• Standard Gas

Votes: 36 62.1%

• Total voters

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Yes, my bet based upon what I've seen other light duty diesels packaged as is that ALL Wranglers with the diesel will have MSRP over $40k. I don't think you'll be able to buy a Sport and simply add the diesel engine to it, because they've never allowed that in the past on other Jeeps and GM doesn't allow that on the Colorado either. They make you buy a higher trim which adds cost and then tack on $4,000 for the diesel engine so you end up well into the $40s to even get into a diesel model. It's ridiculous.
There is an exception to that rule in that the RAM 1500 in base trim (Tradesman) can be had with the 3.0L EcoDiesel (most expensive engine) as a ~$4000 upgrade. Considering that RAM and Jeep are both under the FCA umbrella, I think it MIGHT be possible that a base Sport Wrangler could be optioned to have the top of the line EcoDiesel. Just expect to pay the ~4k premium like in the RAMs.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
There is an exception to that rule in that the RAM 1500 in base trim (Tradesman) can be had with the 3.0L EcoDiesel (most expensive engine) as a ~$4000 upgrade. Considering that RAM and Jeep are both under the FCA umbrella, I think it MIGHT be possible that a base Sport Wrangler could be optioned to have the top of the line EcoDiesel. Just expect to pay the ~4k premium like in the RAMs.
I hear what you're saying, but what trim levels were required to get a 3.0 ecodiesel in a JEEP Grand Cherokee?

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
You have to define "better".

The diesel will be better at towing, but the JL tow rating will be low. The diesel will also get better MPG, but diesel fuel prices are higher so it's a wash.

In EVERY other aspect, the other engine options will be better. More horsepower, cheaper to buy, cheaper to service, cheaper to repair, less problematic emissions systems, easier to find fuel, parts will be more common, etc. etc.
And what is the cost of the diesel engine option? $4-5K over gas? We need to know that. Then the MPG delta between gas and diesel? We need to know that. And there is the cost of the urea additive. I'm not sure if that is significant or not. probably not, but a maintenance item. To answer the OP's question, we need to fill in the blanks. Also, don't forget, there is an aversion to diesel in the US due to the horrible implementation of diesel in the 80's (but some of you may not even have been a twinkle in daddy's eye at that time). :)

See this https://www.fool.com/investing/gene...gas-which-is-the-better-fuel-and-vehicle.aspx

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I hear what you're saying, but what trim levels were required to get a 3.0 ecodiesel in a JEEP Grand Cherokee?
Honestly, I have no idea, lol. I never considered the JGC in my new car quest so I never bothered to build it. I only considered RAM and the Wrangler. I'm assuming by your comment that the JGC could only be optioned with the EcoDiesel in top trim levels.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Honestly, I have no idea, lol. I never considered the JGC in my new car quest so I never bothered to build it. I only considered RAM and the Wrangler. I'm assuming by your comment that the JGC could only be optioned with the EcoDiesel in top trim levels.
That would be correct. I wouldn't expect anything different for the Wrangler. But hey, I've been wrong before so I guess we will see.

Sponsored

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2014 GC Limited with a Hemi
The 4.10 gearing in my Rubicon with a 3.6 gas engine gives it plenty of get up and go. The automatic also works great off-road with the 4:1 gearing in 4L. My main concern for a life-long diesel Jeep would be fuel availability 10+ years out.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The 4.10 gearing in my Rubicon with a 3.6 gas engine gives it plenty of get up and go. The automatic also works great off-road with the 4:1 gearing in 4L. My main concern for a life-long diesel Jeep would be fuel availability 10+ years out.
You don't think trucks will be around in 10 years?

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Well I am in the same boat, 2.0, 3.6, 3.0...

But I am not impressed with Diesels for real world off roading... And I was surprised by all the post and nobody said anything on this topic..

I went through the same dilemma when buying my Dodge truck.. Cummins or Gas....

But my experience in the dunes at Pismo beach, the mud pits of Azusa canyon or the rocks on the dusy...

Nothing beats light weight and immediate wheeling spinning HP & torque to keep you out of trouble when you were not expecting it..

Sometimes you have to fly through it... Or lift the front end with instant torque at the right time.

The weight of the Cummins and the slow spin up of turbo based torque meant you already dug a hole before 600FT/LB of torque could get the wheels moving..

My Old 1974 W300 4x4 with a 440 500HP big block would do circles around my 2008 Dodge Cummins off road.. Same size tires and lockers etc, Mainly because of the instance thumping torque and HP... 440 would pull hard from 1400 rpm to 6k, Cummings, 1200 rpm to 3k.. That is double the working RPM range to deal with obstacles.. And zero turbo lag.. certainly twin turbos changed the game, but the Jl 2.0 has an old school turbo...

Certainly the Cummins could pull a house up a grade and have better MPG.. And the 2.0 numbers tell some story, but there is more to real wheelin than a high hp and torque on a chart.

But i would by a tesla if in wanted MPG...

I wish Jeep would just add a Hemi option, then we could just call it a day... I can appreciate a 2.0 turbo, I have a Explorer with twin turbos and it works great.. But the explorer has "twin and twice the liters" and weighs the same as a Jeep...

I expect the 2.0 to be weak, after a little gear in the back, a trailer, think about it and I expect the 3.6 to be weak as well as reported already by current owners..

