Need some advise for shock selection

fefe2018

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
I have a Sahara, currently Teraflex 1.5” spacer kit installed with rubicon suspension. It is 2” spacer lift in the front, and 1.5” in the rear. I am thinking upgrade my shocks to Rancho RS9000XL. Should I get the 0-1.5” shocks or 2-3.5” shocks? 0-1.5” shock compress and extended specs are almost same like the rubicon shock. I kinda want to choose the 2-3.5” one since it gives me room to upgrade, but will it work for my current set up ? Thanks for helping
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Problem with getting oversized shocks and you can do damage when they compress more than they should and can also allow a coil to become loose.

For your situation, most aftermarket companies rate things off a rubicon so the 0-1.5” would work for you. However, I think you’d be fine getting the next size up and just be careful

Brett

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The longer shocks will work. If you flex it out offroad you are more likely to damage your drive shaft with the longer shocks however.

OP
OP
fefe2018

fefe2018

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Problem with getting oversized shocks and you can do damage when they compress more than they should and can also allow a coil to become loose.

For your situation, most aftermarket companies rate things off a rubicon so the 0-1.5” would work for you. However, I think you’d be fine getting the next size up and just be careful

Brett
Thanks , I will I go for size up

OP
OP
fefe2018

fefe2018

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
The longer shocks will work. If you flex it out offroad you are more likely to damage your drive shaft with the longer shocks however.
I don’t think I will go off road often. I just feel like my current setup it’s kinda stiff for me. Being able to adjust the stiffness is nice

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Good question. I have been mulling that over too. I have a 2018 JLUR with a 2 1/2" RC spacer lift and shock extensions. I also added Rubicon Express LCA's in extended length. The RC kit has extended bump stops. Love the look, break over angle and ride. My "after" caster angle worked out to be almost exactly 5 degrees, which I am very happy with.
I would like to go with some longer shocks to eliminate the shock extensions and smooth out the ride. I am fully aware that the spacer lift does not add flex off-road, but I'm not that kind of offroader either. I fall more in the category of "You still need to drive home" category. I get out to Moab, Anza-Borrego and points West from northern Wi, so lots of roadwork is involved. I also pull a teardrop trailer everywhere I go.
All of that being said, I'd like to put on some shocks that:
1. Get rid of the shock extensions.
2. Make the "roadwork" a bit smoother.
3. Do NOT add too much length so as to unload the springs at full droop, causing the associated problems.
I have been mulling over a few options such as the:
1. Rancho rs5000
2. Rancho rs9000
3. Fox shocks that come with the Mopar lift kit.
Now, to determine the best (open/extended) length. I think that with my 2 1/2" lift, I might be needing a shock with a 2" over stock length. That should keep the springs from unseating at full droop. Any thoughts?

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I threw some ROAM rock rails on my stock JL Rubi yesterday, and Thursday I am scheduled to install Icon Rebound wheels and 35inch Toyo MT tires. Until then, I just don't know what height (if any) I will need to add for the look I want. As soon as I see it though, I will know and I will be ready for shocks.
With all that said, I have decided to go with custom valved Fox from Accutune. I am convinced these guys know their stuff and can come closest to the ride I want. If I end up lifting 1.5 inches, they have a package of four Fox Resi shocks they will custom tune and sell for about $1000. If I like it at stock height, I have to buy a front pair and then two single rear shocks (no package available). For Fox Resi front and back, non adjustable for a non lifted JL, I think around $1400. Add a few more hundred if you want adjustable resi on the back. Lastly, for custom valved Fox mono tube, I think that goes for around $650. In the other direction you can jump up to King Resi adjustable for more money than my wife will even let me type :).
So, lots of options and regardless of budget I think they can provide a ride you are looking for from street tune to hard core off road.
I will give my thoughts once I get actual time with whatever I eventually choose.

OP
OP
fefe2018

fefe2018

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Good question. I have been mulling that over too. I have a 2018 JLUR with a 2 1/2" RC spacer lift and shock extensions. I also added Rubicon Express LCA's in extended length. The RC kit has extended bump stops. Love the look, break over angle and ride. My "after" caster angle worked out to be almost exactly 5 degrees, which I am very happy with.
I would like to go with some longer shocks to eliminate the shock extensions and smooth out the ride. I am fully aware that the spacer lift does not add flex off-road, but I'm not that kind of offroader either. I fall more in the category of "You still need to drive home" category. I get out to Moab, Anza-Borrego and points West from northern Wi, so lots of roadwork is involved. I also pull a teardrop trailer everywhere I go.
All of that being said, I'd like to put on some shocks that:
1. Get rid of the shock extensions.
2. Make the "roadwork" a bit smoother.
3. Do NOT add too much length so as to unload the springs at full droop, causing the associated problems.
I have been mulling over a few options such as the:
1. Rancho rs5000
2. Rancho rs9000
3. Fox shocks that come with the Mopar lift kit.
Now, to determine the best (open/extended) length. I think that with my 2 1/2" lift, I might be needing a shock with a 2" over stock length. That should keep the springs from unseating at full droop. Any thoughts?
thanks for the input. I am on the same boat, I just want to make that ride a bit smoother, my wife complains about the ride now. I was thinking about fox or Falcon shocks since they are high quality, but I just don’t wanna take the risk and have the same stiff ride. Rancho RS9000 is adjustable and has limited lifetimes warranty.

OP
OP
fefe2018

fefe2018

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
I threw some ROAM rock rails on my stock JL Rubi yesterday, and Thursday I am scheduled to install Icon Rebound wheels and 35inch Toyo MT tires. Until then, I just don't know what height (if any) I will need to add for the look I want. As soon as I see it though, I will know and I will be ready for shocks.
With all that said, I have decided to go with custom valved Fox from Accutune. I am convinced these guys know their stuff and can come closest to the ride I want. If I end up lifting 1.5 inches, they have a package of four Fox Resi shocks they will custom tune and sell for about $1000. If I like it at stock height, I have to buy a front pair and then two single rear shocks (no package available). For Fox Resi front and back, non adjustable for a non lifted JL, I think around $1400. Add a few more hundred if you want adjustable resi on the back. Lastly, for custom valved Fox mono tube, I think that goes for around $650. In the other direction you can jump up to King Resi adjustable for more money than my wife will even let me type :).
So, lots of options and regardless of budget I think they can provide a ride you are looking for from street tune to hard core off road.
I will give my thoughts once I get actual time with whatever I eventually choose.
For sure , I will go for fox Resi adjustable or King if money it’s not the issue just trying to find something affordable now.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
thanks for the input. I am on the same boat, I just want to make that ride a bit smoother, my wife complains about the ride now. I was thinking about fox or Falcon shocks since they are high quality, but I just don’t wanna take the risk and have the same stiff ride. Rancho RS9000 is adjustable and has limited lifetimes warranty.
If she's already complaining about the ride I would avoid the Falcons.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah... I'm strongly leaning in the rancho direction. Either the 5000 or 9000's. Good price point. Now if I can just get the eye to eye length sorted out. I suppose I should pry off a front and rear stocker and measure them at full droop.
Sponsored