Sponsored

Need Sunshade. Go with Alien/Spider or cheapo eBay version?

rrwins

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
On a 4dr, would you recommend a single shade all the way or just the front, or front and back split?
  • Spiderwebshade - Amazon - 1 complete pc covering front and back - ($199)
or
  • Alien Sunshade - Amazon - 2 pc ($110)
or
  • American flag - front pc only from eBay for ($33)

I love the fact that eBay has the cheapest price and has a customized look instead of a solid color, but don't know if it's true UV protection or well made.

Please share your experience.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We did the two piece alien sunshade. Can’t speak to the quality of the eBay one but the AS is great. Used it last week while wheeling and only needed sunscreen on our arms from the door.

Brett

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
From looking into this myself, I will go with the Alien brand. Theirs is the only one that I have seen so far that doesn't require you to drop the windshield to install.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
From looking into this myself, I will go with the Alien brand. Theirs is the only one that I have seen so far that doesn't require you to drop the windshield to install.
The windshield is pretty easy to drop and only takes a couple minutes.

@rrwins -
Here is an install article for the JL Spiderwebshade I wrote last year: SPIDERWEBSHADE for the JL!

Their mounting method is pretty slick too, makes it really easy to install and take off and NO DRILLING needed. It fits under the hardtop, so no real reason to take it off unless you need to get in there to clean.

We installed it on our Customer Service mgr. Meg's Sahara. She loves it and is running topless with just the shade whenever the sun is shining.

SunShade_Fini.jpg

Last edited:

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I went with the JTops www.jtopsusa.com 1 piece. No gap at the roll bar or windshield. Doesn't require you to drop the Windshield. They have installation videos on the website. The installation video also has a drive going 85mph to show it doesn't flap at highway speeds because it uses straps and buckles that don't stretch like the bungee cord versions. There are foam pads under the straps and buckles to protect the paint. You can also leave it on with the hard or soft tops.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
We had the Spiderweb shade on our JKUR and it was fantastic. I ordered one as soon as I ordered my JLR. I'm getting my JL this weekend and I'll report after I put it on.

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (2018), Honda Pilot Touring (2010), Ford C-Max SEL (2013)
I went with the JTops www.jtopsusa.com 1 piece. No gap at the roll bar or windshield. Doesn't require you to drop the Windshield. They have installation videos on the website. The installation video also has a drive going 85mph to show it doesn't flap at highway speeds because it uses straps and buckles that don't stretch like the bungee cord versions. There are foam pads under the straps and buckles to protect the paint. You can also leave it on with the hard or soft tops.
Thanks for this link, @Greg H. Their mesh top looks very well made! Not sure how long those buckles will last but I like that there is no gaps and bungee elasticity issues. They also say on their website that the straps/buckles get free replacement in case they break so...may be worth the price? What's your experience with respect to noise level when driving at freeway speed?

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Thanks for this link, @Greg H. Their mesh top looks very well made! Not sure how long those buckles will last but I like that there is no gaps and bungee elasticity issues. They also say on their website that the straps/buckles get free replacement in case they break so...may be worth the price? What's your experience with respect to noise level when driving at freeway speed?
There is no noise from the top. Just the normal tire and wind noise you have without a top. The top doesn't flap or vibrate at all. I broke one of the buckles by pushing the lever the wrong way when I installed it. I contacted them and asked what it would cost for a replacement since It was my fault it broke. They said no charge because it's a no fault warranty. The mailed me two replacements for free just so I'd have a spare if I ever needed it.

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I went with the Alien Sunshade, 2 piece. I had both in, but currently only running the back shade -- this keeps the sun off my 9-year old while my wife and I can soak up some much-needed Vitamin D up here in Northern Illinois. Once we get into the thick of summer, the front shade may go back on, but it's nice to have the flexibility.

(as I type this we're expecting 4" of snow tomorrow....ugh)

Edit: I forgot to mention how great Alien customer service has been. When I removed the front shade, I was less-than-careful and managed to bend a few of the clips to the point that I wouldn't have trusted them when I put the shade back on later. I emailed them and, no questions asked, no hassle, they sent me replacement clips. I couldn't be happier with the purchase!

Sponsored

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
I went with the Alien Sunshade, 2 piece. I had both in, but currently only running the back shade -- this keeps the sun off my 9-year old while my wife and I can soak up some much-needed Vitamin D up here in Northern Illinois. Once we get into the thick of summer, the front shade may go back on, but it's nice to have the flexibility.

(as I type this we're expecting 4" of snow tomorrow....ugh)

Edit: I forgot to mention how great Alien customer service has been. When I removed the front shade, I was less-than-careful and managed to bend a few of the clips to the point that I wouldn't have trusted them when I put the shade back on later. I emailed them and, no questions asked, no hassle, they sent me replacement clips. I couldn't be happier with the purchase!
Really appreciate the kind words! We treat our customers how we would like to be treated. It's as simple as that.

But MORE SNOW? SERIOUSLY!?!

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to post up or send me a direct message. I check in on the forum quite often.:LOL:

Have a great Jeepend everyone.

PS if anyone is interested, here are the installation videos I put together for both the front half and full length shades. 2-piece video is coming soon too!

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
On a 4dr, would you recommend a single shade all the way or just the front, or front and back split?
  • Spiderwebshade - Amazon - 1 complete pc covering front and back - ($199)
or
  • Alien Sunshade - Amazon - 2 pc ($110)
or
  • American flag - front pc only from eBay for ($33)

I love the fact that eBay has the cheapest price and has a customized look instead of a solid color, but don't know if it's true UV protection or well made.

Please share your experience.
I went with the Jtops top as well. It's the most expensive for a reason. Has a rod overhead built in to keep it from flapping and paint protection around the straps built in. I've heard the other shades will last a year or so before they fade. I didn't want any gaps or listen to the top flapping in the wind.

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
I have their top and drive on the interstate frequently. No flapping of the top and I'm very happy with the thickness of the material and thought that went into the snap buckles and paint protection.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
The windshield is pretty easy to drop and only takes a couple minutes.

@rrwins -
Here is an install article for the JL Spiderwebshade I wrote last year: SPIDERWEBSHADE for the JL!

Their mounting method is pretty slick too, makes it really easy to install and take off and NO DRILLING needed. It fits under the hardtop, so no real reason to take it off unless you need to get in there to clean.

We installed it on our Customer Service mgr. Meg's Sahara. She loves it and is running topless with just the shade whenever the sun is shining.

SunShade_Fini.jpg

does the AS fit under a bestop sunrider?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy