Need some advice re setting up new 2021 Rubicon for being towed

steveandjiljeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Hi Folks, first post. We recently upgraded our 2015 Wrangler sport 2 dr (which we loved) to a 4dr Rubicon (which we so far love.) We towed the sport behind a small diesel Class C (Winnebago View) for 6 years using a blue ox tow plate. We also had a DEMCO stay-in-play Duo brake controller which performed flawlessly. We are going up to a large diesel pusher with air brakes and suspension, so will also upgrade to an AirForce 1.

My questions are really about what to do to the jeep. I will say we have no plans to modify the jeep suspension in any way. My wife leans away from the tow plate option as it lowers ground clearance (a bit) and makes a winch if we decide to get one very difficult. That seems to leave us with a replacement bumper from Rockhard or LOD. so:

1)What is the general consensus - should we avoid a towplate? If we do go with a new bumper, is there a strong preference for steel or aluminum? We enjoy some off roading, but we are not going to be doing massive amounts in crazy situations. (Back-country of capital reef was the scariest we ever did in sport.)

2) Should anyone who does any off-roading have a winch as a basic safety feature, or is this overkill for modest users.

3) Can a winch be added later, or do you have to take these aftermarket bumpers off to do that?

4) How important are the LOD tie in brackets - to be honest, we towed the sport with a towplate which is less stable a configuration that the aftermarket bumpers with tow brackets tie in bracket or not (there is a point at which things become overkill. Also if they are crucial, can you use them with the rock hard product?

Sorry for all the questions on first post, but hoping for the general wisdom.

Steve
Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I went Rockhard 2 years ago and love it. ZERO issues. This is my 4th toad in 20 years. 2nd tow bar, I replace them after 100k miles of towing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need some advice re setting up new 2021 Rubicon for being towed IMG_2438

OP
OP

steveandjiljeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Thanks Brad. I like the looks of your bumper. Is is aluminum and did you get those LOD tie in brackets?

Steve

I went Rockhard 2 years ago and love it. ZERO issues. This is my 4th toad in 20 years. 2nd tow bar, I replace them after 100k miles of towing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need some advice re setting up new 2021 Rubicon for being towed IMG_2438

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
It is aluminum and I love it. No tie in. They weren't available 2 years ago and I don't feel I need them.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have an LOD steel front bumper and the frame tie in brackets. You get a much stronger mounting solution with those brackets and IMO they are well worth the money spent. I prefer this set up over the tow plate which is much lower when installed.

The LOD bumpers are winch capable, they have two different series a Signature and Destroyer. The Signature series the winch is recessed like in Steve's picture above and I believe in the Destroyer series the winch is on top of the bumper. A winch can be added after installation of the bumper but it is more difficult.

From what I have been able to research only Rockhard and LOD are rated for Flat Tow and both have very good reviews. The tow bar mounting is a little different between the two and LOD sells tow bar adapters for RoadMaster and other tow bars.

Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I'm just now setting up my JL to tow behind my motorhome. I went with the Maximus tow loops over the base plate. I've used Demco as well as Blue Ox base plates on former toads and both were excellent. I just decided to try something different. Frankly I really like the look. They look like they belong there vs. the look of the baseplate. We also have no plans for going off road.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need some advice re setting up new 2021 Rubicon for being towed Maximus 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Need some advice re setting up new 2021 Rubicon for being towed Maximus 2
I also did the Mopar wiring.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also went with Mopar wiring for the lights. I was lazy and let the dealership install it. Works great.

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I'm just now setting up my JL to tow behind my motorhome. I went with the Maximus tow loops over the base plate. <snip>
Another vote for the Maximus Tow Loops.
Once I get some warmer weather here I've a pair to install on the JT.
I like the idea of minimal modification to the toad.

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Another vote for Maximus 3 tow loops. I have 6000 miles on them since install and they are perfect. I also installed cooltech wire harness, and rvi battery charger.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need some advice re setting up new 2021 Rubicon for being towed 20200912_192014

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I used the Maximus 3 tow loops this time (past JK installs I used the Blue Ox base plate). Easy install with even minimal mechanical skills and a few tools.

