Votes: 36 62.1%

• Total voters

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
Need some help ya'll

I'm looking at getting a new Jeep Wangler when the 2018 comes out. I had a Wangler with the 4.0 5 speed and loved it. I had thought I would get the new 3.6 with the 6 speed standard transmission for better gas mileage and off road capabilities and it's a Jeep so it should be standard. When I heard about them finally releasing a diesel jeep I was very excited. I also am a big fan of diesel and also have a Duarmax. I would love to have a Wrangler with a Diesel engine again for the better mileage, reliability, and the low end torque for off road and pulling. However, from what I understand it will only have an auto transmission. So the question is which do you think would be better. The gas engine with the standard transmission OR the diesel engine with the auto transmission? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Need some help ya'll

I'm looking at getting a new Jeep Wangler when the 2018 comes out. I had a Wangler with the 4.0 5 speed and loved it. I had thought I would get the new 3.6 with the 6 speed standard transmission for better gas mileage and off road capabilities and it's a Jeep so it should be standard. When I heard about them finally releasing a diesel jeep I was very excited. I also am a big fan of diesel and also have a Duarmax. I would love to have a Wrangler with a Diesel engine again for the better mileage, reliability, and the low end torque for off road and pulling. However, from what I understand it will only have an auto transmission. So the question is which do you think would be better. The gas engine with the standard transmission OR the diesel engine with the auto transmission? Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure that 3.0 Ecodiesel would be more reliable than the 3.6. I know guys with the 3.6 and they appear to be VERY reliable and trouble-free. I don't know much about the diesel, but they aren't as simple as they used to be, with all of the emissions gear on them. I'd love to hear from some Ecodiesel owners to see if it is as reliable as the 3.6, or moreso.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Less Filling, or Tastes Great ?

Eat with a Fork or Spoon ?

The struggle continues...

NewApexJT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger, 2018 Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
For me I'm going with diesel, this is going to be my first new vehicle and it will hopefully last me 20 years or so. With that I think after those 20 years diesel will be a very hard option to get in vehicles due to all the emission regulations on them. I prefer them because of the power, you can put a simple chip in them and get much better MPG/HP (compared to getting the same results with gas), I do also drive long distances frequently so the MPG boost is needed. And now these days, the cost of maitnece on a diesel engine is almost the same as a gas, just look at the new GMC terrain.

And as a plus the 8-speed will be more efficient and knowing jeep, they'll put an off road mode in that will lock in certain gears or give you the ability to shift up and down.

I also do work for a heavy duty diesel generator company and I'm sure if I got anything but the oil burner, my boss would shoot me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Diesel auto vote here, I don't want a manual for my JL.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You have to define "better".

The diesel will be better at towing, but the JL tow rating will be low. The diesel will also get better MPG, but diesel fuel prices are higher so it's a wash.

In EVERY other aspect, the other engine options will be better. More horsepower, cheaper to buy, cheaper to service, cheaper to repair, less problematic emissions systems, easier to find fuel, parts will be more common, etc. etc.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel prices here in Idaho are a $0.05 a gallon difference between Gas and Diesel, and will probably be even closer now with Houston underwater and a bunch of refineries closed.

My personal opinion is that the diesel will result in a much more enjoyable drive day to day, and be even more noticeable if you plan on modifying your JL. The low end TQ will be better for stop and go traffic, merging on hwys, and even doing some crawling on trails. The better range means less stops at the gas station, and better fuel economy. Also the diesel will have better resale value as they always do over their gas counterparts.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I think I'm staying with one of the gas burning motors because I think the diesel will be out of my price range. With the JL price hike plus the extra dough for the diesel you will be pushing $40k out the door for a JLU. I was hoping to stay in the lower $30k range and that will probably mean base engine for me. The diesel fuel savings will take years to recover. I don't keep my vehicles that long.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think I'm staying with one of the gas burning motors because I think the diesel will be out of my price range. With the JL price hike plus the extra dough for the diesel you will be pushing $40k out the door for a JLU. I was hoping to stay in the lower $30k range and that will probably mean base engine for me. The diesel fuel savings will take years to recover. I don't keep my vehicles that long.
Yes, my bet based upon what I've seen other light duty diesels packaged as is that ALL Wranglers with the diesel will have MSRP over $40k. I don't think you'll be able to buy a Sport and simply add the diesel engine to it, because they've never allowed that in the past on other Jeeps and GM doesn't allow that on the Colorado either. They make you buy a higher trim which adds cost and then tack on $4,000 for the diesel engine so you end up well into the $40s to even get into a diesel model. It's ridiculous.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Poynter32

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
I'm not worried about the package the diesel with be in. I had planned on getting a rubicon regardless of getting gas or diesel. As for what is "better" I intentionally left that part out for you guys to explain why the answer you give is better. I don't think price should be used in determining better however. However thank you everyone for your responses. I look forward to hearing many more hopefully.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Fuel prices here in Idaho are a $0.05 a gallon difference between Gas and Diesel, and will probably be even closer now with Houston underwater and a bunch of refineries closed.

My personal opinion is that the diesel will result in a much more enjoyable drive day to day, and be even more noticeable if you plan on modifying your JL. The low end TQ will be better for stop and go traffic, merging on hwys, and even doing some crawling on trails. The better range means less stops at the gas station, and better fuel economy. Also the diesel will have better resale value as they always do over their gas counterparts.
Would assume diesel will have less effect on MPG as you add mods as well.

GI Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Waiting on next Wrangler
I agree. The diesel should power the Wrangler VERY nicely in all conditions. And the resale should be great. The footnote on the JL timeline says FCA is targeting 30,000 diesel JL produced a year compared to 212,000 JL's powered by the other engines. So diesel JL's will be comparatively rare.

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
I agree. The diesel should power the Wrangler VERY nicely in all conditions. And the resale should be great. The footnote on the JL timeline says FCA is targeting 30,000 diesel JL produced a year compared to 212,000 JL's powered by the other engines. So diesel JL's will be comparatively rare.
I wonder if those projections are for first year only. If they are, we could see the projected diesel production # go higher after the first year because the diesel will start production 8-9 months after the Pentastar and Turbo 4 models.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Also remember that diesel number includes exports.
If it's based on previous trends, then it's likely half of that number is exports (which are usually about 30K/yr and just under half diesel thanks to the Pentastar, but could switch back towards diesel with a nice newer option).

I am surprised that that combined number is just 242K/yr which seems low consdiering they built the plant to expand capacity well beyond the current 248K from last year, so unsure if that's slow ramp up, or conservative forecasting (in part due to sharing market with JK ?).

I'll take projections with a grain of salt, both the RAM and Grand Cherokee projections fell short, with the RAM getting close (especially with discounts), but the GC nowhere near projections even despite heavy discounts. I think it will do better than the GC and might even see the diesel JL(U) steal a lot of former diesel GC owners.

I think there is a ton of pent-up diesel JL demand, and will be a great fit for a large percentage, it'll just be interesting if that inital push continues past the first 18 months of availability.
Sponsored

Last edited: