Sponsored

Need recommendations for hide a key soulutions on JLUR?

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
OK, here you go with the cheap and easy method. I have proximity sensors and was worried I'd be somewhere and loose the primary fob. I don't always have cell coverage, especially not in the places loosing the fob would be an issue. My local locksmith did not have a replacement key so I ordered one from ebay based on forum advise. It was for a renegade. Locksmith engraved it for $15 and suggested I put a plastic straw around the cut area. Did that, opened the hood and taped the key to a hose. Black hose, black tape. Barely noticeable. I encased the secondary fob in aluminum foil and hid it inside. I was really glad I did that when the battery failed prematurely on the primary fob and they got locked inside! Yes, you can be locked out with the proximity key inside.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
This thread is a joke!! Nothing more than showing a thief where to find a "hidden key". I have a special place where I put mine. I'll be damned if I go on a social media platform and help a crook.

4a4c55

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911, M3, JLU
What am I missing here?
I take my Jeep lots of places that don't have cellular coverage. And I don't want to pay $20/month for XM-Guardian.

How are you imagining you are going to lock the keys in the vehicle? It’s next to impossible. The doors won’t lock with the keys inside.
I tried this today, and it was easy to lock myself out of the car.

1. Open the door.
  2. Leave the vehicle.
  3. From outside, lock the car with the remote button.
  4. Put the keys in the car.
  5. Close the door.
You're now locked out! I don't have proximity entry, so maybe that's what's missing?

Last edited:

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
  1. Open the door.
  2. Leave the vehicle.
  3. From outside, lock the car with the remote button.
  4. Put the keys in the car.
  5. Close the door.
You're now locked out! I don't have proximity entry, so maybe that's what's missing?
I mean, I know Jeep R&D plans for stupid people operating the vehicle. But come on. Who locks the door then throws the keys in the car??

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I mean, I know Jeep R&D plans for stupid people operating the vehicle. But come on. Who locks the door then throws the keys in the car??
I have never locked my key in any car, but that chain of events is not hard to believe.

You keep your key in a backpack or purse, you go to get something out of the back. You know it will take two hands. You lock the car before you grab it so you can just shut the door/tailgate with your hips/butt. You grab what you need, shut the tailgate… where’s the key? Shoot! You put your backpack/purse down when you grabbed the two handed thing from the back.

I’m sure there are other situations, but things like that are common enough they’ve been a side plot device on various sitcoms and movies.

Sponsored

4a4c55

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911, M3, JLU
Maybe you're a commercial airline pilot or cardiothoratic surgeon and never make mistakes. Most of us do, and the rest of us at least have the empathy and creativity to imagine situations where it can happen.
  1. Unlock Jeep
  2. Open door
  3. Lock Jeep
  4. Put keys in pocket
  5. take off shorts
  6. toss them in
  7. Get out long pants
  8. Put 'em on
  9. Close the door
or could be

1. Unlock jeep
  2. Open door
  3. Lock Jeep
  4. Get thing
  5. Too tippy! Put down keys in cargo area, use both hands
  6. Take thing
  7. Close door
Either way, we can see that claim that "The doors won’t lock with the keys inside." just isn't true.
I have never locked my key in any car, but that chain of events is not hard to believe.
I did once, in my twenties. And I insist that the airport valet lot attendant was at least partially culpable. Jeeps are meant for interesting adventures, and I don't want to get locked out 400 kilometers away from any kind of help, particularly when the Jeep is also my primary shelter.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I don’t remember this being so expensive, but something like this could be an option. There are cheaper versions.
You may need to line it or fashion a faraday bag to keep the key in here and not start the car, though.
HitchSafe HS7000 Key Vault
Jeep Wrangler JL Need recommendations for hide a key soulutions on JLUR? IMG_4810
https://a.co/d/2E1gooi

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

I don’t remember this being so expensive, but something like this could be an option. There are cheaper versions.
You may need to line it or fashion a faraday bag to keep the key in here and not start the car, though.
HitchSafe HS7000 Key Vault
Jeep Wrangler JL Need recommendations for hide a key soulutions on JLUR? IMG_4810
https://a.co/d/2E1gooi
+1 We rented a Jeep via Turo in Tucson last year; the owner used one of these. When we finished our rental and parked at the airport, we just put the key in the HitchSafe and walked away. Works great. - eBay has it at a better price than Amazon.

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I don't like hitch safes. It's painfully obvious there could be something in there. Probably a key!

In my JK, I had a metal blank cut so I could open the doors. Cost about $5 at the hardware store. Taped it to the back of the battery. Never needed it in 10 years, but always knew it was there...

In another vehicle, I bought a mini Pelican case just larger than a key fob. Faraday bag over the key, key in the case, case somewhere on the vehicle where it stays in place via magnet and won't wiggle free.

Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Always kept a set of extra keys in my work locker.

sunset

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Camaro Berlinetta, 2024 Wrangler Rubicon 392
The Hitch-Safe listing on Amazon had reviews from a few folks that said theirs rusted and could not be opened without sledging it to pieces.

Talking about locking your keys in, it also showed a video as follows, but not a Wrangler and not a fob:

1. Women gets out to pump gas
2. Leaves keys in ignition
3. shuts door with all windows rolled up.
4. dog inside car gets excited, jumps around, steps on power door lock button on console.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Just so everyone knows, If you have a hard top, and a 10mm wrench, you can remove the rear windows and climb inside to unlock your Jeep. There is a plastic cover over the hing bolts. Pop the cover off undue the bolts.....

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Just so everyone knows, If you have a hard top, and a 10mm wrench, you can remove the rear windows and climb inside to unlock your Jeep. There is a plastic cover over the hing bolts. Pop the cover off undue the bolts.....
Good tip! I've 100% locked myself out of my Jeep before. It's actually easy to do if you have manual locks. Especially back when I had a fob.

1. Fob sitting in middle console or on passenger seat
2. Leave vehicle and manually lock door by hand as you close the door
3. Instant regret.