First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Its time to take off the hard top (some might said that I should have taken it off a month ago) and staying in high rise with very limited parking space - it means that I have to find ways to store my hard top in the least noticeable way possible. I have been searching for a 2 door JL hard top cover but I could not find one in the market. The closest one is made by best top (I think) and it is only for JK. I was hoping to get a black storage cover - but so far I am yet to find one that is made for 2 door JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need recommendations on hard top cover Screenshot 2021-06-03 102419

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can cover up my hard top when it is not in use. I am planning to store it on my inside parking spot - in front of my Jeep. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Better sink some bolts in the floor and get some really strong chains!! That won't last a week if people see it sitting there in your spot.

G.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
If you need a storage unit, get one that can hold your top as well as your extra stuff.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
oooh, that is nice of you to put it on a cart & use a cover to protect it while I transport it somewhere to sell it......

what was your address again?

Sponsored

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I have been in this predicament. One year I got a storage unit. The next year I took it off at a friends house and left it in his basement and gave him a growler from a local brewery. My advice is get a storage unit for this year and spend the winter making more Jeep friends!

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is why I wasn't really able to take the top off my JK for so many years, I lived in an apartment in a sketch area with no place secure to store it, even though our parking garage was gated.

If you think you have to hide it to keep it safe, it's not safe. It'll be gone if you leave it out. And if not just flat out stolen, some jackwagon will end up hitting it with their car or something.

Get a storage unit. You can rent it for just the months you're going topless. Store the doors in there, too. Then drop the unit when summer is over.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Peeps - thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate you sharing your experience and humor. I intend to chain my hard top to the railing of my parking spot. The reason why I need it to be less conspicuous us that the neighbors that uses the garage does not focused on the fact that I have something stored in my parking space every time someone drives up the ramp (it is permissible though as it is part of my vehicle.

The garage is very secure - and thankfully I am living in a residential area. I am not worry about it being stolen at all as there are way many other better vehicle, motorcycles and parts that other people would steal first.

I understand about storing it in a storage unit, I do have a small storage unit that I have been using for 10 years and I am going to consolidate it because it is way too expensive to keep things that I am not using in that space (I had to pay around $250 a month [don't ask - that is the ongoing price] for a 5 X 10 storage unit) I don't want to play a few hundreds more for another storage area even though it is just temporary. The idea is really good though. I might do that next summer after I clear off the current storage area and just get a smaller unit just to store the hard top.

Bill aka Liquids - thank you so much for sharing the photo of how you store your top. That was pretty ingenious!!! Being in the garage I will not be able to do that but I have 2 dr Jeep and there are ample place to put my hardtop in front of my Jeep.

Thank you for all of your concerns. If my hard top got stolen, I will come back and let you know so that you can say that you told me so. Haha :) But I am really looking for something that I could use to cover my hardtop. Cheers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I have been using oversized king mattress bags. Works ok. Store in garage
Quick update - thought I share - thanks to you guys that has been giving really awesome recommendations. I checked out the moving blanket but decided to settle with some tarp from Home Depot. I cover the top with tarp and then I followed DoubleAaron recommendations of using oversized mattress king bag that I got from Amazon for about $32.

I drapped it over and secure it with ratched strap. It does not look super neat like the cover but I think it will do. It was a bit warm in the garage and taking down the top took me a while so I might just go back and adjust it to neaten it up a bit. I am also putting to mini ramp in front of my 2 doors Jeep so that I know the precise location to stop. No worries the garage is pretty secure.

Thank you again!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Need recommendations on hard top cover 20210609_124145

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
On topic, let us know how that works out Ken. Personally I'd be worried, but I religiously put the top up in Sunriver if I'm parked more than five minutes - the one time I didn't I got bird shit on my rear seats - so maybe I'm overly cautious.

And post some cartoons when you get a chance, roll on the haters 🤣

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
On topic, let us know how that works out Ken. Personally I'd be worried, but I religiously put the top up in Sunriver if I'm parked more than five minutes - the one time I didn't I got bird shit on my rear seats - so maybe I'm overly cautious.

And post some cartoons when you get a chance, roll on the haters 🤣
Bro!!! You made my day! Thank you for making me laugh!! I appreciate you!!!
Sponsored