6'1" and I don't have any clearance issues with our shades. But then again, everyone is different and has a different tolerance of what is acceptable and not - which for the record is totally fine. Everyone will have a slightly different expectation, seating position, amount of hair:CWL:, etc, etc which will contribute to them either loving or disliking the product.

I'm a Jeep owner like most other members on this forum and my aim is to provide a high quality product for Jeep owners and to provide a high level of personalized customer service. I'm always here to help at the end of the day.

Any questions, you can PM me or mention us in a comment and I'll see it.

Andrew:like:
Sponsored