John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I am trying to diagnose a noise (2019 JLUR 2" Rancho Sport Lift w/9000xl shocks and 27k miles on it), I know it's hard to figure out what it is without hearing it. But any advice on where to start. During rain or when in a high humid climate and Only upon acceleration from a stop I am getting a creaking/knocking noise from what sounds like the the wheel areas (not 100% sure though). there is no sound as the suspension does it work on the road or even when you manually move it up and down. I have crawled under, and pushed the vehicle back and forth while in park only movement sound is the drive shaft rotating a bit when the vehicle was rocked. I have no luck on recreating the sound. I am thinking the brakes are sticking when wet. Could this be a possibility? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. I am at the dealer for the steering box installation :like:.They're going to take a look however I would love to be able to point them in a better direction.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I am trying to diagnose a noise (2019 JLUR 2" Rancho Sport Lift w/9000xl shocks and 27k miles on it), I know it's hard to figure out what it is without hearing it. But any advice on where to start. During rain or when in a high humid climate and Only upon acceleration from a stop I am getting a creaking/knocking noise from what sounds like the the wheel areas (not 100% sure though). there is no sound as the suspension does it work on the road or even when you manually move it up and down. I have crawled under, and pushed the vehicle back and forth while in park only movement sound is the drive shaft rotating a bit when the vehicle was rocked. I have no luck on recreating the sound. I am thinking the brakes are sticking when wet. Could this be a possibility? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. I am at the dealer for the steering box installation :like:.They're going to take a look however I would love to be able to point them in a better direction.
I've had strange noises too, when I switched to a Rubicon takeoff suspension. It came from the back end, so that narrowed thing down. I had to crawl under and find which bolt/nut was loose. This took care of my mystery noise.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Yup, put a torque wrench to all the suspension fasteners. You can shake stuff by hand, but that will not tell you that something that should be torqued to say 150 pounds is actually at say 75 pounds.

I always put a torque wrench to suspension fasteners on the Jeep prior to taking long wheeling trips. It also gives me the opportunity to give the Jeep a thorough look at for potential problems that are easier to address in the driveway than on the trail.

OP
OP
Jabarsetti

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I've had strange noises too, when I switched to a Rubicon takeoff suspension. It came from the back end, so that narrowed thing down. I had to crawl under and find which bolt/nut was loose. This took care of my mystery noise.
Yeah, I've done that a coupe times, crazy thing is it only happens when it's wet out. My plans are to crawl under it tomorrow morning and give it a once over... again.

OP
OP
Jabarsetti

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Nice rainy afternoon here in CO and sure enough it was filled with a creaky drive, I got under the rear of the Jeep this evening, and the driver side LCA was loose. I don't understand I've put the torque wrench to them about 1 month ago? is this something I need to regularly inspect? Thanks for the advice, I'm glad that they never checked them at the dealer because I would have been embarrassed for such a simple overlook. I still don't understand why the sound was only present when wet and during acceleration. Thanks again, guys for the suggestions I'm learning more and more everyday about working on this rig!
Sponsored