I am leaning toward the 3.6 and using performance enhancements to deal with the inadequate HP in all these power train options..

Give me a JL hemi or bust....(Or all electric tesla motors at each axle will work too, My Chevy Volt had instance acceleration)

HP and torque #s' are one thing.. instance response is everything with real HP behind it, in a light weight package is what is needed...

We all have lived and appreciated people doing simple light weight V8 swaps to get things moving..

Unfortunately, Jeep has let us down again...

And yes i am buying one.. but i am not happy with the engine options...

Just my 2 cents...

TC

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Give me a JL hemi or bust....(Or all electric tesla motors at each axle will work too, My Chevy Volt had instance acceleration)

HP and torque #s' are one thing.. instance response is everything with real HP behind it, in a light weight package is what is needed...

We all have lived and appreciated people doing simple light weight V8 swaps to get things moving..

Unfortunately, Jeep has let us down again...

And yes i am buying one.. but i am not happy with the engine options...

Just my 2 cents...

TC
I echo this.... dropping in a 6.4 would be what I’d want to see. Funny the Mopar Jeep brochure lists the Hemi crate engines there for upgrades, but when I look it up they don’t show them on the Mopar site.

ToolMonkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Silveraldo 2500HD(Diesel)(Work), 2018 Traverse(High Country)(Daily Driver), 2012 Ninja 1000(Toy), Waiting on V6 Pentastar BDG JL(Toy)
Occupation
Construction, Self Employed
I'm one of the people that's holding out for a diesel, I just prefer them. I've had nothing but great experiences with my Duramax. With that being said, there is no way I'm buying a auto transmission.. Again just personal preference. But I haven't heard anything about if you get a diesel you have no choice, but to get an Auto. Is this a fact?
If so I don't have to continue waiting,
If anyone has solid info on whether or not the Diesel will not, or will have a manual transmission option, please let me know.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
But I haven't heard anything about if you get a diesel you have no choice, but to get an Auto. Is this a fact?
If so I don't have to continue waiting,
If anyone has solid info on whether or not the Diesel will not, or will have a manual transmission option, please let me know.
No official confirmation of much about the diesel other than the basics of the engine.
Might see it in the smaller export diesel, but unlikely to be mated with the 3.0L diesel.

The biggest problem is the torque handling of the manual transmission, and with even more torque than the current EcoDiesel, it’s even less likely to be mated to the manual, especially since they need a transmission upgrade for the auto which by default handles 500NM/370lbft, which is likely more than the Aisin. The trouble is finding a manual transmission that handles the large torque rating and has a gear ratio/spread. 600NM/442lbft of the next EcoDiesel is significantly more than that 500NM, so they can’t just wiggle room it like the 2.8L CRD which was already detuned. And few people would want to pay a large diesel premium for an engine that was severly restricted losing 100+NM / 75+lbft of torque. Plus with tuners, it’s doubtful FCA would trust just detuning it, let alone even an engine that would be anywhere near a transmission’s limit.

That it isn’t offered on the 2.0T is an indication it likely won’t be offered for the N.Am. diesel either. Although it even makes me wonder about the export 2.2L diesel’s 440NM/325lbft, which is over 10% more than the torque of the 2.0T that doesn’t get it.

At this point there is no solid denial of diesel + manual being an option, but there isn’t any mention of it in being available in any of the release and leak stuff sofar. Every mention and roadmao specifically detail the diesel with a more robust automatic transmission.

SOoo... you can wait, but it’s likely all for naught.

ToolMonkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Silveraldo 2500HD(Diesel)(Work), 2018 Traverse(High Country)(Daily Driver), 2012 Ninja 1000(Toy), Waiting on V6 Pentastar BDG JL(Toy)
Occupation
Construction, Self Employed
No official confirmation of much about the diesel other than the basics of the engine.
Might see it in the smaller export diesel, but unlikely to be mated with the 3.0L diesel.

The biggest problem is the torque handling of the manual transmission, and with even more torque than the current EcoDiesel, it’s even less likely to be mated to the manual, especially since they need a transmission upgrade for the auto which by default handles 500NM/370lbft, which is likely more than the Aisin. The trouble is finding a manual transmission that handles the large torque rating and has a gear ratio/spread. 600NM/442lbft of the next EcoDiesel is significantly more than that 500NM, so they can’t just wiggle room it like the 2.8L CRD which was already detuned. And few people would want to pay a large diesel premium for an engine that was severly restricted losing 100+NM / 75+lbft of torque. Plus with tuners, it’s doubtful FCA would trust just detuning it, let alone even an engine that would be anywhere near a transmission’s limit.

That it isn’t offered on the 2.0T is an indication it likely won’t be offered for the N.Am. diesel either. Although it even makes me wonder about the export 2.2L diesel’s 440NM/325lbft, which is over 10% more than the torque of the 2.0T that doesn’t get it.

At this point there is no solid denial of diesel + manual being an option, but there isn’t any mention of it in being available in any of the release and leak stuff sofar. Every mention and roadmao specifically detail the diesel with a more robust automatic transmission.

SOoo... you can wait, but it’s likely all for naught.
That was a great reply, thank you.
From everything I've researched, I've come up with the same conclusion. I'm not waiting, looks like a Pentastar w/manual is in my near future.
Sponsored