With the diesel I really like the Air Force one supplimental brake system. Had the coach side of the system installed by dealer when we bought the coach. I installed the Jeep side of the system myself. Besides the instructions you will be able to find multiple U-TUBE videos to help you. Only real challenge was figuring out how to tap into the Jeep vacuum line. It's anything but straight and if you follow their instructions implicitly you'll have an 8 to 10" section to splice in. I ended up adding a loop of tubing that allowed me to tap into the Jeep line only cutting out about 3".

I used the Cooltec light harness. I had a big problem with the MOPAR price on theirs plus much less routing involved (MOPAR almost three times the cost).

All works well. While our seasonal travels were severely shortened by Covid we still managed to tow it 3,000 miles, no issues.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hi Folks, first post. We recently upgraded our 2015 Wrangler sport 2 dr (which we loved) to a 4dr Rubicon (which we so far love.) We towed the sport behind a small diesel Class C (Winnebago View) for 6 years using a blue ox tow plate. We also had a DEMCO stay-in-play Duo brake controller which performed flawlessly. We are going up to a large diesel pusher with air brakes and suspension, so will also upgrade to an AirForce 1.

My questions are really about what to do to the jeep. I will say we have no plans to modify the jeep suspension in any way. My wife leans away from the tow plate option as it lowers ground clearance (a bit) and makes a winch if we decide to get one very difficult. That seems to leave us with a replacement bumper from Rockhard or LOD. so:

1)What is the general consensus - should we avoid a towplate? If we do go with a new bumper, is there a strong preference for steel or aluminum? We enjoy some off roading, but we are not going to be doing massive amounts in crazy situations. (Back-country of capital reef was the scariest we ever did in sport.)

2) Should anyone who does any off-roading have a winch as a basic safety feature, or is this overkill for modest users.

3) Can a winch be added later, or do you have to take these aftermarket bumpers off to do that?

4) How important are the LOD tie in brackets - to be honest, we towed the sport with a towplate which is less stable a configuration that the aftermarket bumpers with tow brackets tie in bracket or not (there is a point at which things become overkill. Also if they are crucial, can you use them with the rock hard product?

Sorry for all the questions on first post, but hoping for the general wisdom.

Steve
Hi Steve,

The mounting locations you can see in this LOD instruction sheet:

https://lodoffroad.com/assets/pdfs/JFT1801.pdf

The concern is that entire end of frame plate can be torn off if a weld fails; and this is where the 4 bolts where bumpers mount.

The frame brackets add 2 additional bolts in a sheer loading per side through the frame rails. This transfers the pulling force from the front end frame plate to further down the frame rail.

You can also use the LOD frame tie in's with other bumpers, and likely the RockHard would be compatible.

You can also install two sets - one on each side of the frame rails; but they do both share the same 2 sheer loaded bolts.

Also make sure to go with USA made grade 8 bolts - most bumpers come with crappy grade 5 china bolts - as that will also drastically improve the safety (but not from the weld failure point above).

Good luck!

How did you like your View? We are about to order a 2021 Navion.....

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Maximus tow loops here also. But, haven't actually used them to flat tow yet. May be selling the RV and instead going with a second home. But the loops make for a great place for shackles so no big deal either way.

JeepTank.JPG

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I also installed cooltech wire harness, and rvi battery charger.
I was going to use the CoolTech light system, but decided to go with wireless taillights instead: I didn't want to chop into the Jeep's wiring harness.
As for the battery charger, you can simply run a wire from the 7-pin 12V contact to the battery on the toad, through a 15A circuit breaker, and let the RV's charging system keep the toad's battery charged: no need for anything else.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
As for the battery charger, you can simply run a wire from the 7-pin 12V contact to the battery on the toad, through a 15A circuit breaker, and let the RV's charging system keep the toad's battery charged: no need for anything else.
That is not advisable. First during overnight stops, your rv could drain the jeep. Secondly, your battery will always be charging and this could cause issues. Your rv alternator would always be inline, and getting extra workload unnecessary.

Modern equipment needs modern charging solutions.

You own a jeep. You own an rv. Why start pinching pennies now?

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
To maintain the battery while towing, an RVI toad charger. Super easy install, won't overcharge or affect coach battery. I've used it on multiple vehicles now.

Cutting into the Jeep harness does sound scary but it's pretty straight forward and if you test each line before cutting and after splicing in the corresponding Cooltec harness lines as you go along its hard to go wrong.
Sponsored