MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I've a disability and discovered today that I need assistance in getting my spare tire onto the carrier. I need a solution for the trail.

I've read a few amusing threads on this problem on other forums with lots of smart-ass and quite creative remarks which is fun to read but doesn't solve my problem. My goal is to be as self sufficient as I can.

I found a combo bumper-carrier-tire-lift-winch mount product at Olympic 4x4 that would do the trick. Expensive but it gives me a winch mount and rear recovery bumper so solves a couple problems at once. Doesn't look like its available for the JL yet but might be worth contacting them.

http://www.olympic4x4products.com/J...ectional-Tire-Swing-for-Jeep-Wrangler-JK.html

Anyone seen any alternative solutions?

Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I think it will be a little while before there are any solutions like that for the JL. I'm waiting on a spare mount/bumper to hold my heavy 37's/Wheels while still retaining the backup camera.

I know it won't help, but I rarely put the spare on the back if needed on the trail(Hardest part for me alone.)
I usually move things around the trunk area and toss it in there until I have someone that can help me out. The 130lb+ wheel/tire combo is a pain in the ass to get that high and align with the studs at the same time.

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On the farm we use to use a sling on a jackall to help with equipment tires but that was when "stupid and ignorant" was more or less a required skill on a farm.

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread and not for the trail, but I thought I would share what I made and it worked great to get the spare on the carrier when doing a 5 tire rotation. I owned a steel Harbor freight jack and also the cross beam they sell which allows me to lift one side of my Jeep at once, then I built a v shaped wood platform that overlaps the beam at the bottom and also adds 6 inches of height. It works great. I just lift the tire into the platform (about 8 inches), balance it with one hand and jack with the other until I get it to the right height, then just roll it right in. I hope this helps someone.

0D68AE22-E782-4414-94C1-134760D78063.jpeg

658CCC48-5701-4FA3-A72B-3A43E53B7F8D.jpeg

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a 2dr. with rear seat removed. I’ll slide my 37” spare onto the cargo floor( where lounge chair is) under this rasied platform. I am in process of lifting and 37’s on back order.
JL interior rear.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread and not for the trail, but I thought I would share what I made and it worked great to get the spare on the carrier when doing a 5 tire rotation. I owned a steel Harbor freight jack and also the cross beam they sell which allows me to lift one side of my Jeep at once, then I built a v shaped wood platform that overlaps the beam at the bottom and also adds 6 inches of height. It works great. I just lift the tire into the platform (about 8 inches), balance it with one hand and jack with the other until I get it to the right height, then just roll it right in. I hope this helps someone.

0D68AE22-E782-4414-94C1-134760D78063.jpeg

658CCC48-5701-4FA3-A72B-3A43E53B7F8D.jpeg
I like it! I was working on something similar using my motorcycle lift

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2dr. with rear seat removed. I’ll slide my 37” spare onto the cargo floor( where lounge chair is) under this rasied platform. I am in process of lifting and 37’s on back order.
JL interior rear.jpg
Sunhat hanger is a great accessory :)

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
JL interior rear.jpg
You have an odd looking interior, why is the top part of it beige ? and the dash top panel as well.
Sponsored