Sponsored

Need recommendations for hide a key soulutions on JLUR?

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
How are you imagining you are going to lock the keys in the vehicle? It’s next to impossible. The doors won’t lock with the keys inside.
Easy enough to do on my Sport with manual locks. Then again, it’s easy to get back in through the soft top...
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Easy enough to do on my Sport with manual locks. Then again, it’s easy to get back in through the soft top...
Sure, but you’re not the OP who has “the proximity sensor doors etc.”

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I just don't understand this thread. Hide a key.....for what reason? You can unlock the JLUR with your phone via Uconnect, Jeep is the worlds easiest vehicle to open if locked, you can take the soft top off and open a door. Even with the hard top on, you can easily open the Jeep up. What am I missing here?

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Duct tape it to the underside of the fuse box cover under the hood.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I just don't understand this thread. Hide a key.....for what reason? You can unlock the JLUR with your phone via Uconnect, Jeep is the worlds easiest vehicle to open if locked, you can take the soft top off and open a door. Even with the hard top on, you can easily open the Jeep up. What am I missing here?
I didnt know this..THANKS. I'll check into it.

Still, if in the bonnies, phone out of juice it is still wise to have a plan. Your method is still better then crawling on the ground to retrieve a spare under the rig IF you have phone working.

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
In your world you aren’t missing anything, it’s an outdoors thing...

OP
OP

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
Hmm. If you have a key fob hidden under the hood in close proximity to the front door, won’t the vehicle see that as a key nearby and allow you to touch the door handle and unlock the Jeep? Assuming you have that feature, of course. If I’m 3 feet away, someone else can touch the handle and the door unlocks.
How are you imagining you are going to lock the keys in the vehicle? It’s next to impossible. The doors won’t lock with the keys inside.
if there is a way I or someone in my family will do it:)

OP
OP

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
I am learning here also, how do you unlock your jeep with your phone? is this some kind of service you have to pay for?
I remember somehting through sirius, but I dont have that?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am learning here also, how do you unlock your jeep with your phone? is this some kind of service you have to pay for?
I remember somehting through sirius, but I dont have that?

Sponsored

Duffinator

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
I drove my TJ for 20 years and kept a spare in my wallet. from either being distracted or running out to your car with your key in a bag, I used that spare more then I would like to admit. The laser cut key is just too bulky for this to be an option. And the phone app? what about no signal or a dead battery? And since I have a hardtop, poping a back zipper and climbing in is not an option either. The hitch looks like a good idea. But ether pulling something off the back, or opening the hood and pulling open a fuse box may not be the most convenient option while giving off the APPEARANCE of illegal activity. I found this image of a flip up plate mount that looks interesting. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

67178c2bedec5fb5e0e10ef8bad991d7.jpg

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
HI, I am looking at getting a spare key made (without the keyfob/electronics just the laser cut key)
has a precaution in case I lock my key in jeep. first question is what "hide a key" do you recommend for a jeep that will get dirty and bang around off road?

and second questions is if I lock my key in jeep. and I use the external laser cut key to open door will it set off alarm?
and if it does how do I get alarm to turn off? I have the proximity sensor doors etc..

thks
You may be solving the wrong problem the wrong way, dare I say. For reasons already mentioned locking the fob in the rig (note to you having a Sahara) won't happen if the battery's working. If it isn't and you manage to lock it in the rig, as mentioned, the physical extra key will get you in to the sound of the alarm, where after your left-in-the-rig dead fob can be placed up against the start button to depress it, start the engine, and calm the alarm.

The issue most solved in these cases is if your fob goes missing, particular when distanced from home. That one, already discussed well here, I think was best solved by a former poster who placed his extra fob in the rig, in a Faraday bag, wither locked in the glove compartment or console, or hidden inside/on the rig, along with an extra physical key in a external to the rig storage device. If you lose your primary fob you use the physical hidden externally key for entrance and alarm, open the glove box or console to get your backup key, or find it in its hiding place, take it out of the Faraday bag, cancel the alarm, and be on your way.

OP
OP

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
You may be solving the wrong problem the wrong way, dare I say. For reasons already mentioned locking the fob in the rig (note to you having a Sahara) won't happen if the battery's working. If it isn't and you manage to lock it in the rig, as mentioned, the physical extra key will get you in to the sound of the alarm, where after your left-in-the-rig dead fob can be placed up against the start button to depress it, start the engine, and calm the alarm.

The issue most solved in these cases is if your fob goes missing, particular when distanced from home. That one, already discussed well here, I think was best solved by a former poster who placed his extra fob in the rig, in a Faraday bag, wither locked in the glove compartment or console, or hidden inside/on the rig, along with an extra physical key in a external to the rig storage device. If you lose your primary fob you use the physical hidden externally key for entrance and alarm, open the glove box or console to get your backup key, or find it in its hiding place, take it out of the Faraday bag, cancel the alarm, and be on your way.
yea...so my solution is to put one in a faraday bag and use it has a hideakey. Have tested it and no issues so far. if I lose my key I have an extra one well hidden.

it is hard to lock key inside vehicle (maybe not possible unless batteries dead or some outlyer circumstance). But that still doesn't mean you dont need an extra key hidden on your jeep in a way that communicating with your jeep/confusing system to think key is in cab. great suggestion on the faraday bag.